2007 Chrysler Sebring fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Chrysler Sebring:

2007 Chrysler Sebring Owner Comments

Aug 272014

Sebring 4-cyl

Anytime I get gas, the auto shut off is delayed and my gas tank gets overfilled which results in gasoline flying out of the gas tank and squirting everywhere. This happens every single time I get gas, even if I try to control the gas flow to be very slow.

- Mesa, AZ, USA

May 202009

Sebring 6-cyl

Gas gauge stopped working. According to dealer mechanic, fuel gage sending unit is not working....fuel pump does work. Dashboard lights no longer work also. Check engine light stays on and cannot be cleared or problem diagnosed.

- Saint Pauls, NC, USA

Jun 092014

Sebring 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Chrysler Sebring. While driving 45 mph, the vehicle stalled and the entire instrument panel illuminated. The dealer stated that the fuel pump and electrical module needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 170,000. Updated 10/23/2014 updated 05/21/2015

- Ypsilanti, MI, USA

Jul 142014

The contact owns a 2007 Chrysler Sebring. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to start. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the fuel pump wiring was corroded and that there was a small hole in the fuel pump connector. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 96,000.

- Cheektowaga, NY, USA

May 252014

Driving South, from Michigan, had driven approx. 600 miles of a 700+ mile trip, vehicle started "chugging" at 70mph on the highway, decelerating, unable accelerate, this was not in an area of differing elevations, it would almost stall then surge, then repeat. Cruise control was not being used at that time due to heavy traffic. Pulled the vehicle off the highway, into a store parking lot, shut it off for a few minutes, restarted and no further problems until today when driving for less than 15 minutes, on the highway at 60mpg, heavy traffic, it began again. Again, it was pulled over shut off and restarted with no further incidents today. You people need to do something to fix this. Someone is going to be fatally injured. I am not the only one experiencing this same issue.

- Richmond , VA, USA

Oct 302013

Each time I fill up my fuel tank, it smells like gas on the driver's side of the car. The check engine light came on so I took it to a local auto parts store who diagnosed it as "gascap". I had the gas cap replaced but it still smells like gas, the odor is strongest when the tank is full. I did some online research and discovered that hundreds of other people are having this same issue. I have great concern for my safety. Please help!

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

May 262013

The contact owns a 2007 Chrysler Sebring. The contact stated that while driving 35 mph, the vehicle stalled as the check engine warning lamp illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where the technician diagnosed that the fuel pump wire had melted onto the fuel pump. As a result, the fuel pump needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was repaired. The failure mileage was 97,770 and the current mileage was unknown.

- Topeka , KS, USA

Apr 042013

The contact owns a 2007 Chrysler Sebring. The contact stated while driving approximately 55 mph, the engine stalled without warning. The vehicle failed to restart and was towed to an authorized dealer where the fuel pump and wiring harness were replaced. The technician detected that the wiring harness was melted. The manufacturer was notified and stated there was not a recall related to the defect. The approximate failure mileage was 123,000.

- Delaware, OH, USA

Dec 032012

Sebring 4-cyl

When filling tank, after gas pump clicks off, and nozzle is removed, the gas in the tank churns violently up, and out, like a whirlwind, covering me, and the ground with gas. This happens even if I don't 'fill'. dealer charged me $444 to supposedly 'fix' by replacing the charcoal filter, etc., but fix didn't work, and same thing happened next fill. Now waiting for part to come in and whole tank to be replaced...

- East Haven, CT, USA

Mar 132013

I purchased the vehicle listed above in 2011 at city auto plaza while under warranty. The vehicle served my purpose as it was for work and now school only fuel efficient. About 6 or 7 months ago I began to experience an intermittent problem with vehicle it would crank but not start. I would have the vehicle towed to my local mechanic and not faulty codes were discovered. This happened about three or four times until frustrated I parked the vehicle around the first of February 2013 and used my other vehicle for school. The other day I decided to have the vehicle looked at by another local dealership near my home not the Chrysler dealership were purchased my dealing with the dealership folks are not positive or beneficial to me. The mechanic at buddy rays auto care in canon city checked the vehicle and traced the problem to a connection wiring system that was attached to the fuel pump. From their explanation the vehicle was in danger of catching fire if this problem persisted. I contacted my local dealership in an attempt to report this matter and they have not assisted telling me instead that the car had to be in their shop. Because of the danger posed by this problem I have had the vehicle repaired at a cost of $765 dollars to replace the fuel pump, and wiring connectors plus labor. My concern for this car having less than 100,000 miles in my opinion should not have face this type of malfunction in the fuel and electrical system.

- Canon City, CO, USA

Oct 192012

I had been experiencing stalling problems and after ruling out other potential causes, I discovered that the electrical plug connecting on top of the fuel pump was shorted out causing a large hole burned into the sealed plastic top of the pump, when the connection was pulled from it contacts I discovered that it was saturated with fuel. I contacted a mechanic and he stated that this was caused by the fuel pump drawing to many amps therefore causing the small connectors to melt down because of the heat, he advised that this has happened in several Sebrings as well as Dodge caliber models, at this time Chrysler has no recall and the only way to fix this issue is to purchase and install a new fuel pump at a price of nearly $700 dollars. The mechanic stated that in time the fuel would have ignited due to the open electrical circuit.

- Laporte, IN, USA