8.6

$2,150.00

1. replace engine (3 reports)
  2. engine sticking valve reground (2 reports)
  3. have warped head reground and temperature sensor replaced (1 reports)
2006 Chrysler PT Cruiser engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Chrysler PT Cruiser:

2006 Chrysler PT Cruiser Owner Comments

Aug 102012

PT Cruiser

we just bought a used 2006 pt cruiser Convertible on 08-09-2012 that night the engine light came on., had to get it towed to the dealership it over heated and it miss fired what ever that means dealership said they fixed the problem 2 days later Now the ac wont blow cold air and the engine light came back on I'm tired of going 2 the dealership spending hours and hours there . they told me to use premium gas and i have it. had the car for not even 6 days and 2 of those days it was being fixed

- , Clearwater, FL, USA

Aug 162011

PT Cruiser GT Turbo V4

car experienced check engine light coming on and car wanting to stall out while driving down interstate 11pm. Could not drive faster than 20mph or car would attempt to die. Once car was at mechanic, after about a week of looking at various things it was determined that the high temperature sensor that causes an internal fan to come on had failed and had caused the engine temperature to get so hot it warped the engine head. We had no indication that anything was wrong until the engine light came on and we were stranded. Car had less than 53000 miles on it when this occurred. Cost to us - nearly $3000. Opened a complaint with Chrysler and after providing them with ALL my service records, EVER, from the only CHRYSLER CERTIFIED mechanic that has ever worked on the car, they "graciously" offered us $750 toward the problem. They stated they would have paid more if we had had the car worked on at a dealership, despite the fact that my mechanic is a CHRYSLER CERTIFIED mechanic and I had a record of regular service on the car.

- , Lexington, KY, USA

Aug 022011

PT Cruiser

I totally hate, with a deep passion, Chrysler and Chrysler PT Cruisers. I had my car for just a year when it began to give me holy hell... I went to a Chrysler dealership (sidebar I bought the car from a rental company) and they told me they could do nothing for me... I took it to a car repair and the man there explained to me how awful these cars are to fix and that the PT Cruisers all have engine problems.... It overheats and stalls on me all the time... I am so sorry I bought this car, it has been a total nightmare....

- , Los Angeles, CA, USA

Nov 092010

PT Cruiser Touring

It started with the car idleing very rough then escalated to stalling out.

- , Boston, GA, USA

Mar 022011

PT Cruiser Route 66 2.4L

My daughter's 06 Route 66 PT Cruiser had a check engine lite and turned out to be the #3 valve sticking in the engine. The engine only had 57,000 miles on it and was up to date on all maintenance issues. The engine was torn apart and fixed by my local mechanic at the cost of $2000. I contacted Chrysler with my problem and forwarded the work order to them to consider for reimbursement. Their attitude was too bad too sad. I think when companies push customer service, this shows why maybe they quit making the PT. They couldn't get it right under Dailmer how can they possibly get it right under Fiat. Maybe the US government shouldn't have bailed them out.

- , Everett, WA, USA

Dec 022010

PT Cruiser ES 4 cyl

The car belongs to my 19 year old daughter. She took it in and they told her that there is only 90 pounds of compression in #4. As you see there is really not a lot of miles on the car.

Has anyone else complained? She still owes on the car and she drives it to school and work every day.

- , Dacula, GA, USA

Aug 122009

PT Cruiser Touring Edition

After buying this car barely two years ago we are now being told by a chrysler dealer repair shop that it needs a new engine at the cost of $6,000.00!! It was diagnost first with low compression on 3rd cyclinder by one auto shop. It idles rough but runs just fine, the check engine signal of course is going off constantly, which is really annoying, it also was getting warm so we replaced the radiator cap and thermastat which seemed to solve that issue.

I don't see how it could possibly need a new engine when it is only 4 yrs old!!!!! I plan on filing a complaint with Chrysler, don't know if it will help but sure as heck going to try.

- , Bandon, OR, USA