2008 Chevrolet Impala electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Chevrolet Impala:

2008 Chevrolet Impala Owner Comments (Page 7 of 10)

May 072013

Impala 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that all of the doors failed to lock and could only be unlocked manually. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the door actuator needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 60,000 and the current mileage was 73,000. Updated 8/11/14 the consumer stated the vehicle has been repaired. The manufacturer paid half the cost. Updated 8/21/2014

- Pilot Grove , MO, USA

May 032014

Impala

When driving through St. Louis around midnight on I-270 on May 3, the "engine power is reduced" message came on and the car slowed dramatically right in the middle lane of the interstate. Quite scary indeed, not to mention the lurching. After being nearly run over on both sides, I pulled off in a very dark part of town and the police came by to check on me. Initially the car wouldn't start with the message, "starting is disabled, service throttle." After about an hour, the thing allowed me to start it, but still with the "power is reduced" message. I actually drove that thing home (over 90 miles) with semis bearing down on me, alternating flashers and watching over my shoulder. Anyway, the next day, it still wouldn't run normally, but I limped over to an autozone and I replaced the throttle assembly and the throttle body (the engine code said P0651, but that was a waste of $300). No help, same message. I let the car sit. When it first started up, still had the message. But about 5 minutes later, the car started normally!!! the check engine light is on now, but those codes haven't been accurate so far. While the car was running normally, I went out and jiggled all the wiring both under the dash and above the throttle, but could not find a loose wire or get the car to shift into the "engine power reduced" message. I also tapped on and jiggled the air box (because I was told that's where the ECM is located). Still couldn't get it to go bad. Came back out the next time and the car had the "engine power is reduced" message and running horribly. I was fortunate not to be killed, these cars are moving chicanes. I am totally at a loss as to what is going on. GM service reps say "go to the dealer" but online shows this only results in a bunch of expensive replaced parts that didn't fix the problem. I only suffered a backache but this car is an accident waiting to happen.

- Altamont, IL, USA

May 042014

Impala 6-cyl

I have had many problems with the engine power being reduced due to code 2135, it's a throttle position problem that has happened maybe 50-100 times over the past year. I can clean the throttle plate and it'll be fine for a few days, but is getting progressively worse. It is very dangerous when the car's power is reduced so quickly, especially on freeways. I've nearly been rearended a few times now. I've complained to Chevrolet and they only say there isn't a recall and to take it to the dealer for service. I've contacted the dealer and was told they'd clean the throttle body, which is what I am doing. There needs to be a recall for safety's sake, this is a very deadly problem that they need to address. It's not the consumer's fault at all. Thank you.

- Cologne, MN, USA

May 022014

Impala

On Friday May 2, 2014, I went and bought $72 worth of groceries, all but $10 were frozen or cold and it was about 80 degrees outside. When I got home and went to take the groceries out of the trunk the trunk would not open. I then took it to the shop to see if they could get it open they could not. They told me that they looked the problem up online and said it was a factory defect/recall and that if I took it to an actual Chevy dealership or manufacture that they would have to pay for it. When I took it to a Chevy dealership, Saturday May 3, 2014, they said that I was going to have to pay for it because my car isn't under warranty any more. I feel like Chevy should still pay for it and reimburse me for my groceries that I lost. It was not my fault that the trunk would not open and it is also not my fault that the previous owner either 1) did not turn the recall in or 2) didn't bother to tell anyone about it.

- Russell, KS, USA

Apr 302014

Impala 6-cyl

The key is stuck in the ignition switch and won't come out.

- Supply , NC, USA

Feb 262014

Impala 6-cyl

Vehicle stalls out. For example after sitting at a red light and then trying to accelerate the cars stalls and won't pick up speed, it then jerks hard and drive as usual.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Aug 032011

Impala

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that while accelerating from a complete stop, the vehicle jerked. In addition, the vehicle failed to shift from park and the ignition key failed to release. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic and an authorized dealer who were both unable to locate the failure. The manufacturer was notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 30,000.

- Toledo, OH, USA

Sep 182013

Impala

I drive the car and it says engine power reduced stabilatrak it slows down and it feels forced to drive so I pull to the side of the road wait about 10 to 15 minutes and it starts but then it got to the point were it wasn't even drivable with it stating engine power reduced stabilatrak so I called Chevy in modesto ca asked if there was a recall they said no and I told them I seen a lot of complaints on line with the same problems I was going through they said you cant believe everything online miss I took the car into the a mechanic I know he diagnosed it as being a throttle sensor and pedal sensor charged me 587$ I thought the problem was solved a week later it did again engine power reduced but this time it started over heating to ive had nothing but problembs with this car ive also changed the tires numerous times the sensor for tires is always lighthing up and saying check left front tire or back tire I take it to the tire shop they say tires are fine but the back ones need to be changed I change the back tires it still says check back tires ive also had the suspension fixed a few times when itswindy I feel the car moving from side to side I also have had engine problems with the transmission was replaced nowit has has 2 blown head gaskets all in all the past 2 to 3 years I have payed 4 to 6,000 in repair and itsstill running like with it stating engine power reduced stabilatrak I need my vehicleto befixed of this problem.

