CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2002-2007 Chevrolet Trailblazer is known for many things, but perhaps it is most famous for its faulty fuel gauge.

2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer:

2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer Owner Comments (Page 7 of 20)

Aug 182011

Trailblazer

The low beams on my wife 2005 Trailblazer went out while we driving home to va from SC. They still wont work. Apparently mine aint the only vehicle with this problem. Why wont Chevy recall them and repair them.

- Weber City, VA, USA

Jun 012010

Trailblazer 6-cyl

While driving the, window switch began to smoke so I physically removed the switch and have since not had power window access on the passenger side front door. The cost to replace was too great and at the bottom of the priority list. More recently, maybe 2 months ago, the driver side switch showed signs of the same results after a smell of burning electronics and heat to the touch so I simply unplugged the switch all together. The cost to replace these switches is quite significant and have not had any luck with Chevrolet in the past with complaints so I figured I would wait until I had a little extra money to replace these switches. On the news today I heard the end of a report and only caught the words GM and window switches so I came home and searched and came across so articles involving 2006 models. That is how I came across this website. I would very much hate to find out that the company does not know the problem exists further than 2006. An unrelated problem I encountered with the vehicle, which was quite unnerving, was that the third brake light assembly came off while driving on a local highway at @ 65 mph approximately 2 years ago. The fixture became un attached from the passenger side and was "flapping" off the driver's side. Only for a matter of time, I'm sure. Luckily our family was being followed by another family and they notified us by cell phone and we were able to remove the fixture without incident on the shoulder. It would have caused serious problems without doubt had it come completely off. When we notified the dealership, they told us we were out of our warranty and were on our own. Thank you for taking the time to try to make our highways safer!

- Glenside, PA, USA

Dec 222011

Trailblazer

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet trail Blazer. The contact was driving 65 mph when she noticed that the speedometer was providing an inaccurate reading of 100 mph. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was contacted but provided no assistance. The failure mileage was 75,000 and the current mileage was 82,000. The VIN was not available.

- Collierville, TN, USA

Jul 182010

Trailblazer

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer. The contact stated that all of the gauges on the instrument panel malfunctioned. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who diagnosed that the instrument cluster needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure who did not offer any assistance. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 100,000 and the current mileage was 149,000.

- Allendale , MI, USA

Jan 012011

Trailblazer

The fuel gauge does not work. This seems to be a very common problem, and GM's only remedy is to screw over consumers by making them pay for a known defective part out of pocket. This should be recalled and fixed at GM's expense, or they should at least offer a discount. Their $800 estimate is silly.

- Pulaski, WI, USA

May 092009

Trailblazer 4WD 6-cyl

At the time of purchase the owners noticed the rear brake lights did not work. The owners immediately return the car to the place of purchase for replacement of the brake lights. Several weeks later there was an issue with the vehicle speakers and that seemed to indicate an issue with the electrical in the car. While listening to the radio at any volume (low, medium or high) a high pitch, frequency or reverberation would happen. This is only when the radio is played, not when listening to cd's. the temporary solution is to firmly hit the middle arm rest to stop the reverberation. It's an annoyance but could potentially lead to other electrical issues and enormous costs. Please advice of either safety recalls, defects and possible service repair to the vehicle.

- Antioch, TN, USA

Mar 012012

Trailblazer 6-cyl

While driving to work my cruise control shut down and my speedometer stopped working. A couple weeks later the speedometer began working and now it has stopped again and stuck on 55 and doesn't move regardless if the vehicle is on or off. The cruise control won't work. I am very frightened to continue driving without knowing what speed I am driving. I can't afford to keep spending money on this vehicle to repair all the problems it's had. Wondering if the speedometer is covered under my 100,000 mile warranty. Please help.

- Amherst, NY, USA

Mar 022012

Trailblazer 6-cyl

Both the speedometer and gas gauge quit working. In doing research, this appears to be a problem with alot of other owners of this vehicle; this should be a recall. This could be a very dangerous combination with the speedometer not working and if fuel runs out on a busy highway for example. I was just quoted over $880 to fix and declined due to the cost.

