CarComplaints.com Notes: Engine cradle rot is a serious problem in the 2004-05 Chrysler Pacifica. Chrysler admits they didn't apply enough coating to the vehicle's sub-frame during assembly, but only offered to cover a very small portion of the vehicles they messed up.

So what happens when your engine cradle rots? Well, the engine could fall out for starters. It could also cause problems with the suspension and other components but did I mention THE ENGINE CAN FALL OUT? The worst part is you might not know because there's no way to see the problem without getting under the car.

If you have a 2004-05 Pacifica, make sure to have your mechanic inspect your sub-frame for rust and corrosion.

2005 Chrysler Pacifica steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chrysler Pacifica:

2005 Chrysler Pacifica Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Feb 102016

Pacifica

The car under it is knocking and hitting against the car itself when you go over a bump in the road, the breaks slip unless the ABS light is on and the power steering compartment is constantly empty which causes the steering to whine until you fill it back up.

- Fort Wayne, IN, USA

Sep 282015

Pacifica

The contact owns a 2005 Chrysler Pacifica. The contact stated that while driving 30 mph and attempting to turn right, the vehicle stalled without warning and the steering while seized. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 162,940.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Engine cradle rusted out

- Verona, PA, USA

Pacifica

Engine cradle is rotted out

- Verona, PA, USA

Pacifica

During an oil change, massive rust was found in the engine craddle, sub frame. Failure of these parts would be catastrop. Chrysler has acknowledged this problem with a small subset of these cars but clearly applies to all as similar symptoms are showing in cars outside the group sleected for relief. This is wrong, this is not safe, this is not fair.

- Ballwin, MO, USA

Apr 172015

Pacifica 6-cyl

I only purchased my vehicle 1 year ago. The first month I had it, I tried to have it inspected and was told my sub-frame was rotted. I contacted the Chrysler company and there were no recalls. I contacted the dealer and they wouldn't help me. My check engine light is on because the O2 sensors are bad and now my power steering is leaking and I was told the steering rack is bad. I've also had to replace my inner and outer tie rods on both sides and also replaced the sway bar links. I am a single mom with 3 kids and this car has been a huge burden on me financially. I made a huge mistake buying a Chrysler.

- Providence, RI, USA

Dec 232014

Pacifica

My wife was going 35mph in town. Coming to an intersection she needed to turn. No brakes or steering, both stopped working. Luckily no one hit her and she was able to stop before hitting the telephone pole. I have seen a number of people online with similar issues.

- Canton, MI, USA

Dec 162014

Pacifica 6-cyl

Front frame is cracked and rusted out very common for this model can not find any that is not rusted out or cracked.

- Swanville, ME, USA

Dec 022013

Pacifica 6-cyl

Numerous complaints from owners of Chrysler Pacifica (2004 - 2005). The sub -frame of the vehicle was not treated properly for rust or corrosion. The motor mounts to the sub-frame and if the sub-frame is compromised the engine could drop down and destroy all braking and steering capabilities; as well as, catastrophic issues including death. What does it take for Chrysler to realize that this is a problem. How does Chrysler issue an extended warranty and then rescind the letter. Corporate greed at its best. This is a "family vehicle" that we afraid to drive because you do not know when the sub-frame will "give-way" and possibly kill everyone in side or someone else. Can I get some help!! please !!

- Whaton , IL, USA

Oct 032014

Pacifica

I have just performed routine (10/03/20014) maintenance on my 2005 Chrysler Pacifica. The mechanic called to inform me of significant corrosion problem with the cross member (cradle) that supports the engine, transmission, front suspension and steering. His visual inspection, as well as mine, showed more then 75% of the passenger side cradle rusted away. An open case # 25736224 has been established by Chrysler customer support. My Pacifica was produced September 30, 2004 which is outside of the assembly dates established by Chrysler for extended warranty coverage. Failure of the cross member (cradle) would cause loss of steering, engine and transmission failure, and severed brake lines. Because this is a major safety issue it should be repaired by Chrysler corporation.

- Ann Arbor, MI, USA

Sep 102014

Pacifica 6-cyl

On 9/10/2014 my wife was in a minor fender bender and our 2005 Chrysler Pacifica had to be taken away on a flatbed tow truck. Upon inspection of damage to our front end from the accident the body shop informed they found that our vehicle was unsafe to drive. In addition to the damage and upon my shock and horror they found our passenger side subframe/engine cradle was almost completely rusted out!!! the cost to repair/replace the subframe and labor will be $1500!!! I am in the process of having them replace it because my wife and 2 small children are in this SUV daily. I'm thankful that this was found now before it was too late and something god awful would have happened. I'm in the process of talking with Chrysler and am looking for assistance in this matter. Thank you for your help.

