CarComplaints.com Notes: Engine cradle rot is a serious problem in the 2004-05 Chrysler Pacifica. Chrysler admits they didn't apply enough coating to the vehicle's sub-frame during assembly, but only offered to cover a very small portion of the vehicles they messed up.

So what happens when your engine cradle rots? Well, the engine could fall out for starters. It could also cause problems with the suspension and other components but did I mention THE ENGINE CAN FALL OUT? The worst part is you might not know because there's no way to see the problem without getting under the car.

If you have a 2004-05 Pacifica, make sure to have your mechanic inspect your sub-frame for rust and corrosion.

2005 Chrysler Pacifica steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chrysler Pacifica:

2005 Chrysler Pacifica Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Oct 292013

Pacifica 6-cyl

Vehicle was submitted to authorized New York inspection station for yearly state-required inspection. Vehicle failed inspection. Inspector cited multiple holes in the "cradle" frame member supporting engine, steering, and suspension parts. "cradle" was completely perforated in several places by corrosion, and showed signs of additional corrosion which would ultimately lead to more holes. Cradle was judged structurally compromised. Inspection station consulted NY dmv and it was determined and reported to me that vehicle is unsafe, and that replacement of cradle would be required to return vehicle to service and to pass New York state inspection. It was explained to me that a minor impact -- such as encountering a pothole at speed, or hitting an object with the frame or body of the vehicle -- could cause collapse of the front end structure of the vehicle, loss of steering control, loss of the engine from the engine compartment, collapse of the suspension system, and potential resultant fire, explosion, and injury or loss of life to occupants of vehicle or others in the vicinity. The consumer stated the vehicle left his wife stranded. She was unable to steer or brake while driving many times, the previous year. On one occasion while driving, the engine light illuminated, and the vehicle just stopped, leaving his wife in the middle of the road. The consumer replaced a faulty sensor. Updated 03/27/14

- Stony Point, NY, USA

Jul 082013

Pacifica 6-cyl

I was driving down the road to pick up my son. Turned left at the light, my car stalled, completely shut down. I started it again and the steering started to pull or lose grip, then came back. I have put over $2,000 into this car after I paid for a warranty which they never honored. The frame has been replaced and will probably have to be replaced again. The electrical is faulty and the alignment is always off a little even though it has been re-aligned 3 times. The engineer that designed this car should be made to drive it.

- Toledo, OH, USA

Jun 082011

Pacifica 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Chrysler Pacifica. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the vehicle vibrated violently. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the tie rod was defective and needed to be replaced. The remedy failed to repair the problem. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage 67,000 and the current mileage was 91,000.

- Pine Grove Mills, PA, USA

Mar 272013

Pacifica 6-cyl

Driving down the street and the car started shaking and then something sounded like it snapped and the steering wheel was almost locked and could not steer. Had it towed to the mechanics and he said the under frame and the brackets attached from the chasis to the frame holding up the engine had broken off. I got home looked online and found out that there are a lot of complaints about rusting in the under frame and that it is a very unsafe condition.

- Orange, CA, USA

Oct 152012

Pacifica 6-cyl

Multiple issues with this car! I will start with the problems that didn't almost kill myself and my children. The ABS light would stay on and the dealer had no resolution. The car would stall while turning. I replaced the battery five times in four years. While idling in the driveway the drivers seat reclined by itself, would not respond to the controls and started smoking! the dealer claims they could not diagnose the problem! lastly, while driving my sons to school, the car was handling poorly and because it was dark and raining, initially I believed that it was wet road conditions. To maintain control of the car, I was traveling in the slow lane and my speed was approx. 30 mph. Upon approaching the top of a small hill, the steering began to vibrate violently, at this time I believed that the car had a flat tire and that was what had caused the poor handling while driving. I immediately hit the button for my hazard lights and began to try to ease into the emergency lane and attempt to stop the car. It was instantly apparent that the car brakes and power steering were not working, which left me struggling at 30 mph and accelerating because of the I was now on the downward side of the hill, to try to maintain control of the car! I was able to keep the car from completely veering to the right and ultimately hit a 5 inch concrete curb that is a turn out for the corner gas station. Upon hitting the curb the car then sprang to the left back into the highway lane. Miraculously, no other vehicles were traveling in that lane at that moment! once, we were out of the car, I learned that the car did not have a flat tire but a part of the front end had broken and caused the passenger front tire to collapse into the wheel well...unbelievable! I believe this to be a defect of the car, in addition to he multitude of other defects of this car!!