- Frisco, TX, USA

Feb 012012

Trailblazer

Cluster instrument panel failed. RPM odometer doesn't work, speed ranges from 80-off the charts, gas gauge not accurate. Apparently big problem w/over 300 complaints yet no recall. Firestone just quoted me $700 for a remove and replace instrument cluster gauge. $600 for the gauge itself. I can't afford that.

- Des Moines, IA, USA

Jan 042010

Trailblazer 6-cyl

Like many people my 2005 Chevy Trailblazer has several issues regarding the instrumental panel. The first time this occurred was during a cold snap and all of the gauges got stuck on the down or off position. After some time some of the gauges (ie. Speedometer, tachometer, and oil pressure ) starting working again however, the majority of the time the readings were inaccurate. After some time elapsed (this year - 2012) the tachometer and oil pressure gauge stopped working completely. This has become an extremely hazardous situation because no vital information is being provide to the driver and the manufacture will not fix the issue.

- Miami, FL, USA

Dec 232011

Trailblazer

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer. The contact stated that the instrument panel malfunctioned. The contact also stated that the speedometer, battery and temperature gauges were providing erroneous readings. The vehicle was not taken to dealer. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 52,000 and the current mileage was 63,000. The VIN was not available.

- Crosby, TX, USA

Feb 062006

Trailblazer 6-cyl

The lighting, both interior and exterior, flickers this causes disorientation and inhibits my ability to drive safely. It has also caused me to be pulled over by police because he thought there was something wrong in the vehicle. I do not even like driving at night anymore because I'm afraid they will go out completely.

- Marion, IA, USA

Feb 082008

Trailblazer

My speedometer does not work at all. The heater and A/C don't work. My fuel gauge does not work. The interior lights inside my car do not work, the right front passenger window does not work. Basically my entire dashboard does not work. What did Chevy do about it?? sent me a letter stating they are willing to pay half of the cost to repair the fuel gage but it would have to be fixed at a Chevy dealership. I could get the same thing fixed at my mechanic and pay the full amount and it would still cost me less than having the dealership fix it and Chevy paying half the costs. Don't think I will be buying another Chevy anytime soon.

- Huntington Beach, CA, USA

Sep 182010

Trailblazer

My gas gauge always reads empty even when the car is full. Engine light always goes on and off between a matter of days. Recently my heat went out in my car we changed the resistor and found out one of the prongs were burnt out. A week later the heat went out again. Looked at the resistor and the same prong was burnt out!! I'm getting really fed up with this vehicle!

- Antioch, IL, USA

Feb 032012

Trailblazer

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer. The contact stated that the speedometer failed and would display that the vehicle was traveling much faster than the actual speed driven. The contact state that while in a parking lot, the speedometer erroneously displayed that the contact was traveling 30 mph when the accelerator was not being depressed. The failure would recur intermittently. The instrument panel lights would become extremely dim when the failure would occur. The vehicle had not been inspected. The failure mileage was 55,000 and the current mileage was 125,000.

- Rogersville, TN, USA

Sep 062011

Trailblazer

Intermittently while driving at various speeds the headlights and dash lights will go dim for a few seconds then return to normal. The voltage gauge also drops, then returns to normal.

- Groton, CT, USA

Nov 302011

Trailblazer 6-cyl

Speedometer not working gets stuck.

- Newark, DE, USA

Aug 012010

Trailblazer 6-cyl

Fuel gauge is not indicating fuel level. Gauge incorrectly displays as empty or almost empty when fuel tank is full or partially full.

- Denver, CO, USA

May 172011

Trailblazer

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer. The contact stated that instrument cluster malfunctioned and the fuel gauge provided inaccurate fuel level readings. The contact the ran out of fuel twice due to the faulty fuel gauge. The contact did not take the vehicle to a dealer nor was it repaired. The failure mileage was 64,000.

- Bakersfield, CA, USA

Nov 292011

Trailblazer 4WD 6-cyl

The speedometer in my vehicle suddenly shows over 120 mph no matter what speed I am traveling. I have found this to be a common complaint. The fuel gauge is also very inaccurate never showing more than 1/4 tank of fuel regardless of how much I put in.

- Lexington, SC, USA