2.0

2006 Dodge Charger fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Dodge Charger:

2006 Dodge Charger Owner Comments (Page 8 of 10)

Nov 012010

Charger

Problem occurred and continues to occur after filling up the gas tank. First instance was in November 2010 and most recently December 2013. Car will stall numerous times until some amount of gas is burned off after driving. First instance occurred making a turn in front of a railroad track. Other instances have been on a freeway in heavy traffic causing me to have to pull over. Car can restart on the first re-attempt or take up to 4 attempts. Car will usually stall again seconds later. A workaround is not to fill up the tank all the way (to the auto shutoff of the gas pump) but this doesn't always work. This is with a 2006 Dodge Charger with a 5.7 liter hemi. Chrysler denied the issue back in 2010 although the problem was starting to be documented on the internet at that time.

- Fort Worth, TX, USA

Dec 162013

Charger 8-cyl

After fueling my vehicle, I was traveling at approximately 20 mph around a corner and the vehicle stalled and died. Once the engine died, I was unable to steer and had to hard break to avoid going into the other lane of traffic and narrowly avoided missing the oncoming vehicle in the other lane. Once I was stopped I attempted to restart the vehicle, it continued to stall three more times when I attempted to put the vehicle in drive. I was stuck in the middle of the road, on a corner with little visibility. I was finally able to restart the vehicle on the fourth attempt. I was able to drive a couple miles till I stopped at a traffic light. The vehicle stalled and died again right as the light turned green. I again had to restart the vehicle three times before it would stay running. There were multiple vehicles behind me at the light, thankfully they had come to a stop before I stalled. This has happened in the past, but it is getting worse and I no longer feel it is safe to drive. I have taken it to the dealer and was informed that there is a known issue with the fuel system. The cost for this repair is over $2,000 and there is no manufacturers recall at this point. It is my opinion that this is not a wear item, it is a manufacturing defect. This is my family car, and I do not feel safe driving with my children as there is a great risk to their safety.

- Redding, CA, USA

Dec 022013

Charger

Fueled the car, car stalled several times while driving. Happens each time car is fueled. I have tried fueling slowly, and fueling small amounts, nothing works. Car will stall 2-3 times either while sitting or while driving.

- Hardin, IL, USA

Dec 202011

Charger 8-cyl

5.7L hemi engine. For the past 2 yrs, engine will stall after filling-up the gas tank. This doesn't happen after every fill-up, but occurs at random fill-up intervals. The engine will stall multiple times until it's burned off approximately 1 gallon of gas, then operates normally. Stalling mostly occurs when vehicle comes to a stop. However, I've had several instances when the stall occurred on the highway at 60 mph.

- North Babylon, NY, USA

Aug 102012

Charger

Just after I filled up with gas (topped off the tank) I drove don the road and the car stalled and took 15-20 seconds to restart.this happen each time I topped off the fuel rank. If I only fill to 3/4 full no problem.

- Illinois, IL, USA

Nov 202013

Charger

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Charger. The contact stated that while driving 10 mph immediately after refueling, the vehicle stalled with the illumination of the oil warning lamp. The failure was recurring whenever the vehicle was refueled. The vehicle was taken to a independent mechanic, who was unable to determine the cause of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 61,000.

- Sewell, NJ, USA

May 192013

Charger

This has happened at least three times now. Twice for sure leaving a gas station the first time I was approaching a stop sign leaving the gas station and it stalled out. Most recently I was leaving the gas station and had made it out on the road at about 35 mph when the veh stalled. I made it to the shoulder and shut it down. I was able to get it started again. It died again about 150 ft later. Luckily this was right in front of my mechanics shop. He looked at it today and told me I need a new fuel tank because raw fuel is getting pushed up through the vapor valve. I now see I'm not the only person with this issue. Clearly it's a problem with the valve.

- Mount Airy, MD, USA

Oct 282013

Charger

Shortly after filling up the gas tank the car stalled repeatedly when stopping.

- Lawrenceville, GA, USA

Oct 042013

Charger

My 2006 Dodge Charger stalls after I fill up the gas tank. The check oil light will come on and the car shuts off. This happens after I come to a stop after the fill-up. Eventually it stops stalling.

- Chester, VA, USA

Oct 202013

Charger 8-cyl

Car stalls while driving right after fuel fill up.

- Shreveport, LA, USA

May 082013

Charger

Vehicle stalled again today (October 19th, 2013) with no warning while making a left-hand turn at a major intersection. Filled up earlier today with no top off. Has happened multiple times prior since (May 2013). Dealer can not diagnose. Normally happens after fuel fill up. After complaining multiple times to the dealer, replaced all spark plugs and performed a transmission flush and re flashed the PCM at my expense, despite having warranty coverage through 2015 120K miles because they could not repeat the problem on a 5 minute test drive. The vehicle stalled again two days later. After more visits no solution has been met and this car is extremely unsafe.

