2008 Chevrolet Impala electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Chevrolet Impala:

2008 Chevrolet Impala Owner Comments (Page 9 of 10)

Jan 292013

Impala 8-cyl

I was starting the car up and the engine was going in and out. I noticed that the check engine light was on and it stayed on. The stabili-trac light also came on. The panel also said that the engine was losing power. This happened 2 times within the last 8 days. I stopped the vehicle and turned it off. Cranked it back up and the check engine light was still on. Took it to the car dealer and they said that it was the throttle position sensor.

- Orangeburg, SC, USA

Aug 052011

Noise is being made sounds like in the dashboard.

- Northport, AL, USA

Dec 012011

I purchased my '08 Impala lt used, vehicle was in perfect condition, older owner and was a seasonal vehicle as we live in South Florida this owner was a snow bird and only used the vehicle 4 months out of the year. I had the car about 7 months and then I noticed a problem with the locks, they would sometimes not lock/or unlock while using the fob, the interior lock still worked for a few more months and then everything eventually ceased. Now nothing works, unless you manually lock/unlock it yourself. Problem is.....I have children, small children and when doing 8 other things while getting out of the car, or parking the car and getting out it is such a pain in the a** that I have to go through this with a somewhat newer vehicle!!! I tried replacing the fuse, that didn't work. I can hear the locks click, but nothing happens. Well.....I had some work done to the vehicle, new tires and an alignment and had them look into it further, they did and told me the actuators need to be replaced, $1200!!! I almost passed out right there!! for something that was not the direct cause by me how irresponsible of Chevrolet to allow these parts to go bad, I did a great amount of research and found this problem with quite a few owners of this very same vehicle, this and the air flow thing that makes a horrible noise, like banging!!! that will be my next complaint!! I found that apparently, the grease from one of the components that is next to actuator is eating away at the part causing it to default!! Chevy needs to have this recalled, asap!!! people with small children, who keep them in the back seat could have some serious problems if they are unable to get to their kids.....especially since the locks are all the way towards the rear of the door you cant even reach it from the front seat. This is supposed to me considered a full size sedan, a family car!!!

- Naples, FL, USA

Oct 172012

Impala 6-cyl

The left rear door actuator failed and the remote opener and the driver's and passenger's electric locks would not open or lock the left rear door from the inside. I was advised by local GM dealer that this problem does not constitute a safety recall, even though it involved passengers who would be riding in the back seat of the vehicle.

- Enid, OK, USA

Sep 082012

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that while parked, the gear shifter became locked and the contact was unable to shift into drive. The vehicle was towed to an authorized dealer where it was confirmed that the electrical system failed. The electrical system was repaired. The manufacturer was contacted. The failure and current mileages were 90,000. The VIN was not available.

- Montgomery, TX, USA

Jun 012011

Impala 6-cyl

Power door locks stopped working. I can open the drivers door with the key, but the other power locks do not open. It started with the rear locks and now includes all locks. This is dangerous because we carry our small grandchildren in their car seats in the back. The only way to unlock the doors is to roll down the power window and reach in to unlock. I have discussed this with Chevrolet but they say they have no reports of others having this problem. This is hard to believe since there are so many reports of this on the internet forums. I believe this is a very serious safety issue. In an accident, the rear windows may not function and we would have to break out the rear windows to free our grandchildren.

- Maylene, AL, USA

Jul 202012

Impala 6-cyl

Both rear power door locks have failed. They are inoperable from inside the vehicle. This has caused an unsafe condition for the passengers in the rear seats of the vehicle. This in a very common problem with the 2008 Impala. Chevrolet is aware of the issue, but has not started a recall to address the issue.

- Vallejo, CA, USA

Jun 182012

Impala 6-cyl

The power door lock for the rear driver side door will not operate. It can only be locked or unlocked manually. This becomes a real problem when I have my grandchildren in the back seat.

- Romeo, MI, USA

May 312012

I was traveling on a highway near to my home, and for about a month now the vehicle has come up with an error stating "reduced engine power". suddenly, the vehicle simply stalled itself, coming up with a message that stated "starting disabled/service throttle". I was traveling uphill at 40mph, now with no power brakes, no power steering, and the engine completely shut off and unable to restart. Luckily I was able to pull over and disconnect the battery and reconnect it to restart it. What if this had happened on a highway on or off ramp" or on a corner? or with a vehicle traveling behind me" I believe any vehicle that will just randomly turn itself off due to a part that has had hundreds of complaints that I've just read online is unsafe to be driven on America's highways. I read online that this was a prevalent problem with these vehicles, and I hope I get injured because of it so I can sue GM.

- Shakopee, MN, USA

Feb 152012

Impala 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that he was unable to unlock the doors by using the automatic key fob. The contact mentioned that the only way to unlock the door was by crawling over the rear seat and manually unlocking the doors from the inside. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who did not diagnose the failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure who did not offer any assistance. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 71,000 and the current mileage 73,600. Updated 04/25/12

- Destin , FL, USA

Aug 032009

I am getting my fourth set of tires on my 2008 Impala, with 70,000 miles I have been told everything from not rotating my tire which I do every 6,000 miles to alignment which has been done three times, , I also have no power steering randomly at low speeds, also rear door locks don't work any more, also when I step on the gas the traction control light comes on and I can't go forward and then it all of a sudden will move, that's on dry pavement.

