Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2002-2007 Chevrolet Trailblazer is known for many things, but perhaps it is most famous for its faulty fuel gauge.

2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer:

2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer Owner Comments (Page 3 of 4)

May 132011

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer. The contact stated that the gasoline gauge and the speedometer failed. She was unable to see how fast she was traveling or whether or not she had a sufficient amount of fuel in the vehicle. In addition, the headlights would also shut off on an intermittent basis which caused her to change the bulbs frequently. The vehicle was not inspected by a dealer nor had it been repaired. The manufacturer was contacted and advised her that there were no recalls on the vehicle. The failure mileage was approximately 104,000.

- Springfield, VT, USA

Aug 012009

I bought a 2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer about 2 years ago, it only had 49,000 miles on it when I bought it. The right taillight is not working, it hasn't worked since about a month after I bought it. I have fixed the problem twice and it just needs tearing up. I feel this is a great safety hazard and could cause a lot of deaths because a person can not tell if your slowing down and cause a wreck. I feel like Chevrolet needs to recall this problem. I have noticed that mine isn't the only one that is tore up around my small town of 17,000 people. I have noticed at least 5 more just in this town that are not working properly either.

- Pocahontas, AR, USA

Jul 152006

In 2006 while driving the headlights would flicker. The dealership said this is normal. Now when driving the headlights will cutoff for approximately 10 minutes and will then cut back on. It can be after driving for 2 minutes or 30 minutes. The high beam lights work fine when the "regular" headlights will not. For the past 2 years the gas gauge, speedometer, and oil pressure gage do not work properly. I can be stopped and the speedometer will show I am going X mph. It varies on the amount of miles the speedometer is off. The oil pressure gauge always sits below the low line. The gas gauge is not correct but does move. This vehicle is a peace of junk.

- Elgin, TX, USA

Mar 202011

Trailblazer 4WD 6-cyl

My exterior headlights will turn off while I am driving and stay off for 1-10 minutes. The dealer states that they can't do anything unless the car actually does it while they have the car. It only does it every few weeks, sometimes a couple of months.

- Dalton, GA, USA

Jan 192011

I was at the gas station filling my tank and the check engine light flashed on and then the low fuel warning message came on in the message center along with the low fuel indicator by the fuel gauge. I turned the truck off and on and the warning message and low fuel light stayed on. After driving for a while, it eventually goes off, but the fuel gauge does not register more than a 1/4 of a tank even when filled up and the warning message comes on along with the low fuel indicator as soon as I start the truck after filling the tank and when the truck is idling, the low fuel message and light come on. Another issue with the truck is that the lighting system dims while driving and when I bought this issue up at the dealership, they said it was a known issue with the truck, but did nothing to correct the problem.

- Dover, NJ, USA

Feb 102010

No crash or injury, but am really afraid of something happening with my son in the SUV. My head lights flicker when I slow down and worried that one day they are going to shut off and not come back on. My gas gauge was the next thing that stopped working and now my speedometer is not working now. Just like others I thought that I was getting a quality vehicle, at least Toyota corrects their mistakes!!

- Madison , WI, USA

Apr 012010

Trailblazer 6-cyl

I reached 55,000 miles on my 2005 Chevy trailblaizer. Now, my speedometer is not working properly. It sticks and sometimes it does not even move off the 0mph. Better yet, my head lights are randomly turning off. This occurs at least one a day. I can not understand how Chevy can tell me this is not a safety issue. Unfortunately, I do not live in a place that hast day light 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and am forced to drive during the night hours. If my lights are out and an accident is caused, I will be held responsible for this. I'm sure I will eventuallyg et pulled over by the police, it's just I have been lucky so far. What do I explain to the officer, "sorry my lights are out and no, I do not know how fast I was going"" this is a joke! there are thousands of complaints posted all over the internet, yet Chevy will not admit to this "cluster" issue being related to safety? so when I get tickets from the police, fail my Massachusetts state inspection and maybe cause an accident, do I forward all bills to Chevy? and if a life is lost, how are they going to relace that? why can't they just recall this issue before this happens, if it hasn't already happened yet"

- Holyoke, MA, USA

Feb 022010

Headlights dim greatly when the temperature is in the 30S or below. Took the car in for service at a certified Chevrolet repair center only to be told that it is normal.