- Ogdensburg, NY, USA

Aug 082012

Charger

After filling up with gas was turning onto a main road when car suddenly stalled. Dodge dealer could not find problem. Happened several more time over the next couple of month after filling gas tank. Replaced fuel pumps per dealer recommendation. A couple of months later it happened again after filling tank. Did a search and found same problem with gas tank on this same model. In May 2013 replaced gas tank. On several of these instances of car stalling I was leaving gas station and turning into traffic when the vehicle stalled causing near accidents. This is going to cause a fatality if it hasn't already.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Aug 152011

Charger 8-cyl

After filling the fuel tank and making a left hand turn, the vehicle stumbles and shuts off. While it restarts and seems fine after re-starting, sometimes it takes as long as 5 minutes before it will restart.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Dec 012012

Charger

My car has had multiple occurrences where I am sitting at a stoplight in traffic and the car will suddenly shut off for no reason. This usually occurs after I fill the gas tank completely full after a trip to the gas station. My car has also done this while the car is moving. This has happened up to 70 mph while trying to pass another vehicle. The car actually "coughed" then just sort of stalling, suddenly started performing normally. This vehicle has stalled so many times at stoplights in traffic that my wife is afraid to drive it anymore. My local Chrysler dealer has installed two different transmission control modules in the car in an attempt to fix the problem, but to no avail. I have noticed that since I have stopped filling the gas tank completely full that the stalling has stopped.

- Springfield, IL, USA

Feb 152012

Charger

After refueling, the car stalled upon moderate acceleration. I thought it was a one time issue, but took it to a Dodge dealership after the third incident. They could find nothing wrong with the car. After extensive research online, I found that the problem is apparently with a purge solenoid valve that cannot be replaced without the entire gas tank being replaced, as well as the evap canister. The car has been doing this more and more frequently, almost to the point of doing it every fill up. If it doesn't stall when the engine is restarted, it does it randomly within a few minutes of driving. Either while accelerating, or cruising. This is a large safety issue, as my wife drives this car into the city of cincinnati for work, and the car has stalled after she refuels. We are not leaving the engine running during refueling, and we are not topping off the tank. I have done research online and it appears to be happening to several people. This problem has occurred sporadically on multiple occasions, and I have barely avoided crashing a few times when the car stalled while I was turning. The car is a 2006 Dodge Charger R/T with the 5.7L hemi engine.

- Sunman, IN, USA

Jun 172013

Charger 8-cyl

On 5 or 6 occasions, when gas tank is full, my Charger stalls. On one occasion, it restarted easily only to stall again seconds later. Another occasion, stalled, restart, stalled, restart, stalled, restart. Another occasion, stalled and took several attempts to restart. Has stalled from sitting and idling, 10mph and 30 mph. Once it stalled as I was coming to stop at signal light and narrowly avoided rear ending car in front of me because was difficult to apply brake.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Aug 152012

Charger 8-cyl

Nearly every time I refuel the vehicle it stalls 4-6 times in the first 5 miles. This has left me in turns without power steering, on highway on ramps without power steering or brakes, and sitting in busy intersections attempting to re-start the car. It is worse if I turn left after gassing up - car will immediately die while in the intersection. This has happened approximately 30 times in the last 10 months.

- El Cajon, CA, USA

Jan 212013

Charger 8-cyl

After filling up the fuel tank, leaving the gas station the car stalled out several times. First out of the gas station, then 2 more times while getting on the freeway. Very nerve racking. This has been a consistent situation everytime I have filled up for the last several months. I have not been able to use the vehicle to travel back and forth to work or other business needs. Not real happy right now. Have contact dealer and waiting response.

- Mission Viejo, CA, USA

Oct 102011

Charger

The car stalls while driving. It completely shuts off with a loss of all power. Shifting to neutral and restarting while in motion typically works to regain power. This has happened numerous times over the last several months, with no pattern as to when or why. The car has been taken to the dealer twice to no avail.

- Maylene, AL, USA

May 152013

Charger 8-cyl

I purchased this 2006 Dodge Charger R/T from a dealership in woodland, ca immediately after leaving the lot I drove approx. 20 miles on my way home the car started stalling while I was driving on the freeway, I will be driving along and it will suddenly jerk and lose all power for a split second (if someone was riding my bumper it would have been an accident for sure) as it lost power the RPM gauge went all the way down and jumped back up as if the car died completely and restarted itself, it chimed even as if I had just started the car. I have researched this issue online and see its a very common problem to no avail. I took my car to the dealership in my hometown and they could not find the problem, said it was spark plugs etc I ended up spending $550 and its still stalling sometimes up to 15-20 times a day its very dangerous unfortunately the car is out of warranty and I cant afford to keep dishing money out to Dodge. I seriously believe this is a common issue with Dodge and Chrysler vehicles as I've seen online very many people having this same problem but there's no solution as far as I can find! im kinda scared to drive the car like this but its my only means of transportation so this needs to be looked into!! its dangerous!

- Modesto, CA, USA