2008 Chevrolet Impala electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Chevrolet Impala:

2008 Chevrolet Impala Owner Comments (Page 6 of 10)

Jun 202014

Rear passenger doors will not unlock, trapping passengers after parking vehicle nether of the rear passenger doors could be opened. Both rear passenger doors remain locked and could not be unlocked using ether the lock controls located on the drivers side door control or with the key fob. My 90+ year old parent was in rear passenger compartment. Due to severe dementia they became panicky and agitated when they were unable to get out of the vehicle. They did not have the ability to open the door using the passenger lock nor could they follow instructions to do so. This would be the same situation as having a small child trapped N the rear. The rear door manual locking mechanism are located to far back to be reached from the drivers compartment. I was only able to free him by entering the truck and pushing one of the rear seats flat to access the passenger area. Had this been a crash or vehicle fire any passenger in rear compartment would have perished. A review of Impala owner complaints on several web sites indicates there is a common issue with the rear door locks on these Impala but GM has not offered to fix what is an obvious safety hazard.

- Canton, MI, USA

Aug 122014

I was driving in the rain on my way to work on a highway. With out warning my steering locks up, my battery light and engine lights turn on. Along with this my cars temp goes through the roof. This is happening at 65 mph its 3 am I can no longer see or control my vehicle. Thanks to my skilled driving I was able to pull the car over. I can't figure out what is wrong with my car I've had a professional look at it he doesn't know what do over than replace parts and do trial and error. Im lucky to be alive every time I drive in the rain but its not me that I'm worried about. I don't want anybody to get hurt or killed due to my steering locking up.

- Mechanicsburg, PA, USA

Feb 012013

Impala 8-cyl

The electric door locks lock / unlock intermittently. When the car is started all the door locks should automatically lock, but they do not always lock. In addition, when you park the car and hit the door lock key all the door locks will not lock. When you start the car you have to manually check the door locks to make sure they have all locked. This is a serious safety issue if you have children in the car. In addition, when you park the car, you have to manually maker sure all the door locks actually lock.when I contacted my local dealer about the issue they stated that they had repaired a few vehicles for the door lock failures, but there was no recall. They indicated that the grease used for the locks melted and leaked into the lock solenoid causing the failures. I researched the issue on the internet and found many people who own the 2008/2009 Chevy Impala and Malibu are complaining about the same issue.

- Romulus, MI, USA

Aug 102010

Impala 6-cyl

The back doors and the front passenger door will only lock and unlock manually.

- Stone Mountain, GA, USA

Jul 152012

The ngine of my 2008 Impala completely shut off on two occasions approximately two years ago after hitting a relatively large pot hole. In the first incident, I was traveling West bound on snell road (oakland township, mi) between orion and rochester road and hit a large pot hole traveling approximately 40 miles per hour and the vehicle engine and electrical system completely shut off. As I recall, I steered the vehicle (manually) to the side of the road, put the vehicle in park, and restarted the engine. No other cars were coming either way. A similar incident happened approximately 3 months later as I was heading eastbound on snell road between mt. Vernon and rochester road. When the GM ignition recalls started, I did not correlate these incidents with the recall. However, when I read a newspaper account recently of a GM employee experiencing the same situation with her 2006 Impala, I realized it must have been an ignition issue as well. I assumed the 2008 Impala would be recalled like the 2006 Impala but to date, I the 2008 Impala has not yet been recalled. Please contact me with any further questions.

- Oakland Township, MI, USA

Mar 032014

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that the key could be removed from the ignition when the ignition was in the on position. The failure recurred intermittently. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 118,000.

- St Louis, MO, USA

May 142013

I was driving when vehicle lost power and car shut off. I put the car in neutral and restarted the motor and this has happened on a few occasions. More recently, at times car will not turn over or crank and the check engine light comes on. Then suddenly the car cranks and after some time has passed the check engine light shuts off. I took the car to the dealership and they told me it was the battery. I replaced the battery at the dealership but it still does the same thing. I took the car back to the dealership but the dealership said they could not find the problem. So I took the car to another mechanic and he told me it was the ignition 1 switch circuit 2 (code P1682).

