Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2002-2007 Chevrolet Trailblazer is known for many things, but perhaps it is most famous for its faulty fuel gauge.

2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer:

2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer Owner Comments (Page 2 of 20)

Mar 312015

Trailblazer 6-cyl

The headlights work then shut off. (on the way to work in a downpour, no less) dashboard lights partially working. (if I go over 40 mpg can't tell what my speed is) was working correctly for a couple of days now nothing. I checked for recalls and there are recalls for 2006-20xx (NHTSA 14V755000 ) just wondering, after finding on the internet, numerous 2005 owners with same problem, why this model wasn't included in the recalls? I would like to file a complaint on the potentially deadly problem of the 2005 Chevy Trailblazer that should be corrected and included in this recall. Thank you

- Bessemer, AL, USA

Mar 112015

Trailblazer 6-cyl

While traveling about 15mph through a boat yard with my heater on high (5) I smelled a hot metallic odor, but thought it was just from some welding be done on a steel boat. Then my heater quit. I turned it down to 3 or 4 and it ran a little longer and quit completely. When I got home I checked on a Trailblazer website to find information and found that the blower resistor speed control unit was a common cause of this type failure. Upon removing this resistor pack I found the plastic plug connection on it had gotten so hot that it melted and fused the plug in the socket. When I did finally get it apart I found that one of the connector pins had burned completely off. Insulation on three or four wires had also been burned. Luckily there had been no major fire.

- Port Townsend, WA, USA

Jul 112013

The engine light constantly comes on even after I had a tune up. I had diagnostics done and there is some type of fuel misfire. Two winters straight I have had issues with the power steering lines bursting and replaced 3 times. The speedometer malfunctions, most of the time it just stays at zero. If GM uses a lot of the same parts to make multiple models why has the 2005 Trailblazer not been recalled? I was told the GM Envoy has the same engine and other inner workings as my Trailblazer so why wouldn't their recalls apply to my vehicle especially if I may be having the same issues.

- Edgewood, MD, USA

May 052011

Trailblazer 4WD 6-cyl

Drove to an appointment, when came out vehicle would not start. Called for tow. After approx. 30 mins. And before tow arrived, vehicle started. Was able to drive home and made appointment for service. Next day while driving to shop for service engine died while vehicle was moving. Managed to get off road and vehicle would not start. After a while it started and was able to get it to shop. Ignition switch replaced. Second incident occurred 6/1/2014. Had to have towed to shop. A second ignition switch replacement. Contacted Chevrolet to inquire why 2005 Trailblazer not included in ignition switch recalls and seek possible reimbursement of service costs for recurring problem and was told to contact NHTSA and report.

- Doylestown, PA, USA

Jan 012015

Multiple times while driving the headlights will malfunction and turn on and off, at random driving speeds under many different conditions. I continued to drive the Trailblazer even after this occurred. Just not as often. If the heater was on while driving and the headlights would short the heater would stop and then turn back on. The fan turns on at random, first it turns on when driving at random times. The fan will turn on at random times with a higher speed and sound. I have had the inspection completed multiple times with a mechanic re-assuring the issue although it has been happening frequently. The check engine light is on all the time due to computer error and is a $500 fix. This has all happened and been reported within the first year I bought the vehicle from kendal motors in lewiston Idaho. I find that the amount of work to fix this vehicle is overwhelming and to see that this vehicle was under 100.000 miles is financially distressing. I have already had the fuel pump portion removed and fixed twice, I had to purchase a locking cap. The stereo repeatedly jams with new cd's even.

- Coeurdalene, ID, USA

Feb 042009

The fuel gauge stopped working in my vehicle and by the time the recall occurred in 2013, my vehicle has more than the limited mileage of 120,000 or less to pay for half the repair cost. The speedometer failed to work at all back in 2009 as well.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Jun 102014

Trailblazer 4WD 6-cyl

When I fill up with gas my gas gauge reads 0. after driving 40 - 80 mi. It slowly comes back, but reads incorrectly for a few miles. By the time its nearing 1/4 to 1/2 tank is seems ok. I really think its only a matter of time before it quits altogether. I don't trust and use my odometer to estimate my gas level.

- Webster, NY, USA

Oct 152014

First my temp gauge started reading incorrectly. The needle would point way outside the normal range of the gauge, often straight downward. Then my speedometer stopped working. At a full stop it says I'm going between 50 and 65 mph. I've read online that this is apparently a big problem for this model and year (several repairs per week) and yet there's no recall?

- Pelham, AL, USA

Jun 192013

While putting the truck into 4X4 hi, lo, or all wheel drive, the transfer case never does fully put it into 4X4. While driving, the dim lights turn completely off. The brights work, but the dims do not. These will not turn back on until the truck is shut off or a proper bump is hit. The heater blower in the front sometimes will nit come on. The back will be blowing, not the front. Also if a bump is hit improperly, the back speakers will start buzzing.

- Brighton, IL, USA

Aug 012013

Trailblazer 4WD 6-cyl

Multiple times my Trailblazer has stalled without warning. It tends to happen when I am in a stopped position. Whether it is at a stop light or just stopping in general. It takes a minute and then restarts. It has also multiple times lost head lights. The last time was at 9pm while driving home with my children in the car. My headlights went out I had to pull over and the only way my lights would work was if I held my high beams on.

