2. new computer (16 reports)
  3. cool down engine (12 reports)
  4. no solution factory need to call back (11 reports)
  5. replaced pcm (9 reports)
  6. wiggle the wires to the pcm (5 reports)
1999 Dodge Durango engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1999 Dodge Durango:

1999 Dodge Durango Owner Comments (Page 4 of 10)

Oct 142009

Durango SLT 5.9L V8

I've been a Dodge owner since 1993! August of 2004, I bought my Durango. This will be the third PCM that I have had replaced. That's one every two years. I don't even want to think about the money this problem has cost! Maybe someone will come out with a heavy duty PCM. Durango owners be careful, because you never know when your next power failure will happen!! GOOD LUCK TOO YOU!

- , Whittier, CA, USA

Jul 102010

Durango 4x4 5.9L

Recently I have been having issues with my 1999 Dodge Durango losing ALL power. The odometer ready "no bus" and nothing in the truck works, not even the brakes. I did some research online and found out that this is a common problem with the Durango. I also found out that it's due to the location of the truck's computer. It is EXTREMELY close to the engine and with the increased heat during the summer, the combination is too much for the computer to handle so it shuts down. The best reference of this I read was "the brain stop talking to the body" that indicates how serious this is. I haven't done anything to fix the issue because it was manufactured this way and I'm unsure if the computer can be moved without causing other problems. This has happened to me at least 10 times. All occurrences were days it was hot outside. At least 90 degrees. This problem is SO dangerous. I was on the highway when it happened the first time, and had no clue what to do. I know now to let it cool off, but I would like to be able to drive my truck when I need to! This is a VERY serious problem. I'm sure that someone has been killed or injured as a result of this.

It's EXTREMELY disturbing to read SO MANY complaints about the same issue and Dodge has done NOTHING to help! You can't convince me that no one has been injured or killed as a result of this! Everytime I drive in the summer I'm rolling the dice of life and death....that doesn't seem to bother Dodge as long as people keep buying vehicles! I think that site "" needs to lay off the cigarettes for a little while....there a new killer in town!

- , Cincinnati, OH, USA

Jul 232010

Durango 5.2L

Man I am tired of this truck every time i turn around i am standing under the hood of my truck i have replaced the fuel pump ($300) i had a major tune up ($200) within the last 2 weeks i have five children and we have been stuck in the middle of nowhere in 110 degree weather due to this damn truck shutting off without warning its a major safety issue what if i was in an emergency situation? this truck is not reliable AT ALL!! i want my money back but seriously my wife has had to put in about a thousand dollars in repairs since the year began not including what i just put into it DON'T BUY A DURANGO! I repeat DON'T BUY A DURANGO! and if you work for dodge tell them I said they suck thank you very much now i have to go pick up my truck from the last place it stalled

- , Los Banos, CA, USA

Sep 162009

Durango SLT 5.6L

i have a stupid durango and i hate it i have that same problem as everyone else and something really needs to be done about it it randomly shuts off in the middle of the road this is very very dangerous and needs to be delt with i advise anyone and everyone to avoid this type of vehicle i have heard and seen people pay hundreds of dollors to try to fix this problem and nothing is getting done all the big companies want is money and i think its a scam to try to make people pay out more and more with no consern about the peoples safty even if that what they tell you i would really like to know who i need to talk to about this because i have had my dodge over a year and its done this ever since then i have worked on it and ran alot of tests and i couldnt find anything and iv had years of automotive exp. and i think its bullcrap and someone in a position that knows whats up if anyone can contact me please do so and if so and i can get mine fixed ill post a new complaint thing and let others know whats goin on contact me at ( or hell if you cant get me there please feel free to call me at 1 606 862 1252 thanks

- , London, KY, USA

Jul 142009

Durango SLT 5.2L

Car just shuts off while driving pull over 10-15 minutes it starts back up .so far i changed the sensor inside the distributor coil $60. changed the thermostat $15 changed the thermostat censor $25 had the truck at the mechanic so he caan find the problem he said it was the ecm. he charged me $200 to diagose the problem. i send ecm to a guy he rebuild it i installed it i drove 80 miles no problem and it started again now i cant drive more than 5 miles without it happening.

i know dodge is aware of this problem its dangerous. why cant we file a class action suot against them?

- , Rutherford, NJ, USA

Mar 172010

Durango SLT 5.9L

You can be driving in hot weather and the engine will shut down without warning and the no bus code shows up on the odometer readout. Could be ten minutes to an hour before it will start again. It usually happens in hot weather. Has not occurred early in the morning or at night.

- , Smyrna, DE, USA

May 272010

Durango SLT 360

Vehicle stalls while driving, could be half hour, could be 10 minutes. Did a tune up, sparkplugs, wires, distributor cap, rotor, crank sensor. Test drove, 15 minutes until it dies while driving again. Could be deadly. If you disconnect battery for 5 minutes, probably will start up again. Didn't hear fuel pump when it stalled while trying to crank it over, thats why I disconnected battery for computer reset. Need help! Any suggestions??

