CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2002-2007 Chevrolet Trailblazer is known for many things, but perhaps it is most famous for its faulty fuel gauge.

2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer:

2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer Owner Comments (Page 8 of 20)

Nov 252011

Trailblazer 6-cyl

The speedometer at any given moment will go haywire. Will read over or under what speed you are actually driving. This is caused by a faulty instrument cluster. Safety concern is that you do not notice right away that the speedometer is out of whack so you don't know how fast you are actually going, leaving you vulnerable to driving too fast for road conditions and potentially causing a very serious accident. This is a known problem in the 2005 Chevy Trailblazer and GM will do nothing to repair this.

- Yucaipa, CA, USA

Aug 022011

Trailblazer 6-cyl

The Trailblazer I bought seem to be more of a headache the a sport vehicle. I wish I had look better at all the information the was out there. I will not purchase another one, or recommend this vehicle to anyone. Sorry I bought it.

- Wingdale, NY, USA

Jun 092011

Trailblazer 6-cyl

My speedometer all of a sudden jumped to over 70mph when I was only going about 30mph. Since June of this year it has happened numberous times. Now it just sits at the bottom of the speedometer when it is turned off.

- Dewey, OK, USA

Nov 132011

Trailblazer 4WD 6-cyl

Blower fan stays on constantly even when is cut off. Only way to cut off fan is to pull out module in fuse box under hood.:(

- Blacksburg, SC, USA

Mar 052010

Trailblazer 6-cyl

The fuel gauge went out in my vehicle. My speedometer is doing the same thing and my oil gauge. How is that not a safety recall! called they said there was no recall. Received a notice that they would pay half of repair for the fuel gauge. After warranty was up.

- Willow Wood, OH, USA

Apr 192011

Trailblazer 6-cyl

I was driving on the freeway when I noticed my speedometer suddenly went to 100 miles an hour. I knew this could not be the case as my gps showed I was traveling at 55mph. It then went to 120miles an hour and flip. Flopped back and forth. I went to the Chevrolet dealership and they informed me it was the electrical cluster and even though there were many complaints, Chevrolet would not pay for it. The cost to me would be over $500 I live on a small social security check, so could not afford to repair it. Next at 85,000 miles the fuel gauge went haywire and would not register any fuel although I would fill it completely. Also, the lights blink off and on when I am driving at night, so, I am afraid I will be stranded somewhere in the dark with my car quitting all together. This was my last car purchase before I retired and I am just sick that the Chevrolet company will not fix these defects...they fix the same cluster in their Chevrolet trucks....why not in the cars? by the way, I just got a letter last week saying they would "split the cost " to fix the fuel gauge...(my cost is $200 1/3 of my social security check!!

- Winterville, GA, USA

Oct 232011

Trailblazer

The SUV was going about 40 mph when the instrument panel showed 120 mph... it will not go back to normall... it does now show 100mph even with the car off.

- New Market, AL, USA

Oct 032011

Trailblazer

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer. The contact stated that the fuel gauge was inoperable and the speedometer was permanently stuck at 20 mph. In addition, the fuel warning light was constantly illuminated despite how much fuel was in the vehicle. The vehicle was not inspected. The current mileage is 82,000 and the failure mileage was 80,000 updated 11/16/11

- Johnstown, PA, USA

Aug 312011

Trailblazer 6-cyl

My speedometer began to work improperly. Sometimes it would not go all the way back to zero when the ignition was switched off, or it would be functioning properly and then for no apparent reason the needle would go all the way around and end up pointing at the park, neutral, reverse area at the bottom of the speedometer. Now the speedometer does not work at all and the tachometer has started to work intermittently. It is doing the same thing that the speedometer was doing. Right now the vehicle is off but the tachometer needle is on 3. I just had the fuel sensor gauge replaced under Chevrolet's "special policy" because it had ceased working as well. I have serious reservations about the integrity of the other gauges because while they appear to be working I do not know. I contacted cheverolet and was told that while other makes and models had been recalled mine had not. When I inquired as to whether the components for my instrument cluster came from the same supplier as that of the recalled vehicles I was told that they would not disclose that information to me because it was confidential. They did say they had other complaints similar to mine but at this time they were not offering any assistance to consumers and did not know if or when they ever would. I was told that due to the age of my vehicle (a 2005) that I could expect certain repairs. I do expect certain repairs however a total failure of the instrument cluster, that has been documented on my make and model as well as other Chevrolet, is not one of them. It is frustrating and disheartening to me that while Chevrolet is aware of the problem they knowingly disregard the concerns of their customers, especially as the malfunction of a fuel gauge, speedometer or any other instrument panel component could have serious consequences.

