CarComplaints.com Notes: Engine cradle rot is a serious problem in the 2004-05 Chrysler Pacifica. Chrysler admits they didn't apply enough coating to the vehicle's sub-frame during assembly, but only offered to cover a very small portion of the vehicles they messed up.

So what happens when your engine cradle rots? Well, the engine could fall out for starters. It could also cause problems with the suspension and other components but did I mention THE ENGINE CAN FALL OUT? The worst part is you might not know because there's no way to see the problem without getting under the car.

If you have a 2004-05 Pacifica, make sure to have your mechanic inspect your sub-frame for rust and corrosion.

1.6

2005 Chrysler Pacifica body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chrysler Pacifica:

2005 Chrysler Pacifica Owner Comments (Page 1 of 9)

Nov 092016

Pacifica

We have a 2005 Chrysler Pacifica touring edition with 69005 miles. Beautiful automobile, we store it in the winter, no rust anywhere on the body. We brought it in to the dealer for an oil change and nys inspection. The dealer informed us that the front and rear cradle of the frame had rusted and deteriorated so badly that the vehicle would not pass nys inspection and was unsafe to drive. The cost to repair was $4626. I found a service bulletin that stated that Chrysler was extending the warranty on the Pacifica to vehicles in the Canadian market and salt belt states to 150,000 miles but for reasons that they would not explain, my vehicle was covered even though I live in upstate NY, an obvious salt belt state. This is clearly a latent defect in this model rendering the vehicle unsafe and should be recalled and repaired by Chrysler.

- Manlius, NY, USA

Nov 112016

Pacifica

Sub frame. Holding in the engine and transmission rusting out. Not coated properly when built. Discovered while doing oil change.

- Villa Hills, KY, USA

Oct 272016

Pacifica

The contact owns a 2005 Chrysler Pacifica. While undergoing routine maintenance, the certified mechanic diagnosed that the engine cradle was fractured and had severe rust. The cradle needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 94,000.

- Buffalo, NY, USA

Oct 012016

Pacifica

The contact owns a 2005 Chrysler Pacifica. While operating the vehicle, the transmission experienced very hard shifting. The vehicle was taken to an independent dealer who discovered that the engine cradle was rusted and corroded. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 70,000.

- Pawleys Island, SC, USA

Oct 312016

Pacifica

I took my vehicle in for new tires and an alignment and was told by the mechanic that I have rust rot in the subframe. Which now I know is called cradle rot. I contacted Chrysler and they said there was nothing they would do.

- Timonium, MD, USA

Oct 262016

Pacifica

At the service dealer today I was told that my engine carriage frame is so rusted that it is not safe to drive. The sides are also severely rusted. I bought this car new and have serviced it every 3000 miles. I go through the car wash in the winter alot. I learned that Chrysler was aware of this problem early on. Why was I not nofitied of this, so my car could have been under coated ( which should have been done as soon as the problem was noticed) and I could still be driving it. I am 71 and on ss, and planned on this being my last car. Now, it can't be fixed and I couldn't with a clear conscience trade or sell it. Wouldn't want a family with kids in the car, going down the road and have the engine fall out. This is a safety issue that needs to be addressed before someone is killed. My car looks like brand new inside and out. I meticulously took care of it. At 153,000 miles, I think it is just getting broke in, only to find that that underside is broke, rusted, done! please do something. Thank you.

- Bowling Green, OH, USA

Sep 152016

Pacifica

During routine maintenance, my new mechanic showed me corrosion on my engine cradle and declared it unfit for travel. He shared that while Chrysler is aware of this issue, they are not supporting the repairs, of which, will cost me $4500, out of pocket. Without said support, I will unfortunately need to walk away from this car. It should also be noted, my previous mechanic was a Chrysler dealership and this was never brought to my attention as a concern, including when I reported knocking coming from the front end of my vehicle and was seeking a solution.

