2001 Chrysler Sebring seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Chrysler Sebring:

2001 Chrysler Sebring Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Aug 152013

The contact owned a 2001 Chrysler Sebring. The contact stated that while driving at 65 mph, she attempted to avoid another vehicle from crashing into the vehicle. As a result, the contact crashed into a concrete wall and the air bags deployed. The front passenger sustained face injuries from the plastic cover from the air bags and required medical attention. A police report was filed. The vehicle was towed to a police lot. The vehicle was destroyed. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 150,000. The VIN was not available.

- Rialto, CA, USA

Mar 112016

Air bag light stays

- Naples, FL, USA

Nov 162015

I was driving around town and my air bag light came on. Now the steering wheel kinda clunks when you turn it and is stiff when making turns. Since this has happen my horn nor my cruise control works. Contacted Chrysler and my VIN isn't in the recall for air bag issues. Seems unsafe

- Rancho Cordova, CA, USA

Aug 122009

Sebring 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2001 Chrysler Sebring. While driving at 55 mph, the contact crashed into an animal. The air bags failed to deploy. The contact was not injured and a police report was not filed. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 57,000.

- Oconto, WI, USA

Jul 062014

Sebring 6-cyl

Air bag light came on as I was pulling out of a parking lot. Turning the steering wheel, it made a bit of a crunching sound. Light stayed on; sound happened whenever steerting wheel turned. Called mechanic and was told the car is unsafe to drive as the air bag may deploy. Further diagnostic revealed the need for a replacement clock spring for the air bag which is an expensive repair but the car was deemed too unsafe to drive as it is. Some time back, I was hearing a squeaking while turning the wheels very slowly and thought it was a tire issue, but nothing appeared to be a problem there.

- West Sacramento, CA, USA

Jul 152010

Sebring 6-cyl

I was driving my 2001 Chrysler sebring while out of state on a summer trip in July 2010 when the air bag malfunction light came on. It has stayed that way for almost four years. Shortly after I returned from this trip I took the car to the Chrysler dealership (07-29-2010) where I had purchased the car in 2001. I was told (1) that there was no recall on this issue and (2) to fix it would require the replacement of two seldom used parts that would have to be ordered and which together would cost me around $800. I declined to fix this problem as (1) it is a considerable amount of money and (2) I feel this is a problem that I certainly did not cause, that the problem is due to manufacturer defects, and should be fixed by Chrysler at no charge to me. I checked with the dealership again this week and was told there still is no recall on this problem. I am the original owner of this vehicle. The car had just under 70,000 miles when the problem appeared and it currently has just under 97,000 miles. I have driven the car nearly 30,000 miles without air bag protection.

- Spring, TX, USA

Sep 152006

The dash, radio, & cd player lights flash off and on intermittently. This occurs on random occasions. It also happens when operating the turn signal. The lights will dim low and will not return to a "normal" brightness until you adjust the turn signal arm. Or the lights completely go off. Turn off the car and the displays will start up. The suspension problem is the noise of metal and banging in the suspension. The air bags, horn do not work as well as cruise control. The A/C fails to work most of the time.

- Thomson, GA, USA

May 312013

Sebring 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2001 Chrysler Sebring. The contact stated that there was an abnormal cracking and popping sound coming from the steering wheel. The air bag then deployed inadvertently. The contact was not injured. The contact referenced NHTSA campaign number: 00V306000 (air bags) but was advised by the manufacturer that the VIN was not included in the recall campaign. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 60,300.

- Zion Grove, PA, USA

Feb 282013

I was going down 250 at 40 mph and a woman stopped in front of me not giving me enough time to stop and I rear-ended her. The front drivers side was smashed and the airbag did not deploy. I was taking to the emergency room with injury to my back and head.

- North Fairfield, OH, USA

Nov 282012

Sebring 6-cyl

Started the vehicle and the air bag light lite up and I heard a chime, after about 15 seconds it went off and then kept repeating this cycle.

- Largo, FL, USA

May 112011

The contact owns a 2001 Chrysler Sebring. The contact was driving approximately 30 mph and the air bag warning indicator began to illuminate. The warning indicator remained illuminated until the engine was turned off. In addition, the cruise control and horn failed to operate. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, who stated that the failure was due to a defective clock spring and could result in the air bags not properly deploying. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. There was a technical service bulletin, item number 082700, pertaining to the air bag failure. The approximate failure mileage was 136,000.