- Modesto, CA, USA

Jan 062014

Impala 6-cyl

The driver side fan blows only cold air, so no defogging occurs on drivers side, obstructing drivers view.

- Mclean, VA, USA

Jan 082014

Impala 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that while exiting a parking lot, the vehicle suddenly stalled without warning. The starter disabled, service throttle and engine power low warning messages displayed on the instrument panel after the failure. The vehicle was restarted after numerous attempts however, the failure progressed into an intermittent occurrence. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, who stated that the engine control module would need to be replaced. The manufacture was alerted about the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was approximately 128,000. Updated 06/27/14 the consumer stated the vehicle was repaired. An occasional, split second stall or missing out can be detected. If it continues after the oil change and transmission fluid check the consumer will report it to the dealer. Updated 07/2/2014

- Paducah, KY, USA

Oct 122013

Impala 6-cyl

Ignition failure and associated power loss occurred while driving on a crowded expressway after hitting a bump in the left lane. A very heavy key chain was in the ignition at the time. With no signals, flashers, or power steering, using only rapidly fading inertia for power, I had to make my way over to the right lane and on to the shoulder through thick, unyielding 70 mph traffic. Terrifying; collision narrowly missed.

- Oak Park, IL, USA

Feb 262010

Impala

Every time I would drive the 08 Chevy Impala the key would not turn all the way out. It did that for about a week. Then when I made it to work it did the same thing. Came out to go home it would not start at all the key wouldn't turn over. So we had to put it in manual mode to drive it to a shop. A wire in the handle to change gears broke because I was told the wire was to short. Now this was 42 or 43 thousand miles now at 82 its doing the same thing again. Why no recall?

- Gary, IN, USA

Jul 122013

Impala

Had clicking noise in the dash of the vehicle and according to the local Chevrolet dealer it was the air recirculation door actuator and the air temp. Door actuator on the vehicle.

- Hays, KS, USA

Feb 082014

Impala

While driving I noticed rear window was still covered with ice, the rear defroster was not working although the switch was on and light was illuminated, after that I searched internet sites and found that a connector on the passenger side has commonly burnt up so I checked mine and sure enough it is, another guy at work has the same thing on his Impala, currently car is at dealer being insp but they have said so far they won't cover repair, this is a fire hazard inside the passenger compartment of the car.

- Joliet, IL, USA

Feb 092014

Impala 6-cyl

Key will not release from ignition. Car will not completely turn off, engine not running but electrical still on, drains battery and car only starts with a jump.

- Bolingbrook, IL, USA

Dec 032013

Impala 6-cyl

Recently, the car looses power steering when it rains, or I go through a puddle. I took it to the Chevrolet dealer (best Chevrolet) where I bought it new some years ago. They had no idea what caused it, said they never heard of such a thing. They changed the serpentine belt and tensioner, and it still does it. The power steering goes out for about 10 seconds, and in deep water I also get a dummy light about the electrical system. It's scary to drive; but, I don't want to just sell it cause someone else an injury.

- Metairie, LA, USA

Dec 212013

Impala

My key is stuck in the ignition and will not come out. I can not turn it off completely.

- Saint Charles, IL, USA

Oct 122011

Impala

Whenever it is raining or I drive through a puddle of water on the ground, the steering wheel locks up for about 10-15 seconds and the car seems to lose power. I've concluded that this must be some sort of serpentine belt issue as a lot of components are affected at once such as alternator, power steering etc. This is extremely dangerous in my opinion as onset is unpredictable especially in hazardous conditions such as raining and for this reason I dread driving my car when it rains. Please someone acknowledge this as a legitimate concern!!!

- Houston, TX, USA

Oct 052013

Impala

Alarm/security system is preventing car to start. There have not been any recalls on this vehicle alarm/security system, but multiple of complaints have been posted about this defect.

- Memphis, TN, USA

Sep 192013

Impala 6-cyl

Driver side rear door lock continues to fail upon depression of unlock button on fob or inside vehicle.

- Camdenton, MO, USA