CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2002-2007 Chevrolet Trailblazer is known for many things, but perhaps it is most famous for its faulty fuel gauge.

2.4

2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer:

2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer Owner Comments (Page 3 of 4)

Feb 012011

Trailblazer

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer. While driving approximately 60 mph, the contact noticed that the driver side headlight failed. The contact replaced the bulb three different times but the failure recurred. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnostics where the mechanic advised that the headlight wires were melted and the headlight assembly would have to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 98,000. Updated 02/27/15

- Middletown, DE, USA

Apr 192011

Trailblazer 6-cyl

I was driving on the freeway when I noticed my speedometer suddenly went to 100 miles an hour. I knew this could not be the case as my gps showed I was traveling at 55mph. It then went to 120miles an hour and flip. Flopped back and forth. I went to the Chevrolet dealership and they informed me it was the electrical cluster and even though there were many complaints, Chevrolet would not pay for it. The cost to me would be over $500 I live on a small social security check, so could not afford to repair it. Next at 85,000 miles the fuel gauge went haywire and would not register any fuel although I would fill it completely. Also, the lights blink off and on when I am driving at night, so, I am afraid I will be stranded somewhere in the dark with my car quitting all together. This was my last car purchase before I retired and I am just sick that the Chevrolet company will not fix these defects...they fix the same cluster in their Chevrolet trucks....why not in the cars? by the way, I just got a letter last week saying they would "split the cost " to fix the fuel gauge...(my cost is $200 1/3 of my social security check!!

- Winterville, GA, USA

Dec 012009

Trailblazer

First was the right tail light caught fire and blew fuses, then I get power surges that cause the vehicle to accelerate randomly at the worst times and/or will also stall out, which can be potentially very dangerous or end in a fatal accident, it drops in rpms and lights dim then it accelerates... and the last thing is that the fuel gauge fluctuates dramatically and you can never tell how much fuel you really have... drive 10 miles at quarter of a tank and it either stays close to the same spot or drops and the light comes on for low fuel.

- Monongahela, PA, USA

Aug 112010

Trailblazer 6-cyl

Headlights just shut off while driving. No rhyme or reason to it. Pulling over and flicking the lights on and off for a while usually gets them back on. Exact same problem as the current probe into the same model year of Dodge and Chrysler minivans!

- Orlando, FL, USA

May 132011

Trailblazer

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer. The contact stated that the gasoline gauge and the speedometer failed. She was unable to see how fast she was traveling or whether or not she had a sufficient amount of fuel in the vehicle. In addition, the headlights would also shut off on an intermittent basis which caused her to change the bulbs frequently. The vehicle was not inspected by a dealer nor had it been repaired. The manufacturer was contacted and advised her that there were no recalls on the vehicle. The failure mileage was approximately 104,000.

- Springfield, VT, USA

Aug 012009

Trailblazer

I bought a 2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer about 2 years ago, it only had 49,000 miles on it when I bought it. The right taillight is not working, it hasn't worked since about a month after I bought it. I have fixed the problem twice and it just needs tearing up. I feel this is a great safety hazard and could cause a lot of deaths because a person can not tell if your slowing down and cause a wreck. I feel like Chevrolet needs to recall this problem. I have noticed that mine isn't the only one that is tore up around my small town of 17,000 people. I have noticed at least 5 more just in this town that are not working properly either.

- Pocahontas, AR, USA

Jul 152006

Trailblazer

In 2006 while driving the headlights would flicker. The dealership said this is normal. Now when driving the headlights will cutoff for approximately 10 minutes and will then cut back on. It can be after driving for 2 minutes or 30 minutes. The high beam lights work fine when the "regular" headlights will not. For the past 2 years the gas gauge, speedometer, and oil pressure gage do not work properly. I can be stopped and the speedometer will show I am going X mph. It varies on the amount of miles the speedometer is off. The oil pressure gauge always sits below the low line. The gas gauge is not correct but does move. This vehicle is a peace of junk.

- Elgin, TX, USA

Mar 202011

Trailblazer 4WD 6-cyl

My exterior headlights will turn off while I am driving and stay off for 1-10 minutes. The dealer states that they can't do anything unless the car actually does it while they have the car. It only does it every few weeks, sometimes a couple of months.

