2006 Dodge Charger fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Dodge Charger:

2006 Dodge Charger Owner Comments (Page 5 of 11)

Feb 032011

Charger 8-cyl

After filling up the gas tank, within minutes I was turning left in an intersection when the engine stopped and the steering became very difficult and an accident was barely avoided. This was extremely dangerous because of oncoming traffic. In fact I was almost struck by two vehicles, one coming at me and the other behind me. I restarted the car, drove through the intersection for about 5-10 seconds and the car stopped again, same steering difficulties. Started the car a third time and it moved forward with no more stops. This has happened at least 20 more time in the past 3 years. Additionally, within the past 6 months, it has been very difficult to put fuel into the tank. It would take about 20 minutes because the nozzle would shut off. I could only put in very small amounts each squeeze of the handle. I find this not only annoying but also question the design of the whole fuel receiving and storage system of this vehicle. I have asked my local Dodge dealership about the problems and was advised that a new gas tank would have to be installed for approximately $1,200! a new gas tank? that would confirm in my mind that these problems are caused absolutely by a design flaw and should be recalled and repaired asap before there are fatalities linked to this flaw.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Dec 292006

Charger 8-cyl

3/1/ husbands 2006 Dodge Charger/hemi, a few months after he purchased vehicle, would stall suddenly after filling the fuel tank with gas. He brought it to the dealer, while still under warranty, but they always told him there was nothing seriously wrong, perhaps a little dirt got into the fuel injection and it should clear up on its own. This kept happening but the dealer still would not admit there was anything wrong. Then within the last few months it would sudden stall even without fueling and/or while he was driving, a definite safety issue. He brought it to another dealer, as the one where he purchased the auto closed, and they diagnosed it to be a defected fuel tank. By now, of course, the vehicle was out of warranty, so we had to pay for the service out of pocket. This was done on 1/14/14 and it was expensive. We definitely feel that this is the responsibility of the manufacturer since it should have been repaired while in warranty and expecting some type of reimbursement. Researching this I found many complaints regarding this same issue and I think they will agree with me. Thank you.

- New Port Richey, FL, USA

Jul 072013

While driving with cruise control on the car just stalled out for about 3-5 seconds and kicked back on. This has now become more frequent and also stalls while stopped now. I have spent over 1300$ trouble shooting and going back and forth to the mechanic. Only to start searching and came across this investigation. I just want the car to run correctly.

- Hauppauge , NY, USA

Feb 072014

Charger 8-cyl

Car will stall while decelerating on freeway after filling up the car. Even though this is an issue that is known with Chrysler and they have extended the tank warranty to lifetime under nvs-213krh; PE13-106 they are still not communicating to the dealers that this issue exists and what the proper fix is. I also can not get them to confirm or deny that my VIN is part of the group of cars that this problem pertains to, however I had the same exact symptoms as all other drives with the car stopping after refueling the system. The dealership tries to blame the customer for 'over-fueling' but I find it ridiculous that you can not fill your engine to full ( 7/8 or above) without this issue happening. When you bring it to the dealership they show raw fuel in the cannister and want to trouble shoot it as a customer error. So far this issue has cost me $2500 (tank, labor, rental, 2 canisters now) to fix on my own and Chrysler and the dealership are of no help.

- Houston, TX, USA

Feb 092011

Charger 8-cyl

After fueling the vehicle it stalls and shuts off. This has happen several times and I have had the evap replaced but the problem till remains. This is a very serious safety issue and someone will get seriously injured and even killed if this does not get fixed. Everyone that owns a Charger like this, life hangs in the balance if they continue to drive it.. please help get Dodge to do a recall. Lives over profits please!!!!!!!

- Midway, GA, USA

Feb 212014

Charger 8-cyl

I own a 2006 5.7 hemi Dodge Charger. During my trip into work my engine shut off automatically in park, so I went through 4 cycles of restarting my engine. Finally I got the car started and proceeded down my street onto the main road. As I gave my car gas the engine shutdown and I went through the cycle again. I called one of the local Dodge dealerships where I purchased my vehicles and they had no complaints on the problem. As I drove to the dealership I got on the interstate at the speed of 70mph the engine was hesitating again, but did not fully shutdown. I am sure Dodge has heard this complaint from multiple owners and I feel Dodge should correct the issue. This is very dangerous especially if you are traveling on a busy road.

- Cary, NC, USA

Jan 262013

Charger 8-cyl

Car was running fine, stopped at a gas station and filled the tank. After leaving the station and pulling into traffic the car engine died. Almost was rear ended due to the car stopping instead of accelerating. Pulled over to the right side of the lane and tried to restart. Second attempt the car started and I pulled out into the lane and drove about a block and the car engine shut off again in an intersection. Another close call with other vehicles. I restarted the engine and pulled into a parking lot and drove around to see if the engine would quit again, it did, 2 more times. Finally it stayed running for awhile so I drove it home approx 10 miles with no problems. Thought I had gotten bad gas or water in the fuel. Drove it for a week no problems. The next time I refueled at a different gas station and it happened all over again, same symptoms. The problem is associated with filling the fuel tank. Seems to match NHTSA action number PE13016.

- Fairfield, CA, USA

May 012013

Charger 8-cyl

When out of town I filled up my Dodge Charger and headed to a hotel. On the road my car began to stall, but not completely lose power. When I slowed to make a turn it completely died. At the time I thought I had gotten bad gas, and had my car towed and repaired. However, it continued to do the same thing only after filling my tank. I took my car to Firestone for a diagnostic and the mechanic told me that I would need a new fuel tank. He told me that many people with my car have been having the same issues. I googled the issues I was having and sure enough he was correct. I eventually got the gas tank replaced at Firestone and there hasn't been any issues since.

