2006 Chrysler Pacifica engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Chrysler Pacifica:

2006 Chrysler Pacifica Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Jun 012015

Discovered excessive rust on the subframe and underbody members after trying to diagnose a problem with the steering. Specifically, a "clicking" noise had appeared unexpectedly during turning and the steering wheel had undue resistance while turning. After checking for tire problems and other issues, a mechanic diagnosed the problem as a subframe failure due to excessive rust. He mentioned that if the rust progressed too far, the engine could literally fall out of the vehicle while I was driving. This issue demands a recall.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Apr 152015

The contact owns a 2006 Chrysler Pacifica. While driving approximately 55 mph, the check engine warning light illuminated and the vehicle started to make a jerking motion. The failure recurred multiple times. The contact also stated that the vehicle shut off while driving, and was not able to be restarted. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic for diagnostic testing. The technician stated that the motor and transmission needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 85,000.

- Cheraw, SC, USA

Jul 172015

Engine cradle rusted through lower section on each end. Noticed at onset of oil change.

- Shorewood, WI, USA

Jul 142015

The contact owns a 2006 Chrysler Pacifica. The contact stated that the engine cradle rusted and caused the engine to fall out of the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the mechanic stated that the engine cradle needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 106,000.

- Menifee, CA, USA

Jul 062013

We have a 2006 Chrysler Pacifica that we purchased used in 2008 with 26K miles. In 2011 we started experience problems. Simultaneously, we came up with codes P0700, P0420 and P0456 and have had to have the transmission rebuilt, the catalyst converter replaced and new fuel pump due to the evap leak. In a matter of months, we spent $5,900 on repairs and in order for the car to pass inspection. We were still making payments on this car and after contacting Chrysler repeatedly, we were told that they would not be responsible, so we were forced to make these repairs. After further research, we found that many Pacificas had many of the same problems that we were experiencing and that Chrysler refused to acknowledge the issues.we have had electrical problems with the power seats, bluetooth, side view mirrors. The electrical system shortens the life of the battery and we have had to replace the battery prematurely several times. Now we need an ABS sensor, and the car leaks in through the front window seals on both sides when it rains. We have just found out when we had the car in for a routine oil change, that our engine cradle(sub frame) is rusted and is a hazard to drive and will cost approximately $2,500 to replace! we just made our last payment on this car as we found this information out. We have also found out that many Pacificas have this rusting problem and Chrysler did acknowledge this for 2004 & 2005 models but not after. We are aware that there is a class action suit and want to be sure that the ntsa is aware of this. This is a family car and there may be many unsuspecting Pacifica owners and their families out there who are at risk of injury or possibly loss of life. We feel that Chrysler needs to warn all owners and implore them to have them bring their Pacificas to the dealership free of charge to have it inspected and repaired for this hazardous issue.

- Lanoka Harbor, NJ, USA

May 012015

I was informed by another consumer that the front end and engine cradle, in my 2006 Chrysler Pacifica are rusting. This rust problem is causing the engine to actual fall out of vehicles. After hearing of this, I had two different mechanics check my vehicle. After both inspections I was told my vehicle is severely rusted and is not going to be safe to drive for much longer. The estimated time frame I was given is between 6-12 months. It was suggested that I drive local only and have it reinspected every three months for my safety. I contacted Chrysler's recall center only to find out there are currently no recalls issued at this time for my vehicle and they do not expect there to be any. I called directly to the Chrysler co. To hear the same thing that the recall center told me and that they have no intentions of helping people that are experiencing this problem. At this point I am unable to afford the high cost of repairs and will soon be out of a road safe vehicle.

- Malden, MA, USA

May 202013

Rocker arm failure, requiring replacement on both sides. Searched internet and is a known failure with many Pacifica consumers. Responsible car manufacturer should have recalled. Safety hazard primary fuel pump crack on external fuel pump nozzle. External hose connecting primary and secondary fuel pumps original manufacture was ~3-5 cm too short. Hose was stretched to connect fuel pumps, eventually causing the connector nozzle to crack (break) and leak fuel. Hose replacement part has been modified, but owners of original manufacture would never be aware of this until/unless specific service is performed. Result = costly repair to replace both fuel pump and hose.

- Sunnyvale, CA, USA

May 232012

The contact owns a 2006 Chrysler Pacifica. The contact stated that the front subframe and cross member were rusted. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the engine cradle needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact also stated that while the vehicle on, there was a fuel odor and the check engine warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the fuel pump and the fuel tank needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The contact stated that while driving approximately 40 mph, there was smoke coming from the front of the vehicle. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the rear, the lower front, and the front upper motor mounts needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired; however, the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 90,000.

- Oswego, IL, USA

May 042015

Mechanic inspecting vehicle for another issue noted that the engine cradle had completely rusted through. The vehicle was not safe to drive & needed expensive repairs. Engine was in danger of falling out of the car. Chrysler is aware of this problem but has decided to do nothing about it.

