CarComplaints.com Notes: Engine cradle rot is a serious problem in the 2004-05 Chrysler Pacifica. Chrysler admits they didn't apply enough coating to the vehicle's sub-frame during assembly, but only offered to cover a very small portion of the vehicles they messed up.

So what happens when your engine cradle rots? Well, the engine could fall out for starters. It could also cause problems with the suspension and other components but did I mention THE ENGINE CAN FALL OUT? The worst part is you might not know because there's no way to see the problem without getting under the car.

If you have a 2004-05 Pacifica, make sure to have your mechanic inspect your sub-frame for rust and corrosion.

8.0

2. replace engine cradle and struts (2 reports)
2004 Chrysler Pacifica suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Chrysler Pacifica:

2004 Chrysler Pacifica Owner Comments

Jun 102016

Pacifica 3.5L V6

engine cradle rot

We took our very well maintained 2004 Chrysler Pacifica into the mechanic to replace the shocks (thinking that might be the cluncking noise we heard) and he called us and told us the car's engine frame was completely rotted out and the car was horribly unsafe to drive and didn't want us to even drive it home. He told us the frame replacement would be in the range of $4,000 to $5,000. Our car was in otherwise perfect condition and perfectly maintained (I have the records to prove it). My husband called Chrysler to complain about the situation and was basically told to take a hike by a customer service rep there named "Leah" and wouldn't put us in contact with any superiors, etc. No notice from Chrysler about this horrible/deadly issues whatsoever. I've been driving our child around in this car with all of his friends, on the highways all around Chicagoland. This is a vehicle that is purchased by families with children. How in the world can Chrysler think it's OK to not warn people they are driving around a time bomb that could kill their entire family and possible everyone driving around them. We had to run out and immediately buy a new vehicle without being able to sell the Pacifica. This is a total nightmare for our family. I can only be grateful something much worse didn't happen and our mechanic probably saved our lives. THIS CAR NEEDS TO BE RECALLED IMMEDIATELY!!!!

- , Brookfield, IL, USA

Jun 262015

Pacifica

BOUGHT THE CAR IN 2006 AND HAVE HAD IT SERVICED BY LEES SUMMIT CHRYSLER DEALERSHIP SINCE I HAVE OWNED IT AND NEVER WAS I TOLD OF THE RUSTING OUT OF THE ENGINE CRADLE AND SUSPENSION. THIS KIND OF RUST DOES NOT HAPPEN OVERNIGHT AND I WAS MADE AWARE OF IT WHEN I RAN OVER A SMALL POT HOLE AND HAD TO TAKE MY CAR TO A INDEPENDENT AUTO SHOP TO HAVE A ESTIMATE OF THE NOISE I HEARD.

THE MECHANIC CALLED ME AND ALLOWED ME TO TAKE PICTURES OF THE AWFUL RUST UNDER MY CAR, HE SAID HE HAD NEVER SEEN THAT KIND OF RUST ON ANY AUTOMOBILE!! AND SAID THE CAR WAS UNSAFE TO DRIVE BECAUSE THE NEXT POTHOLE COULD MAKE THE ENGINE FALL OUT!! WOW AND CHRYSLER WONT FIX THESE TIME BOMBS?? AND NOW I HAVE A CAR THAT I CANT AFFORD TO FIX AND NOW I HAVE NO CAR.

I WANT JUSTICE DONE BY CHRYSLER!! I PAID 25,000 DOLLARS FOR A CAR THAT IS USELESS. NOT COUNTING THE HORRIBLE LARGE BILLS I HAVE PAID FOR REPAIRS TO THE DEALERSHIP OVER THE YEARS IVE OWNED THE CAR MOTOR MOUNTS, TIE RODS ETC. WAY MORE REPAIRS THAN ANY GM PRODUCT I OWNED BEFORE.

- , Lees Summit, MO, USA

May 222013

Pacifica AWD 3.5L

I bought the vehicle used from a local dealer. When I went for a test drive I noticed something wrong with the suspension on the front passenger side. I mentioned it to the dealer and he said he would have his mechanic repair prior to sale. Dealer stated that the issue was the Struts and that it was repaired. 2 months later I noticed that the same noise had came back, I took it to my mechanic and he stated that the strut and strut mount were loose, so he tighten it for me. A month later the nose came back and was worse. I took it to my mechanic again and he stated that the struts were wearing uneven and that he thought there was a bigger issue. I took it to Pepboys and their diagnostic was "needed new struts" Pepboy replaced the struts on both side front but the technician took longer than expected because when doing the alignment if tweeked to specifications the clunk would still be there but when aligned to make the clunk go away there was a sever pull to the left. I took it home and drove my vehicle over the weekend to end up bringing it back on Monday to Pepboys to receive a full refund for a misdiagnostic. The technician stated that I needed to take the vehicle to the dealer because they cannot figure out what the issue is. The clunk is still there and I am just so afraid to drive my car because I have my children and I just fear for my safety. Please someone HELP!!! I cannot afford any more repairs to this car, I just paid over $3000 to rebuild the transmission...

- , Philadelphia, PA, USA

Aug 152008

Pacifica AWD 3.5L V6

We have been dealing with this problem on and off since the purchase of the car. Within 1 year of purchase, they replaced the idle arms (under warranty), since that time and mostly with the last four-five years we have spent over $6000 replacing various parts (sometimes more than once). The following have been replaced:

universal joints lubricated/tightened, gasket replaced on half shaft, right and left control arms, left inner tie rod and kit installed, checked front end (did nothing), right inner tie-rod end / kit, sway bar links, right strut problem suggested (not replaced), then both front struts replaced, cv boot leaking, replaced rack and pinion steering column, aligned, replaced left and right control arms, tire rims all replaced because of defective metal alloy allowed tire slow leak, sway bar links and bushing replaced, struts, replaced AGAIN, left front sway bar links replace, both frame bushings, alignment, front sway bar link kit AGAIN, right front tie rod, recommended strut repairs (less than 20,000 miles on ones replaced earlier), sway bar replaced and right front tie rod replaced again.

We are now about to take back to Merchants, we had to stop going to the dealer because they simply told us they couldn't find the problem. The clunking is back and so are problems with handling. Would it be better to simply wait until the car bounces off of the road and a family member is killed to see if Chrysler will honor its product? I have not listed numerous other electronic, sensor and module replacements. Early in this experience, we asked our dealer if this car qualified for lemon law and they said no. Now the dealer that we purchased the car from is no longer in business, but other local Chrysler dealers do not resolve the problem. Other repair businesses acknowledge that they have significant repeat issues with this model year of Pacifica's yet, still there are no recalls and I see this issue raised many, many times across the internet. Suggestions?

- , Beaverdam, VA, USA

Jul 032009

Pacifica 3.6L V6

My clicking happens while braking. was told by coworker with same car, once you fix upper control arms(right & Left) the clicking stop

- , New Castle, DE, USA

Nov 272007

Pacifica Limited 3.2L V6

I need a answer to why the front end continues to make a clunking sound after I make a sharp braking or turn the wheel sharply or ride over the slightest bump. In general the car is a dream, quiet all the electronics work but this sound? I changed the motor mounts , struts , tires and tire rods and 2 wheel alignments. What else could be causing this noise???? I have read that other people have this problem. After what was described as a full diagnose the problem still exist. A number of people have stated Chrysler should re-call this car and make the repair!!! Anyway HELP!!!!

- , Bronx, NY, USA