- Harrison Township, MI, USA

Jul 282011

The contact owns a 2001 Chrysler Sebring. The contact noticed that the air bag warning light was illuminated on a consistent basis. When the horn was engaged it failed to function. The vehicle was inspected by a dealer who advised her that the clock spring failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired for the clock spring. The failure and current mileage was approximately 109,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- West Springfield, MA, USA

Jul 082011

The contact owns a 2011 Chrysler Sebring convertible. While parked the contact noticed the horn did not function and the air bag light illuminated on the instrument panel. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnostics. The mechanic stated the clock spring needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 25,600.

- Wilmington, NC, USA

Aug 022010

Clockspring on my 2001 Chrysler Sebring convertible went out. When I checked the internet I found hundreds of people had this exact same problem with the exact same model and year as mine. This problem disables the air bag.

- Thornton, CO, USA

Feb 092007

Bought used in 2007 Sebring 2001 at 87K miles. At round 95K, while pulling out of parking space, heard cracking noise in steering wheel..resulting in no horn, air bag light cont illuminated so can't tell if there's a problem, and no cruise control. Took car to private dealer and diagnosed clock spring, but Chrysler says its not under recall protection any longer!!! crazy, I know! also, since purchase have many probs with electrical dash probs ie flashing on/dimming and radio just turning off...also not covered! and had strange humming noise since purchase while driving...finally found out what it was and had to replace both front hubs. All of these safety issues seem to be a continuing prob with other drivers as per the complaints I've read here at least as far back as I read (thru 2006). Why is Chrysler not being made to rectify at least the air bag (clock spring) issue they already admitted to"??" really kind of the same thing with the elect issues too, but I kind of understand poss issues with that after so many miles. Would really like help/advice on how to make Chrysler take responsibility for that expensive clockspring/air bad issue.

- Georgetown, DE, USA

Mar 022009

The contact owns a 2001 Chrysler Sebring convertible. He noticed that the air bag light illuminated. The dealer stated that clock spring malfunctioned and also caused the horn to fail. The clock spring has been on back order for over six months. The dealer was unsure when the part would be available. The dealer also stated that the convertible cover left latch needed to be repaired. The manufacturer stated that the warranty does not cover the air bag and horn since they are not considered a safety issue. The failure mileage was 70,000 and the current mileage was 90,000.

- Riverwoods, IL, USA

Mar 062005

Clock spring on 2001 Chrysler Sebring convertible defective. Began flashing airbag warning light around 42,000 miles. During the next year the horn quit working, then the cruise control quit. The airbag light now stays illuminated at all times. Mileage only 56,000.

- Mesa, AZ, USA

May 042009

Sebring 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2001 Chrysler Sebring. The contact took the vehicle to a repair shop to have the shock absorber replaced and the mechanic noticed that the air bag light was illuminated on the instrument panel. The day before, the contact made a right turn in the vehicle and heard a crackling noise accompanied by the air bag light illuminating. The failure and current mileages were 64,000. Updated 9/3/09 the consumer stated Chrysler authorized the repair to replace the clockspring, but she was charged $155. Updated 09/04/09.

- Chicago, IL, USA

May 082009

I went to my repair shop because my 2001 Chrysler Sebring convertible airbag light came on and then my steering wheel was making sounds when I turned the wheel. The repair shop diagnosed the problem as a clockspring that needed to be replaced, it disables your airbag, horn, and cruise control when it is broken. I have an extended warranty but was told that it was a federally mandated part therefore was not covered. So, then I contacted Chrysler and Chrysler told me that since I didn't have an extended warranty through them there was nothing I could do about it. Airbags are installed for a persons safety and a part that can disable it should be a safety hazard and should be repaired at the manufacturers cost and not the consumers. Why does it matter what type of warranty I have when it concerns a safety issue?

- Gambrills, MD, USA

Jun 202008

I am fed up with this Chrysler sebring I bought 2 years ago. Its had so many problems and now a major one and a popular one I see is happening and before an accident happens lord willing I will make it to the dealer tomorrow. My steering in my 2001 sebring started up last week when I went to turn the wheel it was super tight and I knew instantly something was wrong. Now it is making cracking sounds and is still hard to turn. I called the dealer and they said it sounded like its my rack and pinion. I had taken it to my own mechanic who couldn't find anything visibly wrong with it and said it might be the rack and pinion. After reading all the problems this car has had with the steering I am not surprised mine is right there with them all. I have only 51,000 miles on the car. I am furious. I don't want to pay to get this fixed. I shouldn't have to. Its Chrysler fault. My air bag light is also on. Who knows what that is all about. My car started leaking oil from the oil pan gasket a month after I bought it at 32,000 miles and 2 of the motors have gone out in the power windows. This is really a piece of junk!

- Huntington Beach, CA, USA