- Hempstead, TX, USA

Oct 032011

Trailblazer 6-cyl

I have been hearing a clicking noise and my car had begun sounding like a jet engine taking off for the last 3 days - very noisy. I took it to pep boys where I was told that it is normal for the Trailblazer to begin making this noise shortly after 60K miles. I was told the serpentine belt needed to be replaced, tensioner pulley and the idler pulley. I had the new parts installed. None of my warning lights came on the dashboard so I assumed was well as there was no other indication that something was wrong. Driving my car within 24 hours of being fixed, the fan clutch seized and my water pump burst causing car to overheat in the middle of an intersection where my car then stalled putting me and my children at risk for injury. The car almost caught on fire it was smoking severely. Someone helped me move my car out of the busy intersection and I called my husband and a tow truck to come get the car. When I got home and looked up the problems again on the dealer website, I found hundreds of forums where the fan clutch has been mentioned and the water pump too. A fan clutch according to the mechanics I surveyed stated they should last at least 100K or more. This has been brought to GM and they ignore it. It is a safety issue. Additionally, my speedometer hasn't worked for at least a year and when I called Chevy they wanted to charge me $700 to replace it when it is not my issues. I didn't cause it. Not knowing what speed you are going is definitely a safety hazard and can cause accidents or tickets.I am attaching a forum (this is just one of hundreds I found online)www.edmunds.com/Chevrolet/Trailblazer/2004/consumer-discussions.html where people are having the same safety issues I am and GM has ignored them. My car could have caught on fire today and I had my 4 yr old daughter with me. Not a position I ever want to be in. Please issue a recall.

- Chandler, AZ, USA

Mar 092011

Trailblazer 6-cyl

Faulty speedometer - reads 60mph when at a stop - under warranty - dealership replaced instrument cluster panel current problems - gas gauge reads empty when tank jus filled, lights dim and brighten intermittently, replaced battery 9/2011 thinking problem with battery when car just died on me, check engine light just goes off and on, replaced front left head lamp and within 1 week the same bulb is dead.

- Richmond Heights, OH, USA

Nov 092010

Trailblazer

Just one day we got in the car to head to the grocery store and as we were heading there I looked down and the speedometer was at 20 when I was clearly doing 55. I pulled up to a stop light and shut the car off then restarted hoping it would fix itself and nothing. I has never worked right since then. I went to the local Chevy dealer and asked to see if there were any recalls on this issue and they told me that there are recalls on every Chevy SUV and truck except Trailblazer and told me to input a complaint to see if they would recall this issue. I asked them how to do that and they said to contact Chevy. They were not helpful. The bull**** thing is that every Chevy truck and SUV from 2003 to 2007 use the same instrument panel so you can't tell me that this paticular vehicle is not like the Tahoe, suberban, or Silverado that has the same issue as I am having. I am pissed that I have to pay for a faulty part that Chevy knows is an issue.

- Springfield, IL, USA

Sep 192011

Trailblazer 4WD 6-cyl

While driving this morning on the highway, my speedometer stopped working. Now the gauge is point down and will not register.

- Worcester , MA, USA

Sep 132010

Fuel guage quit working.

- Rogersville, MO, USA

Dec 012009

Trailblazer

First was the right tail light caught fire and blew fuses, then I get power surges that cause the vehicle to accelerate randomly at the worst times and/or will also stall out, which can be potentially very dangerous or end in a fatal accident, it drops in rpms and lights dim then it accelerates... and the last thing is that the fuel gauge fluctuates dramatically and you can never tell how much fuel you really have... drive 10 miles at quarter of a tank and it either stays close to the same spot or drops and the light comes on for low fuel.

- Monongahela, PA, USA

Jan 152011

Trailblazer

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer. While driving various speeds, the contact noticed that the speedometer would fail intermittently and the oil gauge failed completely and would not provide a reading. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostics where the technician advised that the instrument panel cluster had to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 81,000.

- Opp, AL, USA

Aug 152011

Trailblazer

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer. The contact stated that while driving approximately 75 mph, she noticed that the speedometer would display higher speeds. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer and they stated that the speedometer needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer had not been notified. The failure mileage was approximately 51,000.

- Tuscon, AZ, USA

Dec 072007

Trailblazer

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer. The contact stated the entire instrument panel would operate intermittently. In addition, the fuel gauge and odometer displayed inaccurate readings while driving. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer who stated the instrument cluster would need to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 54,000.

- Lewisburg, TN, USA

Aug 102011

Trailblazer

Fuel gauge has failed. Gauge reads empty, even though fuel tank is full. There are sporadic fluctuations of the needle, but gauge is no longer reliable for determining fuel level in the vehicle. Numerous reports of similar failures in the Chevy Trailblazer / GMC Envoy line of vehicles indicate it is a failure of the fuel sending unit.

- Herndon, VA, USA

Aug 172011

Trailblazer

I have a 2005 Chevy Trailblazer. In the last few months the blower for my air/heat/defrost has been acting up. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. just recently in the last few days it stopped working completely. I can't use my defrost to clear my windows or use my air or heat. I was told the resistor and harness (which starts to melt and burn) is causing the blower not to work. I checked with mechanics and on line and there isn't a recall on the resistor and/or harness. There are a lot of complaints and was told that it is happening in all Chevy.

- Lewis Center, OH, USA