- , Vernon, CT, USA

Jun 032009

Durango 5.2L V8

My car just shut off while driving down the road.Dodge needs to step up and fix the problems before someone get seriously hurt. I had the pcm box replaced last summer and this summer it is doing the same thing. Dodge needs to do a recall and fix the problem with the pcm box!

- , Spartanburg, SC, USA

Nov 202009

Durango SLT 5.2L V8

the check engine light is on. changed numerous parts, but still does it. seen many other people with the same problem. this needs to b figured out and recalled. my vechile has stopd in the middle of the road, on train tracks, and numoerous bad spots. i have 4 kids and lots of traveling

- , Clarence, MO, USA

May 192010

Durango XLT 5.9L

I was driving with my son on the way to pick up my daughters from school. the truck stalls out and looses power as i was in heavy city traffic. i barely get to the side of the road almost getting hit from the rear. i tried to start it but it wouldn't turn over. i waited for 30 min in 98 degree weather on the side of the road. then it finally started. got 2 miles down the road and it did it again. i scared the crap out of me. finally got it put on diagnostics and no codes were displayed. the engine light never came on and the odometer read NO BUS. i had a new battery put on ($120), battery cables ($100),a new coil ($40). i don't know what the problem is. reading the complaints here i don't know where to start. this truck is our family main mode of transportation. not being able to drive it is causing a lot of hardship considering every solution on here is needs a foot in the butt. there ain't no way, that with all the complaints on this truck and every complaint being identical' that they don't know this is a serious problem. when will they take responsibility for whatever the problem is , when a family gets cleared off the road?...............PLEASE HELP

dodge has got to answer for this. go to this website and file a complaint. maybe if they get enough complaints dodge will do the recall.

- , Converse, TX, USA

Aug 102009

Durango Magnum V8 5.7L

this truck has put me through the ringer from blowing tranny lines to sensors,

shutting down while driving no for -warning when it shuts down mind you no power steering no anti lock brakes this suv is likely to be the heaviest on the road and ur left to fend for yourself hit your hazzards and not rear end someone or drive off a cliff or into a ditch yes very dangerous im 5 ft tall 110 lbs and stomping on the breaks and trying 2 maneuver this tank is hard enough imagine a disabled person or grand parent

- , Kent, WA, USA

May 012009

Durango SLT V8

Within the last year... the Durango has given us nothing but trouble. It has constant stalling. I think it is sh*tty of the dealership not recall... because there is thousands of us online that are having the same problem... It is stupid they will recall a ball joint but not this.... something that could and probably has called deaths... due to stalling on major intersections.....

- , Elizabehtown, IL, USA

Mar 202010

Durango V8

Spent over 700 in December for repairs including new serpentine belt, battery cables, and such, drove to Savannah, went to get in it wouldn't start. Me being me and thinking I can fix anything jiggled the battery cables and it started right up. Died 3 more times on the way home...once in traffic while I'm in the far left lane..VERY scary for me and my 2 kids. Got it home safe...needed to go buy lawn mower. Get to the store again with no problems...go to leave and the effin thing won't start. I again jiggle the wires and it starts. Took it in today, and they tell me I am in need of a new computer...we will see hopefully this fixes it!!!!

- , Hinesville, GA, USA

Apr 112010

- , Moreno Valley, CA, USA

Mar 312010

Durango SLT

Wow.... I was thinking I would try to get my Durango back on the road, and stumbled onto this site. I can't believe that so many people are having the same problems with this car that I had. I would actually like some advice on the situation. I found my Durango at a used car dealer. I loved the car, and decided it would work great with my family. 3 days after I bought it, it would not start. I was advised to put a new Air Intake Control Valve in. I live on an island, and I have to ship my car over to the mainland to fix it. I called the dealer I got it from, and he told me to bring it back and they would fix it. I spent the money to send it over on the ferry just to get it back with more problems. It started to shut off at random times, leaving me scrambling for a place to glide to. I was pregnant with 2 small kids in the backseat. It scared me.

Update from Apr 8, 2010: So needless to say... I sent it back again to get fixed... They claimed it was part of the engine that was bad.. fixed it and tacked on another $1000.00 to my payment balance. I shipped it back to the island, and the second I drove off the ferry, the check engine was back on. It seemed to drive fine, but started shutting off again. We have rotarys instead of stop lights over here, and my truck would shut off in the middle of the rotary. Also when I was pulling into a road or parking lot... it would just go dead. I called the dealership to report the problem once again, and they basically told me I would have to send it back. I am so fed up with sending it back and forth, and not having a car when it is over there for two weeks. So I refused to send it back. They got pissy with me, so I pulled the car off of the road and drove my back up. I stopped payments and told them to come and get it. It is still sitting there. They called and said something about taking me to court, but I know they knowingly sold me a bad car. I had SUCKER written all over my face. But now what do I do. I know if it goes to court, I have good reason to not make payment, but at the same time, I spent over $1000.00 sending the truck back and forth on the ferry. I would like to get some of that back. Then I was thinking now that my back up car is broken down, I could try to fix the durango and get it back on the road, but this website scared the hell out of me.