- Lancaster, TX, USA

May 142013

- Lancaster, TX, USA

Apr 172013

Impala 6-cyl

While driving 65mph vehicle just died. Was not able to start for about 15 mins. This has happened several times nearly causing several accidents. The vehicle intermittently has reduced engine power while driving and jerks from a complete stop sometimes. Now the oil engine pressure/turn off engine light and alarm go off all the time. Replace the sensor, but to no avail. The loud knocking sound from the dash is utterly annoying. I think the fact that only the police cars got recalled is insane, no matter what the recall was. I'm sure once they took those vehicles in; all the other issues I have mentioned were also fixed. Also the rear driver side power lock is faulty and unsafe when traveling with young children. I honestly believe with so many consumers having the exact same problems, GM should issue a recall on these vehicles before several tragedies occur and we then just become statistics. Please help. There are so many of us out here with the exact same issues on these Impala who should not have to pay for the repair of something that apparently should be recalled by GM. Thank you for your attention to this matter. Updated 2/18/2015

- Albuquerque, NM, USA

Feb 052014

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated while driving approximately 35 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle restarted and resumed normally. The failure recurred four times. There was a recall related to the failure under NHTSA campaign id number 14V355000 (electrical system); however, the VIN was not included. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the defect. The approximate failure mileage was 58,000.

- Brooklyn, OH, USA

May 292014

While driving to work on 29 May 2014 I hit a small pothole. The pothole is 10" across, 3-4" deep, and I hit it head on. This caused my car to shut off, which I didn't realize until I tried to accelerate. I then realized I had no power steering or breaks and had to pull off to the side of the road to restart the car. Luckily there were no cars behind me, so other than having to pull off the road on a curve I was lucky. I called both my local GM dealer (ressler of bozeman, mt) and GM customer support to tell them about the issue. The local dealer told me there was no issue with the car, no recalls, and nothing to worry about. The technician told me to "avoid hitting potholes". given the state of the roads that may be hard to do. The GM support told me there was no recall at the moment but there might be one down the road and to watch the news.

- Livingston, MT, USA

Jun 122012

Impala 6-cyl

Picking up grand children at curbside from school the doors fail to unlock causing me to go out in traffic get in the car and start it in order to roll down the windows so that the kids can unlock the doors manually that is if they are not distracted by something. This is a safety issue because you never know what a 4, 6 and 7 year old will do. Also the child safety lock feature doesn't work when car is put in drive.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Mar 242010

I too am very upset with the issue with the door lock issue. The back passenger drivers side door does not unlock with the fob or the door unlock control. The only way to physically unlock the door is to recline the drivers seat and reach back and unlock the door manually. In the event of an emergency this is B.S. I have done much research on the internet on this subject and was overwhelmed by the number of other people with the same issue. This is so disturbing! I wish Chevrolet would do the right thing and make it right to its customers.

- Cochrane, WI, USA

Feb 012012

Impala 6-cyl

2008 Chevrolet Impala. Consumer writes in regards to recalls and faulty parts on vehicle. The consumer stated he experienced a reduction in engine power continuously, which resulted in the vehicle stalling, in traffic.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Nov 172010

