CarComplaints.com Notes: Engine cradle rot is a serious problem in the 2004-05 Chrysler Pacifica. Chrysler admits they didn't apply enough coating to the vehicle's sub-frame during assembly, but only offered to cover a very small portion of the vehicles they messed up.

So what happens when your engine cradle rots? Well, the engine could fall out for starters. It could also cause problems with the suspension and other components but did I mention THE ENGINE CAN FALL OUT? The worst part is you might not know because there's no way to see the problem without getting under the car.

If you have a 2004-05 Pacifica, make sure to have your mechanic inspect your sub-frame for rust and corrosion.

9.6

$2,235.00

2. replace engine carriage (4 reports)
  3. replace frame (4 reports)
  4. replace subframe or spray with chemical (3 reports)
  5. repair subframe (2 reports)
  6. replace k member (1 reports)
2004 Chrysler Pacifica body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Chrysler Pacifica:

2004 Chrysler Pacifica Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jul 272016

Pacifica Limited 3.2L V6

Can't believe I wasn't sent a update on this problem

The frame is rotten for states with a winter

- , Johnstown, USA

Aug 012016

Pacifica 3.8L

I took my Pacifica to my mechanic because I was hearing some knocking coming from the front when I hit potholes. He told me I had some sway bar links that needed to be replaced but if they did so they would have to remove the subframe. Because the subframe is so rusted out if they tried to remove it it would completely break. So I would first need to replace the subframe before anything. The cost of the subframe is $1800 and the cost of labor will be $800! I searched this issue on the web and seen that many many people were having the same problem with the same vehicle. I am even more upset that my mechanic didn't mention this when he replaced all of my motor mounts early this year! Will the manufacture replace it?

- , Milwaukee, WI, USA

Oct 172016

Pacifica AWD 3.5L V6

Discovered sub frame under engine was rotting when mechanic was trying to pass inspection. Can not pass inspection without replacing or repairing. Haven't got an estimate yet, but doubting if it's worth it even though the car is in good shape otherwise

- , Easton, PA, USA

Oct 132016

Pacifica 3.5L

Car otherwise in great shape, however dealer indicated today that there is significant rust damage to th K member of the vehicle. Brought the vehicle to a local shop to get an estimate for a repair... $4900.00 not cool for a vehicle that is worth just slightly more.

- , Morris Plains, NJ, USA

Aug 062016

Pacifica Limited

I have a 2004 Chrysler Pacifica that the engine cradle has rusted to a dangers situation. I only have 105000 miles car runs good and never had any problems. Took it into Chrysler and they didn't care a bit. Can't believe they admit to not correctly appling rust prevention but won't fix the problem.

- , Des Plaines, IL, USA

Jul 112016

Pacifica AWD 3.5L V6

Took car in to a service shop to get the air conditioning looked at, but while the car was up on the rack, the tech discovered the sub frame rotting. After doing some research and also hearing from other service techs, this issue is widespread and could be fatal. Please help, as I don't feel we should be paying hundreds if not thousands of dollars for something that Chrysler knew all about it.

- , Menomonee Falls, WI, USA

Jul 052016

Pacifica Sports Tourer 3.5L V6

Went in to get a hose looked at and new tires. Had person call to tell me to park car and not drive as engine cradle had significant rust and then informed me of Pacifica problems with engine cradles. I love my car but costing more than Blue Book to fix and no help from Chrysler is a big problem. I've had this car for almost 10 years and had never heard this before.

- , Indianapolis, IN, USA

Jun 162016

Pacifica

This vehicle has been garaged most of it's life. I took it in for a required state inspection. It failed due to the extensive amount of rust holes in the engine cradle. I was under the car with the state inspector and saw holes in the cradle that were large enough to put my fist in. My mother has been driving this car for the last 4 years. The cradle holds the engine and various steering and suspension components. I got estimates ranging from $2,000 to $5,000 for the repair of a $2,500 vehicle. This could have been prevented had Chrysler put about a dollars worth of undercoating on the part. Instead I will be forced to junk the vehicle. This is a disgrace and someone at Chrysler needs to be fired. I understand there is a lawsuit in Ohio over this issue. I cant wait months/years I need a resolution, leaving me with the only intelligent option of junking the car. I have been quoted $250. Chrysler I have owned three of your vehicles, NEVER AGAIN.

- , Wheeling, WV, USA

Apr 282016

Pacifica 3.5L V6

Engine cradle severely rusted and perforated, affecting steering alignment.

- , Duluth, MN, USA

Jul 102015

Pacifica Limited V6

When getting oil change mechanic showed me frame under engine with major rust and a hole starting. Can turn into major issue if frame gives way and with many other of these vehicles with same issue Chrysler should recall it.