- , Nantucket, MA, USA

Dec 292008

Durango 5.2L

I've had my 1999 Dodge Durango for about a year already. What a headache! It shut off with no really warning. I had a few mechanics look at it, first it was the fuel pump - changed that, then the crankshaft sensor - changed that, then they said it was the PCM I bought a rebuilt one - didn't work. So I bought I brand new one which worked perfectly for about 7-8months but now its doing the same thing! I spent a lot of money trying to fix it.I really don't know what to do at this point!

- , Chicago, IL, USA

Feb 082010

I HATE MY DODGE DURANGO!!! When I first bought the Durango last March I was very happy with it. We had bought it because my family and I were moving to the mountains and needed a four wheel drive that we could depend on to get in and out of the mountains during the winter months. But shortly after we bought the Durango it stated leaving us at random times of the day. We would be driving at it will just shut off. I have almost been in some awful accidents, traveling the highways and it just shut off with no warning!! I am scared to drive this Durango especially with my children, but with these hard times I have no choice but to put myself and my children in harm's way to pay the bills. And the sad part about it all is I work to pay on this note that I don't have anymore money to put into this Durango. We have replaced the fuel pump and 3 different sensors but still no luck on finding the solution.. GET OFF YOUR ASS DODGE AND RECALL THE DURANGO BEFORE YOU KILL SOMEONE!!!!

- , Cedar Crest, NM, USA

Feb 202010

Durango SLT 5.9L

If the odometer reads NO BUS, then replace the PCM and keep it cool for the first 6 months. if it just does not start then it can be a number of things like a fuel pump or clogged fuel filter but most likely it will be the air idle sensor, do not i repeat do not take it to a dealership they charge you out the A55 and the problem dont go away is stays,600 plus dollars is too much. order it through a parts store and do it your self it will take 10 to 15 minutes,

- , Westminster, CO, USA

Jul 012009

Durango SLT V8

click to see larger images

shuts down while driving

I hate Dodge. I hate the Durango. It can kiss my ASS!

This car has broken down so many times it's unbelievable. The worst time would probably be in the far left lane on the highway. Yeah, that wasn't fun. Or, maybe it was the time it broke down and swerved into the other lane, causing a car to rear-end me (breaking my back rear-light). Oh joy! Then again, who knows? My car has broken down too many times for me to even count.

Dodge needs to hurry up and get this model recalled before someone gets seriously injured, and before they get seriously sued.

- , Irving, TX, USA

Oct 262009

Durango SLT V8

My Durango stopped on me around six months ago for the first time. After 15 minutes or so it started back up and ran fine. I had a diagnostic run on it. All it would report is that the vehicle had Auto-stopped on me. I was in Colorado then. I married a woman in California and headed for Redding in June. The Durango Auto-Stopped several times on the 1300 mile trip. This is dangerous, of course, because you lose your power steering and brakes whenever it happens. There is no warning whatsoever. I had it diagnosed here in Redding and was told the same thing as before. The mechanic here suggested I had to wait until I experienced "an event" that would register a code before the problem could be identified and dealt with. I bought a new Auto-stop relay and called a local mechanic. By that time, because of several Auto-stops, I was aware that the only gauge that didn't work when I Auto-stopped was the gas gauge. The mechanic figured this was an indicator that the fuel pump sensor was reporting to the computer that I was out of gas. That made sense to me because I could turn the car over, the lights and horn worked, etc. He replaced the fuel pump ($590.00) and I thought we were good to go. My wife and I were out in a rural area giving her 15-year-old daughter a driving lesson, going 40mph down a country road when the car begain to drift to the right. The girl complained that the steering wheel was locked as we barrelled along the shoulder and through the weeds. I was in the back seat and told her to just apply the brakes and stop the car. She was upset, of course, and complained that the brakes didn't work either as we went through a stop sign. Drivers from both directions very nearly T-boned us as she put her whole leg into the brake. I got out and explained to a bunch of angry people that it wasn't the girl's fault, she had, in fact, done very well to keep her head and slam her leg into the brake. We'd have ended up in a river if she hadn't. I threw my shoulder into the thing and pushed it to the side of the road for the hundredth time, waited 15 minutes, started it up and drove it home. I certainly wouldn't sell this vehicle to another unsuspecting soul (it runs fine for up to 15 miles before it Auto-stops). I've read other comments on your site and don't see a clear solution to this problem. If misery loves company, I suppose I should feel good because there are lots of other folks dealing with this. I don't, I just hope someone has figured it out by now.

Thanks! Tom (WordWulf)