- Minnetonka, MN, USA

Jan 272015

Pacifica

At 90,562 miles felt vibration under uphill load. Dealer evaluated and serviced trans w/filters and fluid with no result. (see scan 0008) went on to install new torque converter with no result. (see scan 0009) took car in for tune-up, and mechanic saw that engine cradle was rusted through on 1 side about 18". took car to dealer for damage documentation and estimate of repair (see scan 0010) classified by dealer as major defect that will soon make the car road unworthy. My intention was to keep the car for at least another 80K miles.

- Woodstock, IL, USA

Sep 292016

Pacifica

Engine cradle is rusted almost all the way through and engine can fall out.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Sep 222016

Pacifica

My engine is about to fall through the SUV because of rust and after reading up on this...this isn't the first case of this happening and I don't understand why this hasn't been recalled!!!

- Amelia, OH, USA

Sep 152016

Pacifica

Just got new tires no mention, they used floor jacks. Getting new front struts and rear wheel spindles (getting ready for winter) and my mechanic showed me the cradle rot and said he wouldn't touch it and explained the safety issues related. Cost potentially associated with repair. Cost to repair is more than the vehicle is worth.

- Amherst, OH, USA

Aug 052016

Pacifica

Front subframe, engine cradle is rusted so severely that my mechanic said that it is no longer safe to drive, must be replaced at a cost of approx $2000 car was purchased by me new in 2005 and garage kept only 107,000 miles

- Phillipsburg, NJ, USA

Aug 242016

Pacifica

Engine cradle is badly rusted through and needs replacement at a cost of $2,600 estimate from mechanic.

- Racine, WI, USA

Jul 252016

Pacifica

My vehicle has less than average miles on it and the engine cradle has rotted so badly that our mechanic said it is not safe to drive, the manufacturer did not coat this part properly which caused this problem

- Easton, PA, USA

Aug 052016

Pacifica

Cradle rot on the under carriage

- Dublin, OH, USA

Aug 032016

Pacifica

During a mechanical evaluation for a clunking noise and possible wheel bearing problem in the front end, the vehicle was raised on a lift for inspection. The engine sub-frame was found to be badly rusted with holes completely through the metal. The clunking noise was suspected to be the rotting sub-frame flexing while steering and acceleration/deceleration. The mechanic declined to make any repairs and I was advised to park the vehicle until the sub-frame could be replaced. I was also advised to call Chrysler since a recall was issued on a portion of these vehicles. My VIN number was not included in the recall, even though it had been manufactured at about the same time, was purchased in western pa and operated in the "salt belt". we've enjoyed owning this car and my wife wanted to retire the car to our home in Florida. She had just driven the car from Indiana to Florida on the interstate two months prior to discovering this sub-frame problem...the thought of that makes me cringe. Through no negligence on my part, I now have a vehicle that is unsafe to operate and the cost of repair will likely exceed the value of the vehicle..

- Valparaiso, IN, USA

Aug 012016

Pacifica

We found that our car had a leak, which turned out to be a hole in the water pump. The service technician also told us that the subframe is rotting out and we should seriously consider looking for a new vehicle as this could become a very dangerous problem out on the road.

- Frankfort, IL, USA

Jul 162016

Pacifica

The contact owns a 2005 Chrysler Pacifica. While the vehicle was at an independent mechanic for routine repair, the mechanic diagnosed that the subframe was corroded. The vehicle was taken to multiple mechanics who diagnosed that the inner cradle needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 146,000. Updated 09/29/16

- Liberty Township, OH, USA

May 102016

Engine and undercarriage rot,82000. Car engine works, but is unsafe to drive

- Cuyahoga Falls, OH, USA

Mar 042016

Pacifica

I was informed during a routine oil change that my engine cradle was rotted out and could potentially fall out while driving. Apparently this is a common problem with this vehicle. It only had about 64,000 miles on it and other than a small amount of rust on the rear wheel wells, it is fairly rust free.

- Crystal Falls, MI, USA