- Canfield, OH, USA

Jun 222014

Pacifica 6-cyl

I experienced violent vibration and or/shake in the steering wheel. With a thumping under my feet.when I got home I jacked up my car to see what was going on. And was shocked to see the rear motor mount had broken through the cross member and not much attachment remaining.

- Battle Creek, MI, USA

May 162013

Pacifica 6-cyl

Violent shaking of 2005 Chrysler Pacifica. Took 2005 Chrysler Pacifica in for inspection and was told the engine cradle crossmember was rotted and the bolts that hold the power steering rack and engine up were missing. Mechanic told me he would not release the 2005 Chrysler Pacifica back to me because it was unsafe to drive. Called Chrysler and they told me they would do nothing to repair it.

- Springvale, ME, USA

Mar 242014

Pacifica 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Chrysler Pacifica. The contact stated that while driving at speeds over 50 mph, a vibration was present. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who discovered that the engine cradle and the sub frame had rusted. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 113,000. Updated 06/27/14 the tie rods and lower control arms were replaced. Updated 07/08/14

- Wethersfield, CT, USA

Feb 192014

Pacifica 6-cyl

While driving and turning the steering column makes a horrible whining noise, then stopped completely. I could not turn the wheel and the car stalled. I had fixed it once before. It cost $1,200 and now it is doing it again. The repair shop will not fix it again, they said it is a dealer problem. I have been round and round with the Chrysler Corp. And of course, they will not fix it or reimburse me. Rusted undercarriage is also worrying me - just waiting for an accident and looking up lawyers. But money is so much more important to this company rather than human life. I had purchased insurance for this vehicle for just such an emergency - and when I called, both times, they denied the coverage. I cancelled the policy after paying $1,500 into it and got back $355. Never, ever again with this company.

- Toledo, OH, USA

Jun 282012

Pacifica

Bought this car used from a dealer owned the car for approx 8 months we were making a right hand turn heard this really loud noise and the car would no longer run. We were told the subframe and motor mounts were broken. Now 1 1/2 years later my car has been acting very strange the transmission is slipping the car wont go if you step on the gas and my mechanic has informed me that once again I have broken motor mounts. I have owned this car for almost 3 years and have only put about 30,000 miles on it this should not be happening.

- Walpole, MA, USA

Mar 132014

Pacifica 6-cyl

Took vehicle to mechanic for routine maintenance. Upon inspecting the underside of the vehicle the subframe of the vehicle is rusting and has holes some as large as three to four inches in diameter.

- Oak Park, IL, USA

Feb 242014

Pacifica 6-cyl

While operating my 2005 Chrysler Pacifica limited edition I heard a loud clunking, popping, sound coming from my front end, which was exacerbated when I turned either left, or right. Also, I have a constant shaking which I feel through my steering wheel, which becomes more pronounced while I am braking. Anytime I drive over any type of bump, pothole, or even just an uneven road surface it clunks. It sometimes makes a clunking sound even when I am operating on an even road surface. As I start pulling away from a stopped position, I often feel, and hear a jerking & lugging, which sounds like the engine is moving around inside the sub frame (engine mounts). I brought the vehicle to a local independent mechanic who informed me that the sub frame was so rotted, that the control arm has pulled off of the sub frame. He also stated that the part of the sub frame that holds the engine in place, is so rotted that the engine could actually break free from the vehicle, and could result in a serious crash. He showed me several holes, where the sub frame has actually rotted completely through, and I am able to see out the other side of the metal. He said that it would cost me thousands of dollars to replace the rotted parts. I am a stage 4 terminal cancer patient, and need my vehicle to travel back & forth, 60+ miles, for the treatments necessary to keep me alive. I am not able to work, and therefore cannot afford to pay the costs required to repair, and/or replace the rotted parts on my vehicle, as well as the damage that the rotted parts have caused to other parts of my auto. I had another mechanic check my vehicle, for a second opinion. He told me that there is no way that this is normal wear, rusting, or rot, for a vehicle that is not even 9 years old. He said exterior body panel rust, or rot could be very possible, but definitely not rot in the sub frame.

- New Bedford, MA, USA

Jan 252014

Pacifica 6-cyl

Excessive rusting of engine cradle. Possibility of front end of subframe falling out of the car.

- Buffalo Grove, IL, USA

Nov 152013

Pacifica 6-cyl

When driving the vehicle it shakes on passenger side some awful, scary too feels like its gonna fall down on the street or the tire is gonna fall off.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA