2001 Dodge Durango electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Dodge Durango:

2001 Dodge Durango Owner Comments (Page 3 of 3)

Jan 042009

Durango

My 2001 Durango caught fire while in park. It happened just after having a little trouble with the lights behind dashboard / fuse blown. The place repairing my truck said that I have a short in the electrical cluster that controls lighting behind dash. I have seen other similar complaints one at carcomplaints.com.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Oct 012007

Durango

The contact owns a 2001 Dodge Durango. While parked in the driveway with the engine shut off, the vehicle began to smoke. The contact extinguished the fire and had the vehicle towed to a dealer. She discovered that the vehicle was included in NHTSA campaign id number 06V339000 (electrical system). The dealer installed a cap to prevent additional fluid from contaminating the connector, which caused the fire. Almost one year later, the failure recurred. The contact also experienced failures with the head gaskets. While the vehicle was at a repair shop, the mechanic checked the fluids with the engine running. The mechanic opened the driver's door and observed a large amount of smoke and flames inside the passenger compartment. After the fire was extinguished, it was discovered that the cause of the failure was the same plug that set the driver's seat on fire a year earlier. The contact stated that the repair should be included in the recall because she believes it was not properly repaired the first time. The failure mileage was 110,000 and current mileage was 150,000.

- Genoa City, WI, USA

Jun 262008

Durango

Driving lights went on and off while driving at night. When serviced found out about recall #57272 for 2003 Dodge Durangos. They have a body control module issue on this year model. Mine is a 2001 Durango that has the exact same issue and Dodge will not help with anything because it is out of the recall year. While searching on the internet it seems there are other years that have the same issue. Dodge customer service was very poor when asked to assist in this regard.

- East Berlin, PA, USA

Jul 012008

Durango

After purchasing my Durango used from a local dealer I immediately began having issues with the transmission slipping out of gear while going up passes, passing car, towing etc. I took it back to the dealer and they stated that the transmission had been over filled causing this. I then drove it again and it still happened. In researching my Durango I found that it already had its tranny replaced at 60K miles by the previous owner. I also have the gear shift lever that will come out of gear without the brake being pressed, but I see they actually recalled that particular item so it will soon be fixed. I also have rear and passenger window that stopped rolling up or down by their controls but still operate with driver controls. And last but not least my engine service light came on right before a trip stating that I had a coolant leak. I had just washed my Durango so I reset the light and it hasn't came back on again. What did happen though is as soon as I reset the light my service 4WD light came on and will not clear. Does Dodge actually recall the annoying things too or do they wait until it becomes a problem that actually kills someone before anyone takes notice? hello Toyota here we come tire of all the tranny issues with american cars.

- Fort Collins, CO, USA

Jun 102008

Durango 8-cyl

Power locks, headlights, dome lights, intermittent wipers, and rear wiper all flicker and then fail to work. Also, there is a buzzing and ticking sound coming from under the engine fuse box even with the vehicle turned off! I unplugged the negative lead on the battery. The problem came right back!

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Sep 152007

Durango 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2001 Dodge Durango. The headlights, wipers, and power door locks malfunctioned intermittently. After the vehicle was turned off and restarted, the headlights, wipers and power door locks would function properly; however, the interior lights would flicker. The dealer stated that the central timer module needed to be replaced. No repairs were made. The current and failure mileages were 87,000. Updated 03/05/08.

- Conneaut, OH, USA

Nov 012007

Durango 8-cyl

My 2001 Dodge Durango headlights, taillights, and dash lights blink intermittently and the dealer does not admit there is a problem, but after researching online found other owners complaining about the same problem. Is this not a dangerous situation for drivers who may need their lights to work dependably" how does one get the manufacturer to investigate this situation"

- Pacifica, CA, USA

May 122007

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2001 Dodge Durango. The contact stated that the horn works intermittently and the headlights failed. While driving approximately 60 mph in dry conditions, the vehicle stalled. The vehicle is experiencing electrical failure that causes all of the electrical components to indicate incorrect information. Presently, the dealer is unable to determine the cause of failure. The engine size was unknown. The current and failure mileages were 56,000.

- Plymouth, IN, USA

Mar 302007

Durango

2001 Dodge Durango customer stated that it is a clicking noise inside the vehicle and that the doors lock and unlock by themselves automatically* the problem was identified as being the electric locking switch on one or more of the doors. The problem manifested when the lock switch became wet and then it would short out the electric switch. The consumer was told he could neutralize the electric lock system by removing the appropriate fuse in the left dashboard fuse panel.

