4.0

2006 Chrysler PT Cruiser engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Chrysler PT Cruiser:

2006 Chrysler PT Cruiser Owner Comments

Jul 292011

PT Cruiser 4.2L

Hi, I have a 2006 pt cruiser and its been a month now of thrying to figure out why it does not want to accerlate. When I am driving the car the check engin light will come on and it goes to shift it jerks uncontrolably, and the car begins to slow down, but if i let off the gas and try to accerlate slowly it will go with out a problem but the next time it goes to shift it does it again. When trying to go 60 or faster the car will jerk so hard it feel like ur fixing to lose ur whole engine. We have tried many things. The Plugs behind the battery on the firewall u can wiggle them and it will stop of about 10 miles. So we figure that is has something to do with them not getting a good connection but we have no clue how to fix it.

This is Chrysler's mess up with this car, many people are having this problem with models from 2003 to 2006. I don't know that they did to it but it needs to be their job to fix it. I Love my PT but these problem are really making me want to never get a chrysler again. Please Chrysler DO SOMETHING!

- , Bessemer City, NC, USA

Jul 092010

PT Cruiser 4 cyl

Made my last payment on car this month, and the engine light comes on... Engine revs/runs smoothly, but when I take off, the car jerks at approx 20-30mph until I de-celerate. When I accelerate again, the engine shudders slightly, but I can ultimately get to where I am going--slowly.

Took it to Chrysler dealership, they downloaded and updated some 'code' in the computer, and the problem seemed fixed. 2 weeks later, it has started again, only this time it only lasted 1 day. Today, no engine light, and it is running smoothly.

I have the feeling this is not the end of the problem. I will have to take it back, have read on other forums that it may be the O2 Sensors, also recommended that I have transmission fluid changed. Will try those two things and report back. Judging by other PT Cruiser forums, this is a common problem with PT Cruisers.

- , Lubbock, TX, USA