9.3

2. new computer (16 reports)
  3. cool down engine (12 reports)
  4. no solution factory need to call back (11 reports)
  5. replaced pcm (9 reports)
  6. wiggle the wires to the pcm (5 reports)
1999 Dodge Durango engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1999 Dodge Durango:

1999 Dodge Durango Owner Comments (Page 5 of 10)

Jul 012009

Durango 5.9L

I purchased a 1999 Durango 5.9L in Dec 2008, it ran good for a while, then out of nowhere, it started to "shut off" while I was driving. Scares the sh*t out of me. The odometer says "no bus". Then it wont start. I replaced the PCM in July, after reading numerous online post and it fixed the problem for about a month, then it started to do it again. Today I changed the crankshaft sensor, hopefully that will help. I would not give this truck to my worst enemy, Dodge should really take ownership on this issue.

- , El Paso, TX, USA

May 112005

Durango SLT 5.2L

Update to post #24 below. Narrowed the problem down to the rear (aft) power plug going into the PCM. When the PCM gets hot the connection between the two or the actual receptacle shorts out, tripping the engine cutoff solenoid. I cleaned each contact and added a small piece of foil into each contact hole on the plug to ensure electrical connectivity. I then re-attached the plug and put tension on it with zip-ties, in effect pulling the plug harder into the PCM. This has given me a much more reliable vehicle. The next time your Durango stalls, open the hood and jiggle the aft plug to try and see if the shutoff solenoid trips back on. If it does a couple zip-ties might be all you need.

- , Collierville, TN, USA

Mar 052009

Durango SLT 5.9L

i have had my 1999 Durango for less then a year 2 months after i got it it just started dieing with out any warning in the middle of the hyw in intersections every were. i can most of the time get it started my messing with the connections to the p.c.m. i have takin it in to the shop about 6 or 7 times and no one can tell me what the hell is wrong with it. i have 5 children and they r in my car most of the time with me, i am afraid one of these days the car is going to die and some one is going to miss the hazards i think dodge needs to man up and do a recall on this car

- , Grand Junction, CO, USA

Sep 092009

Durango 5.9L V8

I have had this car for 2 yrs this problem has been occurring for the lastr year worsening. Today when getitng on the freeway I was in the slow lane when my car died, had tom put on the hazards and coast as far as I could next to the wall. Very dangerous. It just dies with out warning, and then gives a no BUS reading, use to be able to wiggle the wires and get it to start at the middle connecter of the PCM. I have three kids and cant even imagine the possibilities for disaster. I have taken it to 2 local shops and the doge dealer ship all to tell me they do not know what the problem is. This sucks!! I am tired of the frustration and the dangerous situations this has placed me in, not to mention the financial loss of tows, estimates, loss work time etc. Dodge needs to take ownership of this problem, do a recall and fix it,or I am gonna take it back to the dealership when it's working right and do a trade in without warning.

- , Sacramento, CA, USA

Aug 132009

Durango SLT 5.9L

After two and a half weeks and two garages, the random stopping of the vehicle, with no warning and no dash warning lights, appears to be fixed. Initially, the PCM was replaced, and appeared to fix the problem, but as I was leaving the local independent garage, it died on the way out. They recommended I take it to a certified Dodge dealer - who patiently took over a week to diagnose the real problem. It turned out to be both the PCM and the crankshaft sensor. Turns out, the PCM was initially bad, but that the bad crank sensor fried the new PCM module too (The dealer said they were getting a "no bus" condition after the new sensor was put in). They installed a new sensor, and ran the car with the new PCM, and it still died. Once they ran the vehicle with the new sensor and a test PCM, it ran fine, and, since I bought the new PCM from the manufacturer, it was replaced under warranty. I don't know if this is the solution to everyone else's problems, but I hope it can help save time and money for people when checking it out.

- , Westbank, BC, Canada

May 042009

Durango SLT 5.9L

I recently bought a Durango slt 5.9L. man do i wish i checked out this sight first, then maybe i wouldn't be dealing with this piece of sh*t. when i first got the car it stalled out once, so i took it in and they said the o2 secsor was bad. so i got that replaced along with a engine purge and a oil change. drove the car for hundreds of miles with no problems, and now its stalling out for no reason. here's what happens: i'll be driving and first the gauges on the dash will turn off, then the engine runs for about 3 seconds and then stalls. ive got enough time to turn on my emergency lights and find a place to pull over. this is a big problem for someone who doesn't have a license. all i need is to stall out right in front of a cop and im f*cked.

