2005 Chrysler Sebring miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chrysler Sebring:

2005 Chrysler Sebring Owner Comments

Jan 032011

On 1/3/11 the horn malfunctioned worse then ever. It was like the horn has a mind of it's own. In the past it was only when I unlocked it and then it would finally stop a few minutes later. But then I honked my horn at someone coming into my lane and the horn would not stop. Then it would do a few short honks and then it just stopped. I went to run errands and it just kept honking at all different times. I tried hitting the horn really hard but that didn't always work. Then it didn't work when I wanted it to. I pulled into the dealership, with it honking, they couldn't do anything, said the fuse was also for the steering column and couldn't be disconnected and still be drive-able. I have researched this issue and can not believe how many people with sebrings from 2000-06 have had this same problem without any resolution and their has not been a recall from Chrysler. This is a major safety issue, especially since I don't know if my airbag still works. I had to disconnect the horn fuse (which the dealer said couldn't be done). Because the mechanics there couldn't figure out how to repair the horn malfunction and it was no longer under warranty, I could not afford to pay them to try to figure it out on my dime. My ex put in a button and connected it the horn.they was an okay fix but then my battery started draining and I would find it dead if I didn't drive for a couple of days. The way my ex wired the button is was putting a drain on the battery. So again, no horn!!! total safety issue!!! well, it happened, which so many times I was able to avoid, yell or whistle out the window to an driver not paying attention. Well, on 5/3/14, it couldn't be avoided, I had nowhere to go, a driver T-boned right into me. Had my horn worked, it may have been avoided or at least minimized. I was out of work for months, still in major neck pain and where is Chrysler with the recall"???"

- Redondo Beach, CA, USA

Jun 092015

Fuse 8 under hood, 20A fuse. Chrysler has a couple of branch circuits downstream of this and collectively an increased load condition causes an overload on startup only. Instant burn fuse cant cope. The problem is design, there are 4 circuits fed downstream on that fuse, if the collected load builds some resistance it will exceed the capacity of the fuse. I am currently changing the fuse daily just to start my car and go. And sometimes have to change it again before leaving my destination. I did some research online by resulting to google and there are countless other people with this same problem. I was told not to put a larger fuse in there for it may catch fire because of not allowing the fuse to blow when it needs to blow. It seems to be a problem with Chrysler set up and to be not actually anything broken with my car. What do I do?

- Childs, PA, USA

Nov 042005

┐all computer electrical systems periodically, sporadically shut down completely: Electrical circuit failure ┐I am trapped, locked in my car with no safety, dash, window or temperature controls ┐at night, my headlights flicker then go out 'steering/upper control arm appears to be cracked ┐transmission doesn't shift, it slams into gear at ten miles per hour or 50 miles P/H 'something in the undercarriage is snapping loudly when turning or going over speed bumps, something in steering column ┐driving over speed bumps: The front and rear loudly creak and groan ┐air bag light sporadically stays on┐then off┐then on again ┐engine light sporadically comes on┐then off┐then on again ┐runs like a truck, chugs, rattles ┐cylinder one misfire at 45K. These are platinum plugs which do not require changing until 100K ┐coolant housing cracked causing coolant gauge to approach red zone and require replacement. Chrysler was aware of this problem but did not notify owner of recall item. My cost: $200 ┐driver's window shudders when rolling up and down.

- Laguna Niguel, CA, USA