2006 Chrysler PT Cruiser engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Chrysler PT Cruiser:

2006 Chrysler PT Cruiser Owner Comments

Sep 042008

PT Cruiser

The contact owns a 2006 Chrysler PT CRUISER. While the engine was turned on and the air conditioner was activated, the vehicle would overheat. He noticed smoke coming from the engine compartment. The dealer inspected the vehicle and found no failures. The manufacturer has not been notified. The current mileage was approximately 30,000 and failure mileage was approximately 29,000.

- Corona, NY, USA

Oct 012008

PT Cruiser

Dear sir/madam: I have a 2006 chyrsler PT CRUISER hatchback, and for the past year I have experienced complete shutdowns of the engine while driving. It happens unexpectedly, I have no warning and it is scary. I feel very unsafe in the car. I have brought the car to two different Chrysler dealerships in Florida, and both told me there was no problem. First of all, they obviously could not duplicate the problem, so I feel like they wrote it off as operator error. I don't care what their diagnosis computer said, there is a definite problem with the engine computer in my car. To shutdown unexpectedly, at anytime is totally unsafe and a serious safety risk to me and the traveling public. Both my daughters have driven the car at separate times and experienced the same shutdowns. This is a liability issue that needs to be taken care and no one at Chrysler will listen. Please help me to get Chrysler to understand this is a serious safety issue before someone gets killed. Their dealerships do not seem to care. Sincerely, clara johnson

- Palmetto, FL, USA

Jul 032008

PT Cruiser

Throttle solenoid stuck in open position causing 2006 Chrysler PT CRUISER to impact another vehicle.

- Tyler, TX, USA

Mar 292008

PT Cruiser

2006 Chrysler PT CRUISER with several safety issues. Consumer states that the vehicle was involved in and accident with everything in the vehicle locked including the brakes the vehicle kept moving and only driver side airbags deployed. Prior to the accident the consumer had other problems with the vehicle such as: The engine stalling, the engine light illuminated, the rear glass blew out. The instrument panel lights would go after.

- Norcross, GA, USA

Nov 112006

PT Cruiser 4-cyl

Starting around Nov of 2006 while driving at any speed, the instrument cluster indicator lights turn on; all the gauges go dead I.e. the speedometer, the tachometer, the gas gauge all go to zero. The warning sounds beep constantly. The 2006 PT CRUISER will lose power and/or severely hesitates, power steering will fail, the brakes will fail, I have had to use the hand brake one to many times to slow the car down. I have had several near misses with other vehicles on the roads. I curb the car twice, damaging my tires once, so as to not hit other drivers. This has been happening for over a year now. I have taking it massey-yardley where I bought the pt, to have looked at over a dozen maybe even more I have lost count, I have tried to lemon the car, Chrysler stated that there is nothing wrong with the car because the dealership has not reproduce the problem. I have taking the pt to other dealerships with the same result. Just recently I took the car in again to massey-yardley for poor gas mileage and the same power problem, this time with a check engine light active, in Nov of 2007, the dealership said it was a bad instrument cluster and a bad oxygen sensor, which they replaced. I am still having the above stated problem, the dealership stated on Nov 16 of 2007 they know something is wrong but since they cannot reproduce the error to trouble shoot it they will not fix it. The dealership also said since I'm not happy with the results I should go to another dealership to have it looked at! I'm going to do that but it's hard when you have to work! plus massey-yardley will not give me a statement to that fact of unknown defect in writing.

- Ft Lauderdale, FL, USA

Feb 042007

PT Cruiser 4-cyl

New 2006 PT CRUISER with 6700 miles started dripping oil at first, and then large puddles started to appear. Took the car to dealer where after a day I was told that the main crank seal was leaking and both cam shaft seals were found to be wet with oil. Dealer replaced crankshaft seal and cam seals. Picked up the car and the following day the car started to leak puddles of oil again. Car was returned to the dealer where the engine was torn down twice in attempt to find the leak a die was also added to the oil to try and locate the source of the leak. After one day I was offered a loaner vehicle and was told they found the source of the leak, the main crank seal was leaking again and they would have to order parts. The next day I was told while ordering the necessary parts a technical service bulletin (tsb) issued by Chrysler was found and it stated a defect with the block was causing the crankshaft to walk back and forth crushing the seal. A new engine block was ordered and installed.

- Brookpark, OH, USA

Jul 082006

PT Cruiser 4-cyl

I have a new 2006 Chrysler PT CRUISER limited. It has approx 4200 miles on it. Last weekend it started heavily leaking oil from the front of the engine. The oil level was down almost 3 quarts when I discovered it, and still no indication on the dashboard. I took the car to Town & Country Chrysler in levittown NY, Monday morning. Tuesday they diagnose the main cam seal had burst. They believe it was caused by an incorrect bore size on the block. They will have to install a new engine block in the car. If the diagnoses is correct, engine blocks to my knowledge are not bored out by hand, but by robotics. Therefore I am certain my isn't or won't be the only complaint..this might be a quality control issue.

- East Meadow, NY, USA