I recently was riding with someone who also had a dodge and it had alot of the same problems mine did. the widow motor is goin bad, the ashtray broke in the same spot as mine, and the muffler is crap. last time i buy a dodge. I'm hoping someone has advice on how to fix it so it doesn't stall out. I couldn't sell this car to someone else with this problem. If you do have advice will you email me at kchritz@yahoo.com thanks for listening.

- , Midland, MI, USA

Aug 122009

Durango 5.2L

My car has died several times on me. The last time I had my 3 kids with me and was in the left lane going up a hill when it happened. Fortunately no one rear ended me and 2 nice guys came and pushed me off the street. After while, when it cooled down, it started back up. This is very dangerous especially if you are going a faster speed and you lose complete control of your car.

- , Naches, WA, USA

Jun 222009

Durango

My 18 year old son purchased a used 1999 Durango and one week into driving it the Durango shuts down and loses all power. We have found that after letting it sit for a bit it will start back up. After searching on line it appears to be a notorious problem and I am finding it hard to believe Chrysler has not come up with a resolution to this. This could be extremely dangerous. This happens nearly every day to him. It really is a bad situation. You have a teenager, working full time, trying to pay his way through college, borrows money to purchase what he thought was a decent dependable vehicle only to find out afterward the person who sold it to him surely knew about the problems and was not honest NOW trying to find an inexpensive fix for it. Suggestions???????

- , Scottville, MI, USA

Aug 012008

Durango 5.2L

The PCM is placed in a hot area and needs to be vented better where it can cool.

- , Dowagiac, MI, USA

Jul 012009

Durango 5.9L

"no bus, I think this means no business like no business running a automotive corp. The engine suddenly stops without any signs. No, brakes, no power steering, no warning. This problem started about a year ago and has progressively worsened. It seems like it happens after I have driven for a while, then nuttin. Then wait for awhile and it starts right up. I have looked all over the country and have had very little luck finding a used pcm. I wonder why? It seems like every one has this problem, I wonder if it is only the hot part of the year and the pcm is overheating? Is it possible to insulate the pcm from the air filter area to hinder this prob? I hate class action suits, but definately think that this a liability issue for Chrysler and is a safety issue for the consumer. Like anything else with big business they will turn a blind eye until it hits them in the pocket. Be safe.

- , Alton, IL, USA

Apr 082009

Durango LS 5.9L V8

I have a 99 durango. it wants to stall every once in a while then it might stop for a day or 2 then start again. the rpms go up and down, not like real fast, then it will drop down below two rpms. it shut off sometimes. i have to hold the brake and gas at the same time to keep it started then sometimes my rpm wil stick up real high and its like im burning out without even pressin the gas i have know idea what it could be

- , Girard, OH, USA

Aug 022009

Durango SRT V8

my 1999 dodge durango dies on the street and said "no bus" on miles. i think it's the engine control module electric wire.

- , Fresno, CA, USA

Apr 152009

Durango 5.9L V8

Im really upset over Dodge on this issue, it puts the safety of me and my family on the line each time I even try to drive it. When it just dies on the highway it just puts the live of me and other drivers in jeopardy. We have been lucky so far we havent been rearended or caused an accident. Everytime it does this it says "no bus" its just so frustrating that i only had it since 11-24-08. Still I really do like my Durango. I do believe that Chrysler corp, should make this a recall before someone gets killed. I dont recommend Dodge, Chrysler, or anything to do with that corporation. Just dont buy one.

--Reader-

- , Gore, OK, USA

Jun 012009

Durango SLT 5.2L

wasted money on this vehicle problem still there 1999 dodge Durango nothing but junk no one seems to known whats wrong with it not even dodge wrote dodge a letter finally got a response gave me a number to call so i did they told me to take it back to dealer and wanted to know why i was calling the person i spoke with was rude

- , Knoxville, TN, USA

Jul 142009

Durango SLT 5.9L V8

this has become a safety issue when crossing the street and engine dies, i don't recommend you to buy dodge again.

- , Ark City, KS, USA

Jul 262009

Durango SLT 5.2L V8

LOVE THE VEHICLE! But have had a few issues. The stalling for no apparent reason other than it had rained within the past three days is not fun! We have a window motor thats bad and a power lock that has gears stripped out on it. These are the only things so far we have had go wrong with the truck. Apparently the pcm is in need of replacement and we will try our luck there. Any one that has replaced the pcm and it did not fix the issue, please let me know. If there is a cheaper fix, i am game for it.