- Tea, SD, USA

Oct 062009

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that the battery would continuously fail and need recharging. The contact took the vehicle to a local auto parts store where they advised that there was nothing wrong with the battery. The contact also stated that the rear-defroster was inoperable. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer and the dealer was unable to duplicate or locate a failure within the vehicle. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 50,000.

- Wayne, WV, USA

Nov 032011

Impala 6-cyl

The rear door locks will not operate via the electrical. This I believe causes a hazard for a rear seat passenger especially an infant or young child. They could be trapped by the in-ability of the driver to activate the rear door locks to evacuate the rear seat passengers in an emergency.

- Kalamazoo, MI, USA

Oct 272011

Impala 6-cyl

Failure of power door locks. This is a safety issue. In order to keep the vehicle secure, the doors must be locked. If a child, infant or disabled person would be in the back seat and needed to get out in an emergency, the door cannot be opened from the outside without someone first climbing through the seats from the front and reaching way back to the back of the door to unlock it manually or breaking the window. This takes time and could result in serious injury or death to a passenger. This problem is known by GM as they have made modification to the part for the rear driver side door but have not yet modified the part for the rear passenger door. Some drivers are now reporting that the front doors are also affected by this defect. Each part is approximately $175 or $700 for all doors affected and probably that much again in labor costs. Other complaints and incidents can be found by searching the subject on the internet.

- Richfield, MN, USA

Nov 042011

For a few days I have been smelling a burning smell in my car. I noticed that my rear window defroster had stopped functioning. After a google search I came up on a posting at the naioa website with many people having a connection burn up in the passenger kick panel with pictures posted. I went and looked at my car and the connector was burnt and melted just like everyone else's in the forum posting. This is a connector with many wires in it, and I think could be a fire hazard or safety hazard on the vehicle if the other wires burned or shorted.

- Omaha, NE, USA

Jun 012011

Impala 6-cyl

All 4 door lock actuator have gone out, within a month of each other, was told that this was caused by wear and tear of the vehicle, after 3 years this should not happen, after dealing with GM for over a week, they are willing to pay for half. But come on why should I give them 450$ to repair faulty equipment which are a safety concern, my child safety locks do not work, I can not lock my car when I go in places for fear of not being able to get in, these doors were not mistreated to cause this and after researching this this is a known common problem, I was even told this by a GM customer service specialist, this should not be at the owners expense warranty or not, I do not have the money to fix this so I have to pray that nothing happens to my kids while I have to deal with this issue.

- Kitts Hill, OH, USA

Dec 102010

Impala 6-cyl

2008 Chevrolet Impala gearshift could not be moved from "park". towed to don brown Chevrolet (after tow driver disconnected shift linkage). Diagnosed as "test and trace ground circuit to broken wire in center console". talked to service manager who reported that technician stated wires moved when the shifter was moved which likely caused wire to break separate. Potential for driver to be "stuck" in park in a risky / unsafe situation exists.

- Jefferson City, MO, USA

Aug 232010

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Impala. The vehicle was parked and shut off. He attempted to unlock the vehicle using the electronic fob. The vehicle would not unlock using the fob so he had to manually unlock the vehicle. Upon opening the door he noticed black smoke within the vehicle and a flame ignited in the center of the dashboard. He closed the door and the flame extinguished itself. The fire department appeared on the scene and he was informed there was an electrical fire so the battery was disconnected. The police did not appear on the scene but a fire report was filed. No injuries were reported. The vehicle was towed to an authorized dealer where it was in the process of being examined for the cause of failure. The failure and current mileages were 28,000.

- Niota, TN, USA

Jun 052010

My 2008 Chevrolet Impala was recently totaled, on star had diagnosed a problem with the app sensor, this was confirmed with the dealership and repairs were not covered by the warranty, the car is now in possession of my insurance company I had called previously and was told to call Chevy, the dealership is the only number I have. They are to dispose of this car, there is too much data here to not have turned over to Chevy and or nhtsb, especially since onstar also recorded the cross and the driver only had a knee injury.

- Lacygne, KS, USA

Apr 092010

Impala 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Impala. While the contact was driving approximately 25 mph, she began reducing speed as she approached a stop signal. The "check traction control" and the check engine warning light indicators illuminated on the instrument panel. The contact stated there was a significant reduction in the engine power to the point of almost stalling. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where the contact was informed that the failure was contributed to the ads sensor. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure had continued to occur. The vehicle was taken a second time to the dealer where the technician performed a diagnostic testing which indicated that the failure was related to the wiring harness and not the ads sensor. The vehicle had not been repaired at the time of the complaint. The failure mileage was 54,000. Updated 8/2/10 the consumer also stated the rear door lock didn't work. Updated 08/09/10

- Surgoinsville, TN, USA