CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2002-2007 Chevrolet Trailblazer is known for many things, but perhaps it is most famous for its faulty fuel gauge.

2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer:

2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer Owner Comments (Page 14 of 20)

Jan 072008

Trailblazer

Just as so many other 2005 Trailblazer owners, neither my speedometer or gas gauge has worked for some time. I refuse to pay the cost to have these repaired at $500 + on a vehicle that I feel is still new. To deal with the problem, I purchased a garmin which will tell you what speed you are going and have figured out with my gas gauge that when I have gas, my low fuel light stays on and when I am getting low, it goes off. So I work backwards, when my low fuel light goes off, I fill my gas tank and monitor the miles I have driven. Why is GM not held responsible for this problem, it is obviously widespread.

- Holland Patent, NY, USA

Nov 162009

Trailblazer

Just adding another 2005 Trailblazer speedometer to the growing list of failures. Speedometer quits working so many people are having the same problem. $450 to get it fixed I need a bail out to fix it.

- Sturgis , MI, USA

Dec 082009

Trailblazer

My speedometer in my 2005 Chevy Trailblazer has started not working on occasion. It will work only after I turn the vehicle off and let it sit a bit. This is very disturbing to me due to the fact that I am a very safe driver and when this happens I feel I am a threat to others on the road.

- Brockway, PA, USA

May 142009

Trailblazer

The Chevrolet Trailblazer has a history of the gauge cluster in the dash being defective. It seems that many consumers are having problems with them going out. When this happens the fuel gauge and speedometer do not work. This is a huge problem and it seems that Chevrolet does not feel the need to help the consumers correct this problem. We have checked into the time an cost of the repairs and it is very time consuming and expensive for the consumer.

- Thornton, CO, USA

Sep 262009

Trailblazer

1. driving on the highway, minding my business... 2. speedometer is stuck at 0 when I'm driving, says I'm going 100+ when I'm at a standstill, & is never accurate any more. Happens every time I drive now. Already one speeding ticket- 55 in a 40 and I had no idea. 3. nothing done yet- dealer says cost will be $500+.

- Albany, NY, USA

Dec 282009

Trailblazer

All gauges on my 2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer have failed. It appears to be a very common problem, and many other Chevrolet models using the same gauge cluster have been recalled, but not the Trailblazer.

- Mansfield Center, CT, USA

Jan 202010

Trailblazer

I have a 2005 Chevrolet trail Blazer that the tachometer and speedometer fail to work. Doing research on the web this seems to be a common problem. Why is there not a recall for this safety hazard?

- Brandon, FL, USA

Jan 262010

Trailblazer

I just purchased a 2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer last night 1/25/10, today the speedometer and the gas gauge do not function. The speedometer rotates when it want all the way around the dial. The dealer states it is an as is car and they are not responsible. I researched today and found way too many complaints on this issue on this model. Why isn't GM adding this to their recalls on other models with the same issue?

- Tampa, FL, USA

May 052009

Trailblazer

Absolutely nothing out of the ordinary, regular driving conditions. The speedometer on my 2005 Chevy Trailblazer does not work. It is continuously reading the wrong speed and skips when moving. It will go all the way to 120mph and then beyond when I know I am only going 50. At 55 to 65 miles an hour the speedo sticks then continues to climb. The only way I have figured out how to change it back is to turn on and off the vehicle until it resets back to 0. this takes for ever and is damaging to the vehicle. It only goes back 4 mph at a time whenever I have to do this. It happens almost everyday now and I am livid with my vehicle. I will never buy a GMC again.

- Portland, OR, USA

Jan 102010

Trailblazer

2005 GM Trailblazer speedometer with 58300 miles is totally inoperative due to a faulty stepper motor within the instrument cluster panel. Other gauges in this cluster are also potentially susceptible to premature failure because they use the same defective model stepper motor. This is a safety issue especially during rainy or icy months where unknown excessive speed could cause a fatality. The speedometer, as well as the odometer, should be serviceable for the life of the vehicle and is not deemed perishable. GM customer service uses a predefined 'denial of service' campaign by which they gather information and require dealership testing, the cost of at least $88 to be paid by the owner, then denies all remedial action by using the VIN number and mileage as a reason to not replace the known defective part. This is thought to be integral to the delphi GM parts suit $100 million settlement of September 10, 2007 where the defective stepper motor part was publicly acknowledged and GM is suppose to replace them without cost to the consumer. Further evidence of GM using a known defective part in their speedometer is a class action settlement filed and won by tousley brain stephens, llc on November 7, 2008.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Dec 272009

Trailblazer

I am also having problems with my speedometer. I am contacting General Motors in detroit to see about getting this problem fixed not only for myself, but for everyone else who is having this problem. (they fixed my faulty fuel problem).