- Dupont, WA, USA

Nov 092004

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

- the contact has a 2001 Dodge Durango with and odometer reading of 150000. The vehicle had safety recall 1F637489-F42 unused wiring connector under the front bench seat, which caused a fire in the vehicle damaging the seat and the carpet. The contact had the safety recall repaired at the dealer's expense, however, the dealer refused to pay for the damage that was done to the contacts carpet and bench seat. The contact would like to know if she has any recourse to recover the damage to her caused by the safety recall to her front carpet and bench seat. The contact does not currently have any pictures, but she does have the receipts for the repair work. Updated 02/22/07.

- Thornton, CO, USA

Nov 102006

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

I bought my 2001 Dodge Durango sport in November 2000. Over the course of the past six years I have had to have so many repairs and replacements of parts, brakes, tires, electrical fuses & resistors done that I can honestly say that I will never buy another Dodge vehicle again. The biggest concerns to me have been around brakes needing replacement three times, upper ball joints replaced due to recall, lower ball joints exhibiting excessive wear as well (but not being able to get daimler/Chrysler to fix them because it isn't covered under my warranty or the recall notices) and ABS & brake lights on the dashboard showing up intermittently. I had to have the power steering line replaced completely due to it rusting through and continuously leaking steering fluid. The dealership replaced my steering fluid and told me it would be fine to drive until the part came in. They said they would call me as soon as the part arrived. Two weeks later I had to chase them down to get an answer as to whether or not the part had arrived and was told I would need to wait another week to bring the Durango in for repairs. Just recently my check engine light came on, I drove straight to the dealership to ask them to look at it and they asked me if the car was bucking or stalling. I said no and they told me it was nothing to worry about then. I tried to make an appointment, but couldn't even be seen for a week and a half. I asked for a loaner vehicle and they said that Chrysler doesn't provide those, but they could certainly get me a rental...why bother buying from a company that doesn't offer even minimal things to their customers?

- Amesbury, MA, USA

Aug 092006

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

: the contact stated the vehicle caught fire while parked in the driveway. The fire department was called and determined the fire originated from under the driver's seat and was of an electrical nature. There were no problems with the vehicle prior to the incident. The dealership was not notified but the contact planned to. The vehicle was totaled and a police report was taken.

- Eastpointe, MI, USA

Jun 012006

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

After the check engine warning light went on and was addressed by a local authorized mechanic, the vehicle warning tones begin sounding continuously, the remote radio controls stopped functioning and the rear wiper would go on intermittently. The vehicle was brought back to the same mechanic who performed a computer diagnostic but could find no issues. After which all vehicle lights began flashing when the headlights are turned on.

- Forked River, NJ, USA

Jun 172006

Durango 4WD

Driving 70 mph on interstate with my two small children with me, without warning I lost power and all gauges went to 0. fortunately, I was able to make it to the emergency lane. I shut the vehicle off waited a few moments and tried to restart. The engine would not start, all lights on the panel were on, windows, radio, seats, and locks worked. I had the vehicle towed to a dealership where it still sits. Unable to locate problem at this time. Finding on forums that it is a PCM issue and seems to be more prevalent than the vendor admits.

- Edinburg, VA, USA

Sep 012000

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

I have been with this vehicle in the shop every time you turn around. Currently we were driving down the road and smoke came from the vents. It was a fire which they are still trying to find where the short is. Also the convertor for the air conditioner is bad and had to be replaced. Because of the short the battery was replaced two times because of the burning it up, the spring broke when I hit a bump and my daughters neck was wrenched. Every other day the vehicle won't start, the locks won't work after having them redone by clio Chrysler, the windows won't go up and down, the car has a bad steering rack which we reported to you quite some time ago (2 different dealerships evaluated and reported this), the ball joints were bad, the car creaks currently underneath as though it is going to fall in to pieces. The alternator had to be replaced, the sensors all were going bad at different times, so every other day the car won't run. The one cost us a mint in gasoline because the car would just drink the gas and shoot out black smoke. This is a 2000 vehicle from problems dating from day one of purchase. The vehicle.

- Clio, MI, USA

Oct 072004

Durango

While driving at any speed the horn honked and the head lights flashed off and on without warning. Please provide additional information.

- Hanover, MD, USA

Apr 072004

Durango 4WD

A fire started under the center seat on passenger's side of the vehicle while driving at 25 mph. There were flames and heavy smoke. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The cause of fire was unknown.

- Church Rock, NM, USA

Oct 212002

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

The control arm and ball joint experienced premature wear.. the dealer refused to replace under warranty. The spark plugs were replaced.

- New Cumberland, WV, USA

Feb 122002

Durango

Consumer states, while driving, the dashboard lights illuminated and all instruments went in a negative mode, the gas gauge went from full to empty, the speedometer went to zero and all the other instruments went the opposite direction, possible electrical problem.

- Allen, TX, USA

Feb 122002

Durango

While driving, the dashboard lights illuminated and all instruments went in a negative mode, the gas gauge went from full to empty, the speedometer went to zero and all the other instruments went the opposite direction, possible electrical problem.

- Allen, TX, USA