Impala 6-cyl

I purchased my 2008 Chevy Impala in 2009 about a yr after my purchase I noticed my rear drivers side door would not lock or unlock with either the keyless remote or the lock button on the door since then the front passenger door lock has did the same thing. But the final straw was now the rear passenger door has went out. That is unacceptable to me and my family I have two small grandbabies one of them with cancer, that are both in carseats. If any of the doors lock they cannot I repeat cannot be unlocked from the outside nor can they be unlocked from the keyless remote or the button on the door once the doors are locked the only way they can be unlocked is by tilting the seat back and manually unlocking them. This is putting my grandchildren in grave danger if we are in an accident and I cannot get to them no one else can either unless they knock the window out, which endangers the children. I demand to know why when it comes to thousands of children's lives being put in danger by a defect of your product that your company is dragging your feet on recalling these cars. Your recalling millions of cars for this defect and that defect but your # 1 priority should be to protect the children that cant protect themselves. And all us parents/grandparents are at our wits end. We bought your product in good faith now its time for your company to do what's right recall all these -2008- and other Chevy Impala for faulty door actuators before children get hurt or god forbid killed. Very worried and unhappy grandmother.

- Albertville, AL, USA

Jun 102014

Impala 6-cyl

Was driving on busy one lane road, reduced speed, check traction control, check engine light came on and car slowed down to 45 and would not go any faster, was able to pull off of road and shut car off started about 5 minutes later no indication of the problem. Two days later the problem came back. Went to internet to check problem seems like there have been 100,000 S of these problems many resulting in accidents. It does not show that there has been a recall. This is very serious if I would have been on a freeway with trucks traveling at high speed I could have been killed. What has the vehicle safety board done to protect owners of faulty vehicles?

- Shoshone, ID, USA

May 092014

Impala 6-cyl

Our 2008 Impala ls, with 100,000 miles, is having the same problem I am seeing at this web site and all across the internet. Last month, may, 2014, and this month, June, 2014, there was a sudden reduced power alert on the dashboard and the check engine light came on. The speed immediately dropped to no more than 35 mph. Before I could get it to advance to have them check to see if any codes had been dropped by the computer, the check engine light went off. There was no reduced power message either, and the speed returned to normal. I was told to try fuel injector cleaner, which I did. All went well for almost a month, when the same thing happened again this month. This time I was able to get it to advance with the check engine light still on. The computer had dropped 2 codes, both related to the accelerator pedal position sensor. Advance did not have the part, nor did autozone. Fortunately, Napa did, for $90, including tax. Our local Chevy dealership wanted $50 more. Since it is a very easy part to replace even for an amateur like me, I replaced it. There are only 2 10 mm bolts to remove and an electrical connection to unplug. So it was pretty simple, and so far, this has done the trick, but it's only been 24 hours. This apparently is a job that the dealerships want to charge $300 to $400 to do. As I said, this is a widespread problem for GM, and they have not and will not, so far, do a recall. They should. I'm only out $90 so far, but other people are out much more. If I have the dreaded, follow-up problem with the throttle body, I will be out a whole lot more. I sent an E-mail to Chevrolet after the first instance, and did get a response back. I told him I didn't want to take any further action unless this happens again. I will be contacting him again now about this latest incident.

- Inwood, WV, USA

May 142014

Impala 6-cyl

Started the car, drove about a mile and a half to my destination. Parked, turned key to turn car off. Engine turned off but key no longer switches completely off in order for me to take the key out of the ignition.

- Wilmington, DE, USA

Aug 012013

Frequently, service traction control and engine power is reduced lights come on. When this happens, car is sluggish and will not accelerate. This is very dangerous because it happens unexpectedly and causes vehicle to decelerate quickly. Typically the car will start normally after sitting for 15-30 minutes but check engine light remains on for some time. Also, the message engine hot/ac off fires randomly. Temperature gauge rests at zero. It will start working again either through manual reset by removing battery cables and reconnecting or randomly start working again on its own. There are numerous reports of both issues on the internet which indicate replacement of sensors/throttle are very expensive and do not fix the issues.

- Albuquerque, NM, USA

May 072013

Impala 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that all of the doors failed to lock and could only be unlocked manually. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the door actuator needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 60,000 and the current mileage was 73,000. Updated 8/11/14 the consumer stated the vehicle has been repaired. The manufacturer paid half the cost. Updated 8/21/2014

- Pilot Grove , MO, USA