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Jan 022010

Trailblazer

Speedometer no longer working properly. It varies from day to day as to what speed it shows that the vehicle is traveling. I believe this to be a danger in the fact that you do not know how fast you are actually traveling. To get technical the dmv says that you should have atleast 1 car length for every 10 mph you are traveling between you and the vehicle ahead of you in order to stop your vehicle in time. How can you do that if you don't know how fast you are going. Was quoted $500 cost to repair.

- Mount Dora, FL, USA

Jan 102010

Trailblazer

Speedometer on 2005 Chevy trail Blazer is not working properly. Says im doing 20 mph when im stopped and says 120 when going 50.

- Palm Coast, FL, USA

Dec 212009

Trailblazer

My speedometer has failed on my 2005 Trailblazer with 67,000 miles on it. It started malfunctioning in Dec.09 intermittently. Now the defect seems permanent. My Chevy dealership says GM will not stand behind the problem. I escalades. Why was the Trailblazer not included when they exhibit the same problem with instrument cluster failures. Is it because it is too large a problem to deal with. It is a safety issue when the speedometer is incorrect. There are too many failures to have this problem disregarded by GM. This is an expensive repair(about 5-600 dollars).the number of complaints are so great that I feel GM is ducking the problem. I can understand why GM needed a government bailout by manufacturing vehicles having such a grievous problem. Instrument clusters such not be failing at such a horrendous rate.

- Hudsonville, MI, USA

Jan 012010

Trailblazer

The speedometer on our 2005 Trailblazer has malfunctioned and no longer reads the correct speed. This started without cause and consistently shows the speed as 85 mph or higher no matter how fast you are actually going. Driving a large vehicle and not being able to tell what speed you are traveling at is extremely dangerous regardless of the increased potential for traffic citations.

- Fairffield, OH, USA

Jan 052010

Trailblazer

2005 Chevy Trailblazer lt speedometer goes crazy and up to 120 mph when car is only going 40mph. Gas gauge is also not working accurately all the time. Stepper motor's need replacing and GM won't recall it and fix.

- Hiram, GA, USA

May 012009

Trailblazer

Speedometer and gas gauge malfunctioning headlights seem to blink when I drive at night. Chevy is well aware of these problem with the Chevy Trailblazer 2005, they need to do a recall on the instrument panel like now! or lives could be in danger due to the electrical malfunction these vehicles are experiencing.

- Ceres, CA, USA

Jan 032010

Trailblazer

We own a 2005 Chevy Trailblazer with 62,000 miles. I was driving down the highway when I noticed that the gauge was reading 120 mph. I pulled to the side of the road, and when it was in park it only went down to 45. This is a huge problem for me, I have no idea how fast I am going!!! I searched the internet, and this looks like a common problem for Chevy products. Please help I don't have the $600 to fix this.

- Emerson, NE, USA

Nov 242009

Trailblazer

My 2005 Trailblazer's speedometer will stop working while I am driving. It seems as though it gets too hot either from the heater being on or if I am driving a long distance and it will hit a certain point and the speedometer will just stop working. The first time this happened I was on my way to California for thanksgiving and in the middle of my drive I looked down and I had taken my foot off the gas and instead of my Trailblazer slowing down the speedometer kept raising. I had to rely on my speed by my RPM's. I was able to use the fuse box to reset the speedometer and it started working again for only a short time and then it stopped working again. I had to repeat this process about 5 times that weekend. Since thanksgiving weekend it has happened several more times only instead of raising in speed the speedometer will stay between 0-30 miles per hour when according to my RPM's I should be going about 65 or 70 mph. I can turn off my Trailblazer and let it cool off and then the speedometer will start working again. I have found several places online where Trailblazer owners have complained about the same problem. It will cost several hundred dollars to fix, but if other Trailblazers are having the same problem then there is obviously a defect with the speedometer which should become a national recall. It is not fun driving and thinking you are going one speed when you are not, and I am surprised there haven't been multiple car accidents from this problem. The driver's electrical panel should not fail in a car and that is a huge safety concern!!!!

- Tooele, UT, USA

Oct 222009

Trailblazer

My 2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer lt speedometer has stop working. When we were driving it suddenly went to 120 mph and were actually driving 40 mph. It is not safe to be driving like that! an accident can occur or possibly death! to this date it is still stuck at 120 mph and works erratically! I bought it new in 2005 and only has 30,000 miles! this is a serious and potentially dangerous problem that can cause serious accidents and deaths. I believe GM should be responsible for ensuring that their vehicles are safe for their customers to drive. I would encourage NHTSA to contact GM for a formal recall as this is a very dangerous situation. Thank you.

- Chino, CA, USA