- , Cottage Grove, WI, USA

Apr 092016

Pacifica

I took my 2004 Chevy Pacifica into my mechanic for a routine inspection. I thought it would be a quick in and out since the car drives good but was shocked when I discovered that the whole subframe was rotted and rusted.

I immediately started to look up the part online to see how much this would set me back and to my dismay I found lawsuits, complaint, and much more about this same issue with other Pacifica owners. Of course NO RECALL on this issue! I have had this vehicle for 3 years and never was notified about this issue. Since I wasn't aware, I'm driving my 3 little children in this vehicle and the engine could've dropped at anytime!!!

I guess Chrysler has no problem with children's blood on their hands, considering this is a family vehicle and children are inside! So now I might have to junk my vehicle since the cost of fixing is more than the worth! I'm so upset and I'm willing to join any lawsuit in this matter.

- , Portland, ME, USA

Oct 232015

Pacifica Sport V6

Upon picking car up from mechanic who replaced power steering pump and scheduling motor mount replacement, mechanic showed me the rotted out engine cradle. He was amazed by the damage and concerned over safety. I have since researched and found Chrysler knows of the issue but is not posing a recall. I'm told repair will be quite expensive.

- , Cumberland, RI, USA

Jun 182015

Pacifica L 3.2L

Problem showing up on all model years, Chrysler will only cover a small window of build dates in April of 2004. This defect is a huge saftey issue. Saw a Class action lawsuit on this problem which was opened in Jan 2014, so far I have not seen anything further. If anyone has info please forward. This is outright negligence on Chryslers part.

- , Amherst, USA

Oct 302015

Pacifica 3.5L

• CVT transmission

There's so much corrosion & there's a crack ( NOT A LITTLE, ITTY BITTY CRACK) on EACH SIDE of my sub frame. My engine could drop @ ANY TIME. Chrysler has dropped the ball & won't fix the issues unless it's between certain dates. Why can't they fix our frames from ALL OF 2004????? I've had many issues with this car since day 1!!!!!

- , Two Rivers, WI, USA

May 052015

Pacifica 3.5L V6

This vehicle simply put is junk. Aside from the electrical problem that has forced me to park this car since May 5,2015. The crossmember & frame are almost rotted through & it's NOT SAFE TO DRIVE!!! I PAID 30,000 HARD EARNED DOLLARS FOR THIS JUNK HEAP!!! Maybe now that Chrysler was fined 70 million dollars for not reporting injuries & deaths in their vehicles to NTSB since 2003 they will be forced to call back this crap they sold US!!! I WANT COMPENSATION FOR THIS!!!

- , Poughkeepsie, USA

Jul 022014

Pacifica LX 3.2L V6

Found broken engine mounts and frame rust. Broken bolts drilled out and replaced.

Could not pass inspection October 31, 2015. Car looks fine but can't us. What can you do with this car/

Scrap it ? We were considering a new Chrysler product, we have a Jeep + a 2010 half ton Dodge pickup. Dealer is working on the problem. next car could be German if no satisfaction. Other than the problem, we were very satisfied with ride and all wheel drive feature, we need it to get up our driveway in the winter.

- , Lake George, NY, USA

Nov 112015

Pacifica 3.2L V6

Took my 2004 Chrysler Pacifica in for general maintenance. Subframe is so corroded that I was told it is unsafe to drive. 2800.00 repair bill & Chrysler say's "sorry. Nothing we will do"! NOT,ACCEPTABLE CHRYSLER! THERE ARE THOUSAND'S OF COMPLAINT'S!

- , Chicago, IL, USA

Feb 202011

Pacifica

My 2004 Pacifica frame is rusted out, engine carriage needs to be fixed, no help from CHRYSLER.

HELP NEEDED, BAD PROBLEM.

- , Durand, IL, USA

May 112015

Pacifica V6

Within on year from March 2014 to April 3 2015 the entire frame broke from rot and rust. After research apparently this is not the first time, not the second not even in the hundreds. Chrysler is taking it on a case by case study, well they are not doing anything for my case.

- , Plymouth, OH, USA

May 012015

Pacifica

We didn't find out of this issue until we had our tie rod fix. The mechanics told us that the engine frame is a driving hazard or driving safety issue. They claim that we should contact the dealer. The dealer claimed that it was a known issue but there was an extension up to 2014 which I missed due to I only fixed the car's tie rod end this year. I do not see the engine rust issue.

Due to this is a safety hazard or safety issue, I would like Chrysler (who admitted about this problem) to at least mail the users of the car of this issue when first found out so we can act on it. Now we have an issue of how to get this fix as Chrysler will probably say no to this issue.

Or we need some help in getting this car on the road safely. We are proud of our Chrysler's performance. Now we cannot say that there is no problem with it anymore and will state to all our friends that there is a problem that was not addressed.

- , Elgin, IL, USA