- , Bristol, VA, USA

Jul 142009

Durango SLT 5.9L

Wow, the "no bus" signal is popular! My 1999 Durango just stops whenever it feels like it. Living in Arizona it happens on a daily basis this summer. I am going with the IDLE AIR CONTROL MOTOR replacement to see if it will do the trick.

Update from Jul 22, 2009: The Idle air control motor was replaced. It turned the check engine light off but the car still stops dead wherever it wants to. I noticed that the air flow from the fan blows scroching hot air right at the pcm. So I took a storage container lid and blocked the flow of hot air. This helped but did not stop the problem. I put a car scrubbing mitt over the pcm and soaked it with water, BAM! no problems. I drove all over in 110 degree weather in the valley of the sun, Phoenix, no issues all day. The next day I needed to tow a bunch of heavy stuff on a large trailer. I soaked the mitt on the pcm again and no problem all day long. The hot air deflection and cool moist towel over the pcm kept it going all day. This tells me that it is possible that the heat is expanding the plastic and metal pieces of the pcm enough to shut the car down. The good thing is that this is a safety feature so that you don't burn your car down while driving. The bad thing is that you have to soak down your pcm every morning before driving around.

I have a nrew pcm coming in the mail tomorrow and I will see if that fixes the problem. Honestly I think the only REAL fix is to somehow reinstall the pcm somehwere inside the vehicle where it won't get so hot.

The jist of what I am saying is, it's a hot day, the fan blows the hot

ir off the motor right onto the the fender and pcm. The front of the pcm gets the scorching hot air from the engine, the fender ehats up the back mount of the pcm until the whole thing is cooking. If the pcm were installed nder the dash or under the passenger seat, Dodge would not be having any of these problems. I am going to be taking a good look at the possibility of relocating the pcm with the curent wiring in place, there is alot of slack on all lins coming in, wish me luck! If this is succesful, I will post pictures of what you can do to stop this car from draining your wallet and patience. I am a chevy man at heart but I like the Durango for it's spunk and interior space. Keep in mind that this model also has a recall on the front upper ball joints as well. I had mine repleced about a year ago.

Also do not put those huge tires on your durango, it just wears out the front suspension even quicker.

- , Mesa, AZ, USA

Jun 012009

Durango SLT V8

fuel pump was changed, bus cable changed, car stopped dead on freeway several times during rush hour. Was down 3 different times for diagnosis now computer has been ordered and is on back order for two more weeks. Many hours of work lost, as well as a safety issue, I could have been killed. I would never take my grandchildren in this car again.

- , San Jose, CA, USA

Jun 212009

Durango SLT 5.9L V8

I HAVE HAD THIS CAR FOR ALL OF FIVE MONTHS AND IT'S BEEN AN ON AND OFF MIGRANE EVER SINCE,,, I DROVE IT ACROSS THE COUNTRY TO GO VISIT TEXAS FROM GA, AND IT HAS BEEN SITTING THERE EVER SINCE, BREAKING DOWN ON THE SIDE OF THE ROAD ON THE WAY I MIGHT ADD.. REPLACED THE ROTOR, AND DISTRIBUTOR, THEN, AND AND HAD TO DO IT AGAIN A DAY LATER,..!?!?!?... I JUST DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO... I JUST RECENTLY PUT IT IN THE SHOP AT A DODGE DEALERSHIP, AND THEY ARE TELLING ME IT'S THE CAM SENSOR, SOMETHING DEALING WITH THE CRANKSHAFT OR WHATEVER... I JUST HAVE NO IDEA WHAT TO DO,,, HOPE THIS FIXES IT,,, BECAUSE I'M PUTTING MORE IN THIS CAR THAT WHAT ITS WORTH, AND IF I TRADE IT TO A DODGE DEALERSHIP, THEY THEY ONLY WANT TO OFFER BS FOR A PRICE.... WHAT IS THIS ALL ABOUT,,, CAN I NOT TRUST DODGE ANYMORE?!?!?

- , Warner, GA, USA

Jun 272009

Durango LX 5.9L

My mechanic,has changed out the Distributor,cap, and rotor,now he wants to put a used computer at$400.00 My rebuilt computer was put in 14mo ago so no warranty.The car runs with a wet cloth on the computer.I am in Denver and now afraid to drive home to Az as I have my grandaughter with me and it is really scary when the engine shuts down no matter how fast you are going.I loved this truck until I read I am not alone in this problem.It is my only transportation.I can't even sell it.Why would Dodge put the computer in such a hot area?Is there anyway to build something around it to keep it cool?Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.Dee

- , Tucson, AZ, Pacific Islands (US)