- Tuttle, OK, USA

Jan 022009

All lights headlights dash and dome flickering driving but not everytime. Alt has been relocated 2 times still have same problem.

- Traverse City, MI, USA

Dec 242009

Headlights flicker and then go out leaving no daytime running lights or headlights for night, rain or snowy conditions. It is not possible to fix without taking in, 2 local garages immediately knew what the problem was and didn't even have to order the parts.

- Cambridge, WI, USA

Dec 242009

Driver's side headlight was flickering on and off intermittently prior to it ceasing to turn on. The bulbs were replaced but the driver's side headlight does not work! we contacted two local garages and they say that this is a normal occurrence for Trailblazers, and that the headlight socket needs to be replaced. I have seen multiple complaints online complaining about this same issue. I am astounded that there is not a safety recall addressing the total loss of the use of the headlights! I would think that not being able to see at night would be a definite safety risk!

- Mukwonago, WI, USA

Nov 072009

Headlights intermittently 'flash' for a second during first 5-10 minutes of driving. Have replaced alternator and idler pulley. GM suggests letting vehicle idle 1+ minute after start before engaging gear; this sometimes works. Dangerous and distracting to other motorists, as it appears to them like my vehicle is flashing its highbeams.

- Menomonee Falls, WI, USA

Mar 172009

The brake lights on my 2005 Trailblazer keep going out. I have replaced the bulbs 3 times in a 3 month period. The malfunction has nearly caused an accident.

- Zanesville, OH, USA

Oct 102009

Brake lights seem to be overheating. Bulb melts off the contact piece. Interior of housing unit is melting as well. I have replaced the bulbs at least 2-3 times a year. The only thing I haven't done yet is replace the housing unit.

- Riverview, FL, USA

Aug 012009

Headlights diming while driving.

- Cicero, IL, USA

May 262009

Between the speeds of 35 mph and 60mph the headlights flicker when you let the car return to an idle.

- Lafayette, LA, USA

Apr 192009

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer. While driving 50 mph, the contact heard a loud banging noise coming from the rear of the vehicle. She pulled the vehicle over and noticed that the plastic covering detached on the brake light, which was located on the rear liftgate. The contact was able to safely place the piece back on, but the wires were exposed. The piece is not safely in place because it is being held together by duct tape. The vehicle has not been repaired. The dealer stated that the failure would not be covered under warranty. The manufacturer would not provide compensation because the failure was not covered under warranty. The failure mileage was 31,000 and current mileage was 33,500.

- Setaukek, NY, USA

Mar 102007

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer. The contact stated that the electrical system failed at least three times in the front passenger seat. Repairs were made under warranty; however, the last failure was the contact's liability. On a separate occasion, she heard a loud noise coming from the rear of the vehicle. The manufacturer stated that there was a pinched wire issue with that particular year, make, and model vehicle that could affect other electrical components. The dealer made repairs, but the failure recurred within 48 hours. The dealer found wiring in a different area that failed and subsequently caused the failure of the front passenger seat. In addition, the exterior lights flickered intermittently, but the mechanic stated that the wiring would not cause that particular failure. The VIN was provided, but was not accepted by the system. The current and failure mileages were less than 43,000.

- Boring, OR, USA

Feb 042009

The speedometer sticks at various speeds. Sometimes it shows *below* zero when I'm moving. Last night, I was traveling at approx. 65-70mph, I assume, but the speedometer was stuck at 30. When decelerating, the speedometer will stick at certain speeds, and then jerk down suddenly. My Trailblazer only has about 53,000 miles on it. I have seen reports of this issue beginning at 30K, but most kick in at around 50K. I am calling the shop today. From what I've read, it's related to a faulty stepper motor. If I am able to update this report, I will. However, I think this is very unsafe and am not going to wait to report it until after the repair; I've seen at least 40 (I stopped counting) other complaints about a malfunctioning speedometer in 05 Trailblazers on (I also have issues with dimming lights and headlights flashing at night).

- Columbia, IL, USA

Dec 102008

Head lights dim and brighten while driving. With no reason the lights get very dim and a second later the lights brighten and this cycles over and over. This is very unsafe. Other drivers think I want then to stop or slow down or pull over.

- Grantsville, UT, USA