- Barnesville, GA, USA

Sep 282012

Pacifica 6-cyl

I was pulling into a left hand parking spot when the vehicle stalled/completely shut off. Dashboard lights were still on. I was able to coast backwards down a slope and back into another open parking spot. I had no power steering, and brakes were very hard to depress. I looked up the problem on the internet and looked up open recalls. I found a recall similar to what happened, but when I called both daimler-Chrysler and a local Chrysler dealership and gave the last 8 characters of my VIN, they informed me there were no open recalls for my vehicle. From what I researched, this might happen several times and I am quite concerned with my safety.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Aug 112010

Pacifica

I was driving on the freeway, and all of a sudden the car turns of. I had my niece in the car. The steering wheel wouldn't move. I could've crashed and caused a major fatal accident. Shortly after that I needed to replace the engine. Luckily I had warranty. The dealership couldn't figure out why the car would turn off. This happened about 3 times. And still does. Now im having problems with the motor. I've doesn't over 8000 dollars fixing this car out of my pocket. The car is almost paid off. I need help. I feel like Chrysler has stolen money from me since I purchased this car. Not fair. Not right.

- Houston , TX, USA

Aug 232012

Pacifica

I was traveling with my children down a state highway when I noticed that my "miles to next service" light was saying my next service was due in 4555 miles. How odd, I thought, but didn't have time to ponder it further as I was going around at curve at 45 miles per hour with cars both behind me and oncoming, when I realized that my steering had inexplicably given out. I attempted to brake, only to realize that my brakes, too, had malfunctioned and weren't working. I threw on my flashers and did everything in my power to get that car safely to a halt at the side of road. It was only due to my efforts that my children and I were able to safely evacuate the vehicle before more dire consequences occurred, because the Chrysler Pacifica was completely dead. Thankfully, a kind passerby helped me push the car off the road before someone hit it, and I called aaa for a tow. I still don't know what caused this potentially lethal malfunction, but I had adequate fuel in the car and had the oil changed less than two weeks prior so it wasn't simple owner neglect. No, it was a Chrysler malfunction that could have caused my children and I our lives today.

- Old Saybrook, CT, USA

Feb 012012

Pacifica

The contact owns a 2005 Chrysler Pacifica. The contact stated that the fuel gauge malfunctioned, causing the vehicle to stall. The contact stated that there was fuel in the vehicle however, the fuel tank displayed a reading of empty and caused the vehicle to stall. The contact also stated that when she tried to fill the fuel tank, fuel would spew back out as if the tank was full. The contact also stated that the rack and pinion had to be replaced three times. The vehicle had not been repaired. The failure mileage was 150,000 and current mileage was 160,000.

- South Sioux City, NE, USA

Dec 012011

Pacifica

A letter was sent to some 2004-2005 Chrysler Pacifica owners that the front engine cradle and suspension mount frame warranty was being extended to 15 years or 150,000 miles to owners in states that use road salt because off corrosion problems. They go on to carelessly explain that if your are not experiencing vibration and shaking you need to do nothing-- by the time its that bad its almost to late! mine was not shaking but I had my Pacifica inspected any way and found rust holes in front frame, one was the size of my fist and on the other side may be three or four fingers wide. I stopped driving the vehicle immediately and called the phone # listed on the notification letter twice, both times they denied a problem because it was not listed as a recall on their web site and besides my vehicle did not fall into the VIN block "? there are cases listed on the internet where state dmv inspection stations have failed these vehicles because they were unsafe to drive because of frame corrosion. I am having the engine cradle replaced at my expense. How can a manufacturer have such a flippant attitude about a known serious safety issue" does this fall under a hidden warranty or recall.