- Deerfield, WI, USA

Oct 032011

The speedometer no longer works. As the weather gets colder, the needle will get stuck in the 90-100 range and not reset when the car is turned off.I am the original owner of the car and this started happening about a couple of years ago as the winter approaches. In the summer the speedometer seems to work fine. Years ago the needle on the oil gauge stopped working. It was going to cost over $700 to replace the instrument panel so decided against that since I change the oil regularly. The speedometer is a necessity and the occurring defect seems like a very common problem on this model. Why isn't this being addressed?

- Clifton, VA, USA

Nov 052012

Engine cylinder needed to be replaced less than 3 years of taking ownership of the vehicle in 2005 ($3,000 in repair...according to dealer it was a known issue but not a recall). Gas gauge and speedometer both stopped working about two years ago. Despite known issues, GM still wanted us to pay half the cost of repair. The speedometer was repaired, gas gauge is still not working. Also, the heater has been replaced and we change headlights at least twice a year because of some short in the vehicle's electrical.

- Springfield, MA, USA

Feb 192014

Trailblazer 6-cyl

Speed control. Driving down the road & the speedometer does not register the correct speed. 10 to 20 miles per hour over & even more at times. No way of knowing how fast car is going. Sometimes it registers under. Very dangerous driving. Never knowing how fast or slow I am going. Chevrolet also replaced fuel gauge sending unit. Rear wiper has not worked for years. Tried everything to fix. Very unsafe to not be able to see out of my back window. This vehicle has a lot of problems. Bought new. Very low mileage.

- Hortonville, WI, USA

Oct 012007

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer. The contact stated that the ignition switch failed. The dealer replaced the ignition switch and stated that the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V400000 (electrical system). In addition, the contact stated that the vehicle was previously repaired for the exhaust manifold crack, the water pump, the evaporator cord, the headlight wiring harness (which melted and caused the light bulb to fail), the hub assembly, the instrument panel cluster, the motor blower resistor wires, and the door locks. The contact also stated that the rear windows would not open or close and the rear hatch lock system and instrument panel cluster failures persisted. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failures. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 83,875.

- Reed City , MI, USA

Mar 032014

Trailblazer 4WD 6-cyl

On or about this date my 2005 Trailblazer experienced and electrical failure during a snow storm. Both power door lock and power window switches became in operative and the windows opened automatically while driving and would not go back up. I also encountered an electrical smell in the vehicle, after stopping and turning off the vehicle and then restarting the switches functioned again. I noticed that in the GM recall on 6-30-14, the 2005 Trailblazer was in the recall for defective window/lock switch can overheat and malfunction also mentioned is the key switch problem GM had. I have contacted the dealer and been told that without an official recall from GM that there is nothing that can be done. The was in fact a recall but it seems it was "swept under the rug". here is the reference list I found: Currently, the following list of vehicles are all subject to the GM recalls on ignition switches: 1997-2005 Chevrolet Malibu 1998-2002 Oldsmobile intrigue 1999-2004 Oldsmobile Alero 1999-2005 Pontiac Grand Am 2000-05 Chevrolet Impala and Monte Carlo 2004-08 Pontiac Grand Prix 2003-14 Cadillac cts 2004-06 Cadillac srx 2011-14 Chevrolet Cruze; 2012-14 Chevrolet sonic 2013-14 Chevrolet trax, Buick encore and verano 2014 Chevrolet camaro and Impala, Buick regal, Cadillac xts 2007-11 Chevrolet Silverado hd, GMC Sierra hd equipped with an auxiliary battery 2005-07 Buick rainier, Chevrolet Trailblazer, GMC Envoy, Isuzu ascender, Saab 9-7X 2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer ext, GMC Envoy XL yet GM has failed to act and take responsibility. What can be done??

- Rock Creek, OH, USA

May 202014

Trailblazer 6-cyl

The windows would roll up by themselves, one of my dogs almost got his head stuck in the back window, also seat heater would come on and switch from high to med. To low, then back to high. I had it repaired, cost was $413 I'm hearing the same trouble has been reported with the 2006 - 2007 models and some have caught fire. Is the new part going to do the same" can I recover any of the cost"

- Bay City, MI, USA

Aug 292014

I bought this car at the end of March of this year with under 100,000 miles. The first thing to go was the gas gauge, about 2 months after I bought the trail Blazer the needle went South. It actually hovers around 6 0 ' clock. Then a couple nights ago driving home I had the cruise control on, I took it with the hand button and looked down and the needle never moved, it was stuck at 65. It's been 3 days and the needle has moved but the wrong way, to the right going up 75, 80, 90, then back down to 65 and staying there. I have looked into replacing the gas gauge and I was told the entire dash would have to be done at a price of $1200, I should not have to do this, Chevrolet should be held responsible.

- Shingle Springs, CA, USA

Aug 262014

Fuel gauge quit working.

- Fayetteville, GA, USA

Sep 232011

Trailblazer 6-cyl

As I was driving on florence blvd my speedometer quit working and the oil gauge wasnt registering but the others were working ok. Now all of them do not work except every once in awhile one or two of them might start working for awhile then they will stop working. With all the other complaints it seems to me that this is a manufacturer defect and Chevrolet should be made to fix it at their expense. They let faulty products go thru qc now they need to fix the problem. Thank you.

- Casa Grande, AZ, USA

Oct 162013

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer. While driving various speeds, the front driver side power door lock and window failed to activate. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic on numerous occasions. The vehicle was repaired, but the cause of the failure was unknown. The failure recurred after the repair was performed. The vehicle was not repaired for the most recent failure. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 91,000.

- Sussex , NJ, USA