- Arlington, TX, USA

Nov 122013

Charger 8-cyl

After filling the gas tank, the car stalled. Numerous attempts to get the car started failed. Car would try to start, but would not catch. After sitting overnight, car would start. Numerous times after filling, the car would chug and lose power or kill all together.

- Farmington, MN, USA

May 102012

Charger 8-cyl

I own a 2006 Dodge Charger R/T with the 5.7 liter hemi engine. I purchased it new in June of 2006 with 5 miles on the odometer. After 6 years of filling up my car by letting the gas pump stop automatically with no issues; the car began to stall right after filling-up when topping off the tank, starting around may of 2012. I called autonation Dodge in roseville, California and the service technician was familiar with my issue. He asked if I had filled up the tank by topping it off. I told him, affirmative. He advised me to not top off the tank at all during fill-ups or to buy a new fuel tank at the cost of $2000-3000 with installation. For the past couple of years, I've been lucky to not top off the fuel tank, but it has occurred at least 4 times when I made the mistake of topping off the gas. The last time this occurred was yesterday. After buying gas and having the pump stop automatically, I drove into a major intersection and stopped at the red light. The car turned off, and it took about 3 tries of re-starting the ignition in park before the car luckily powered on again. When my light turned green, the car would jump and lose power while shifting into second and third gears. I was very fortunate to not have any cars behind me, because this issue of the car stalling could cause an accident. This stalling hazard happened again yesterday on my way home and also this morning. I feel Chrysler/Fiat should replace all effected 2006 Dodge Charger R/ts with this issue by replacing the tank or whatever repair it would take to fix this safety hazard. I feel that most owners of this vehicle won't be aware of this issue until it happens to them personally. It should be mandatory for Chrysler/Fiat to issue a recall with all expenses covered by the manufacturer.

- Antelope, CA, USA

Jul 282013

Charger 8-cyl

After filling gas tank, engine hesitates and/or stalls. I only fill up until the fuel pump automatically shuts off, I do not add any more fuel than that. This has happened almost every time I have filled up with fuel. Most of the stalling/hesitation occurs when coasting or decelerating (coming to a stop). This has created multiple very dangerous situations due to the engine not running and I have a loss of the power assist to the steering. Occasionally the engine has a difficult time restarting after the engine stalls. This will occur approximately 4-8 times after a fill-up of fuel.

- Carpentersville, IL, USA

Jun 222006

Charger 8-cyl

After filling car with gas the engine stalls multiple times for the first few miles.this has happened to me a few hundred times over the years, I have almost been T boned and rear ended multiple times due to this defect. I try not to fill the tank but it happens even if gas is close to the fill mark.

- Union, NJ, USA

Apr 282013

Charger 8-cyl

I refueled the gas tank with high octane gas, and while driving the short distance home, the engine stalled three times. This made braking difficult and scary, as I was in traffic. Each time it started back up, but left me very afraid of wrecking from possibly not being able to stop the car.

- Bowie, MD, USA

Jan 292014

Charger 8-cyl

Every time the vehicle gas tank is filled, the engine stalls shortly after driving away. It requires several cranks of the engine to get started again. After the engine is restarted, driving /idle is rough for some amount of time before returning to normal. This happens all the time. This is very dangerous as the car stalls on me in traffic and merging on to the freeway after filling up at any gas station.

- Apple Valley, CA, USA

Dec 122013

Charger 8-cyl

Stalls and shut off after fill up.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Feb 022014

Charger 8-cyl

After fueling my Dodge Charger, I drove down the road from the gas station and my car stalled. It started a few attempts later. This is the 5th time it has occurred.

- Hulmeville, PA, USA

Feb 022014

Charger 8-cyl

I have a 2006 Dodge Charger srt-8, after a fill-up at the gas station today  as I proceeded out of the gas station I noticed my car started to sputter as I was coming across a bridge. As I came off the bridge my car started to sputter even more and finally as I stopped at a red light the car just stalled.  I re cranked the car not sure of what was going on and proceeded down to my military installation gate entrance. As I approach the gate guard the car just stalls again right in the middle of morning traffic.  this was very dangerous especially having a stalled car at the entrance of a military base.  I recranked the car again and proceeded to work  and as I was going to park the car it just shut off in the parking lot. This seems to be a safety related problems and deserves  a true investigation. This problem seems to be unpredictable so I will not drive the car with my children in it anymore;  I do not feel like the car is safe.

- Panama City, FL, USA

Nov 122013

Charger 8-cyl

When I fill my 2006 Dodge Charger up with gas. It will run about 1/4 mile then stop running. It will crank back up. Run just a little ways and stall again. It does this three times. Then runs good until I fill the gas tank up again and it starts to stall the same way.this almost caused me to crash on 75 South. This car does not show any codes called detroit they say that they don't have a problem with this, but on the net hundreds of people are having the same problem.

- Aragon, GA, USA

Jan 282014

Charger 8-cyl

The car suddenly stalled and engine turned off. The steering was locked and was unable to move. I was turning into my subdivision when suddenly this happened. I was probably around 5 mph. Luckily there was no car behind me. I was able to put the car in park and start it and drive home without issue. The second time it got stalled when the same day I had to take my son to one of his class. When I was stopped at the light, the car stalled. This time it took few tries to get the car started. Once it started, the RPM was fluctuating as if it was starving for fuel. Since other complains have references to this happening after filling up gas, I want to mentioned that I had filled the gas the day before and I must have drove 20 or so miles before this happened first time.

- Cary, NC, USA

Jan 212014

Charger 8-cyl

After refueling, the car stalled out numerous ti ES while on a major highway. Very lucky that I wasn't hit.

- Hendersonville, NC, USA