- Dalton, GA, USA

Jan 192011

Trailblazer

I was at the gas station filling my tank and the check engine light flashed on and then the low fuel warning message came on in the message center along with the low fuel indicator by the fuel gauge. I turned the truck off and on and the warning message and low fuel light stayed on. After driving for a while, it eventually goes off, but the fuel gauge does not register more than a 1/4 of a tank even when filled up and the warning message comes on along with the low fuel indicator as soon as I start the truck after filling the tank and when the truck is idling, the low fuel message and light come on. Another issue with the truck is that the lighting system dims while driving and when I bought this issue up at the dealership, they said it was a known issue with the truck, but did nothing to correct the problem.

- Dover, NJ, USA

Feb 102010

Trailblazer

No crash or injury, but am really afraid of something happening with my son in the SUV. My head lights flicker when I slow down and worried that one day they are going to shut off and not come back on. My gas gauge was the next thing that stopped working and now my speedometer is not working now. Just like others I thought that I was getting a quality vehicle, at least Toyota corrects their mistakes!!

- Madison , WI, USA

Apr 012010

Trailblazer 6-cyl

I reached 55,000 miles on my 2005 Chevy trailblaizer. Now, my speedometer is not working properly. It sticks and sometimes it does not even move off the 0mph. Better yet, my head lights are randomly turning off. This occurs at least one a day. I can not understand how Chevy can tell me this is not a safety issue. Unfortunately, I do not live in a place that hast day light 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and am forced to drive during the night hours. If my lights are out and an accident is caused, I will be held responsible for this. I'm sure I will eventuallyg et pulled over by the police, it's just I have been lucky so far. What do I explain to the officer, "sorry my lights are out and no, I do not know how fast I was going"" this is a joke! there are thousands of complaints posted all over the internet, yet Chevy will not admit to this "cluster" issue being related to safety? so when I get tickets from the police, fail my Massachusetts state inspection and maybe cause an accident, do I forward all bills to Chevy? and if a life is lost, how are they going to relace that? why can't they just recall this issue before this happens, if it hasn't already happened yet"

- Holyoke, MA, USA

Feb 022010

Trailblazer

Headlights dim greatly when the temperature is in the 30S or below. Took the car in for service at a certified Chevrolet repair center only to be told that it is normal.

- Tuttle, OK, USA

Jan 022009

Trailblazer

All lights headlights dash and dome flickering driving but not everytime. Alt has been relocated 2 times still have same problem.

- Traverse City, MI, USA

Dec 242009

Trailblazer

Headlights flicker and then go out leaving no daytime running lights or headlights for night, rain or snowy conditions. It is not possible to fix without taking in, 2 local garages immediately knew what the problem was and didn't even have to order the parts.

- Cambridge, WI, USA

Dec 242009

Trailblazer

Driver's side headlight was flickering on and off intermittently prior to it ceasing to turn on. The bulbs were replaced but the driver's side headlight does not work! we contacted two local garages and they say that this is a normal occurrence for Trailblazers, and that the headlight socket needs to be replaced. I have seen multiple complaints online complaining about this same issue. I am astounded that there is not a safety recall addressing the total loss of the use of the headlights! I would think that not being able to see at night would be a definite safety risk!

- Mukwonago, WI, USA

Nov 072009

Trailblazer

Headlights intermittently 'flash' for a second during first 5-10 minutes of driving. Have replaced alternator and idler pulley. GM suggests letting vehicle idle 1+ minute after start before engaging gear; this sometimes works. Dangerous and distracting to other motorists, as it appears to them like my vehicle is flashing its highbeams.

- Menomonee Falls, WI, USA

Mar 172009

Trailblazer

The brake lights on my 2005 Trailblazer keep going out. I have replaced the bulbs 3 times in a 3 month period. The malfunction has nearly caused an accident.

- Zanesville, OH, USA

Oct 102009

Trailblazer

Brake lights seem to be overheating. Bulb melts off the contact piece. Interior of housing unit is melting as well. I have replaced the bulbs at least 2-3 times a year. The only thing I haven't done yet is replace the housing unit.

- Riverview, FL, USA

Aug 012009

Trailblazer

Headlights diming while driving.

- Cicero, IL, USA

May 262009

Trailblazer

Between the speeds of 35 mph and 60mph the headlights flicker when you let the car return to an idle.

- Lafayette, LA, USA