- Ballston Spa, NY, USA

Apr 152015

I recently bought a 2006 Chrysler Pacifica touring with under 87,000 miles. When I went to have the state inspection performed I was informed by the dealership that this car will not pass inspection due to the excessive amount of rust on the engine cradle. We were informed that the vehicle is not safe to drive and needs over $3,600 of repair work done. I am a single mother and can not afford that kind of repair cost. I find it crazy that a car under 10 years old should have this kind of rust damage. The visible outside of the car is in perfect shape, but the underside is totally corroded! when I started looking online to see if anyone else has encountered this issue, I was amazed at the number of other people who have encountered this same issue. This car is not safe to drive with my daughter, as one good pot hole could cause the engine to fall out and kill both of us or anyone else on the road around us. I will paying for years on a car I cant even drive nor in good conscience sell to someone else. I find it exteamly dissappointing that Chrysler refuses to step up and do right by its customers. It will only be a matter of time until someone is killed by this car.

- Wilmot, NH, USA

Jan 052015

When getting oil change mechanic pointed out front frame (engine cradle) rust. Frame rusted through. Not safe to drive.

- Plain City, OH, USA

Nov 052014

The contact owns a 2006 Chrysler Pacifica. While the vehicle was undergoing an inspection, the mechanic noticed that the engine cradle deteriorated to the point that it was rusted and corroded. The mechanic indicated that the engine cradle needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 37,000.

- West Elizabeth , PA, USA

Apr 062015

The contact owns a 2006 Chrysler Pacifica. While the vehicle was being serviced for routine maintenance, the independent mechanic discovered that the subframe engine mount was rusted and corroded. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 121,035.

- Staten Island , NY, USA

Mar 232015

The contact owns a 2006 Chrysler Pacifica. While driving at various speeds, the engine would suddenly shut off. After restarting the engine, the vehicle would operate as normal. The failure was not diagnosed. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 160,000.

- Laurelville, OH, USA

Mar 282015

Updated report - no one has responded. Received additional information. My mechanic wrote "engine cradle is extremely corroded, also severe rush and corrosion in chasis and both rocker panels. Will be getting into the dealer today or tomorrow.

- Berwyn, PA, USA

Mar 292015

The engine cradle has rusted completely through in one section. Other sections are heavy rusted but not completely through at this time.

- New Oxford, PA, USA

Mar 242015

2006 Pacifica engine cradle rusted ~ unsafe to drive ~ expensive to fix!!!!!!!!!!!

- Holland, MI, USA

Mar 022015

On March 2, 2015, I was involved in an accident. The other driver was at fault, and there were no injuries. My Pacifica performed well and sustained only body damage. However, in repairing the damage, the body shop found a substantially corroded engine sub-frame, which had to be replaced at a cost of $750. The same issue exists with earlier model Pacificas (for which I believe recalls exist). My question or concern is why Chrysler should be able to escape responsibility for its decision to continue to use defective methods and materials to produce critical vehicle components.

- Shaker Heights, OH, USA

Nov 142013

First began 11/2013 when headed out after picking up my daughter, slowed to enter left turn lane (on major busy intersection at night!) and entire car simply died - fried the battery (it was only a yr old & the second time I had replaced it since I purchased it two yrs prior from original owner) nearly was hit by several cars before tow truck arrived (so dead couldn't even be shifted into neutral!) after multiple opinions by several mechanics had to face the fact that issue w/rods caused metal pieces to infiltrate oil (all oil changes on time, previous before incident 6 week prior) causing all engine bears to go. Luckily, was able to work out a fairly decent deal to the tune of $1200, only to be faced w/multiple additional needed repairs thereafter and over a year later, I'm still trying to get to the bottom of why engine totally stalls when coming to a complete stop if my A/C is on - check engine light has been on since I purchased it & still won't stay off despite multiple re-sets & computer checks, as is ABS light (again, checked multiple times & since no issue I have left it as is) now battery light also comes on intermittently. All codes come back fine, and hoses & seals all fine.... as of two days ago, seems I'm now looking at engine cradle issue as well! nearly $3000 in (just counting these latest issues!) after replacing battery for a third time & tire replacement (all 4) twice within a year, in addition to breaks & rotors for 2nd time in 2 years...seems to be a common problem w/these vehicles and yet my VIN # isn't included in the recall...shame on you Chrysler....I am a single mother, who has had all regular maintenance and upkeep & cannot afford to continue to throw $ into this issue, and am afraid every time my kids are in the car that the stalling issues will cause a horrible accident!

- Port Orange, FL, USA

Mar 102015

I took my 2006 Chrysler Pacifica in to a Chrysler dealership because I couldn't pass the il emissions test. I was told that my subframe was very rusted and holes were in it. He told me that they fixed my car so I can pass emissions ($900) and basically told me to drive it for a few months and get rid of it. I asked him how much it would be to fix it and he told me, it would be very expensive. I did my research and there are a lot of people with the same problem. There is a recall for 04-05 Pacificas and after looking at pictures of other subframes for 04-05 models, they look just like mine (rusted w/holes). 06 Pacificas should also be in the recall. I did not call Chrysler because I felt I would get the same response as others. So now I have to pray every time I drive the vehicle that the subframe doesn't break. I still owe on the vehicle and can't afford another. Please do something!

- Des Plaines, IL, USA