- Cedar Rapids, IA, USA

Jun 172011

Pacifica 6-cyl

2005 Chrysler Pacifica loses power steering when rains and wet.

- Merritt Island, FL, USA

Mar 162011

Pacifica 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Chrysler Pacifica. While driving at any speed, the vehicle would abnormally veer toward the right. The contact also stated that the brakes would involuntarily engage when driving at any speed. Once the brakes disengaged, the vehicle would surge forward momentarily. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where they were unable to diagnose the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 73,500. Updated 5/24/11 the vehicle stalled while in reverse, a water pump was installed and the vehicle surged forward

- Santa Ana, CA, USA

Jun 052010

Pacifica

Problem #1: ABS light comes on. When brake is pushed down, grinding noise starts, and brake does not slow car down properly. Occurs daily, multiple times. Came within inches of crashing into people, property, multiple times. Mechanic says it's wheel speed sensor & expensive to fix. We do not have the money. Problem #2: gas pedal sticks. When changing car from park to drive, gas pedal will not go down. You have to press on gas hard, thus sending the car rapidly forward or backwards, just to get it to go. Happens daily, every time I change it from park to drive. Problem #3: power steering locks up while making a turn. While making a left hand turn at an intersection, power steering locked up and could not turn the car, when I hit brakes to stop, they did not work properly either, almost sending my children & myself over an embankment. This has happened 4 times in last 3 months. Car has been looked at 3 times, with a diagnostic ran on it each time. Response is that car is unsafe to drive, park it and never get behind the wheel again, is what I have heard from all 3 mechanics. Would love to park it & save my family from harm, but it's necessary to have a car where I live, and we have no extra money to buy a new car, so there's no options. Cost to repair is already at over $800.

- Oak Ridge, TN, USA

Feb 012005

Pacifica

Since I have purchased the vehicle in Feb 2005 the steering wheel has a vibration when driving around 55-70 mph, no accidents have resulted from this. I have taken the vehicle to 2 different authorized service stations and they have balanced the tires and the problem persists. Now I have a noticeable shake and grinding when I apply the brakes at any speed. Appointment scheduled to inspect brakes and front end shake.

- Apo, AE, USA

Jul 162006

Pacifica

Now I am in shock, we have a 2005 Chrysler Pacifica we purchased in March of this year, used 23,000 miles. Thought it was a pretty nice vehicle until this week it lost steering while turning left (it may have stalled, am not sure because stereo was still on. Was able to stop and restart it and it was ok. Happened 2 times 1 day apart. Took it to the dealer who kept it 2 days, could not duplicate it so cannot detect the problem. Come on now. I just got on this site that listed all the problems in the 2005 Pacifica, and out of 157, over 3/4 of them had the exact problem yet Chrysler cannot figure out what is going on. And let me tell you this much, today my daughter took my 3 grandchildren to meet their dad 280 miles away on the busiest highways and mountains in the U.S. plus my son went with her for the company. Now that is my whole family, thank the good lord they made it safe, but after getting on here this evening and reading how many times this has happened I am in total shock needless to say sick at my stomach. You better believe next week when she goes back to get them she will rent a car. And I will be on the phone all week until I get some answers. What are they waiting for, a whole family to get killed and a huge law suit before they do something about this.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Jul 012006

Pacifica

: the contact stated that while driving 25 mph on dry roads, the brakes failed to engage. During this incident the power steering would not respond to steering input. The vehicle was stopped by driving into a curb. When the vehicle was taken to a service dealer, they were unable to determine the problem.

- Fairview, NC, USA

May 232005

Pacifica 6-cyl

Popping/clicking upon turning, stopping, taking off- had car just 2 days and had to bring back to dealer- read all of the service bulletins, and safety recalls, defects and complaints - found it to be the power transfer unit - ptu - seems that this is a problem with 2005 pacificia's. dealer had 3 days. Internal side molding on psg 2nd door defective / pulling away from frame / exterior back black panels faded already/ wet carpet on driverside floor - smells/mildew car is new!

- Longmeadow, MA, USA