2001 Dodge Durango suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Dodge Durango:

2001 Dodge Durango Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jul 112016

I purchased the vehicle on 7/11/16 and the same day the tire blew due to the upper ball joint which does have a recall. Mine was completely disintegrated, but supposedly the recall was closed as it was to have been serviced already. Either it wasn't serviced or there is still an issue. I contacted NHTSA and they put me through to Dodge who spoke with me about there only being one open recall on it and I told her about the ball joint and she told me they would cover the repair and tow and sent a tow truck and towed it to motor village but did not tell them that they would be covering the ball joint work so they told me to have Dodge contact them in the morning. When I did contact Dodge, the first rep couldn't get through and so she opened a case. I then called motor village to get the service admin's phone number to give to Dodge and when I contacted Dodge the 2nd time, I was informed that now they would not be covering it and that they are sorry for the misunderstanding. They also won't be towing it back either and I do not have money to do so as I am facing eviction and just purchased that car to get ready to move and now I have no idea what to do. I would not have sent it to Dodge if they didn't represent they would fix the ball joint and now all I have from them is an apology for the misunderstanding and no way to fix or get my car that I just purchased out.

- La, CA, USA

Apr 202016

The contact owns a 2001 Dodge Durango. The contact stated that while turning the steering wheel in either direction, an abnormal noise was present coming from the front drivers side of the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to a dealer who diagnosed that the driver side ball joints needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown. The VIN was not available.

- Lathrop, CA, USA

Apr 152015

The contact owns a 2001 Dodge Durango. While driving at approximately 40 mph, the vehicle shook. When the steering wheel was turned in either direction, there was an abnormal grinding noise coming from the front wheels. The failure recurred continuously. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the front ball joints failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 04V596000 (suspension). The approximate failure mileage was 195,000.

- Washington Terrace, UT, USA

Jan 022012

Clunking when turning.

- Piqua, OH, USA

Sep 202010

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

Prior to the hub freezing up the SUV was making a squeaky noise in the front end this later turned into a clunking noise and the car would sway when ever there were lane changes especially noticeable at hwy speeds 55 to 65 mph and driving over the lane marker caps on the freeway. This then developed into a metal to metal grinding noise from the front end prior to the wheel assembly right front passenger side separating inverting underside car chassis.

- San Clemente, CA, USA

Oct 102012

Durango 8-cyl

Going to a friends house & as I turned on her street I noticed her driving past me going the opposite way. We both put on our brakes and came to a complete stop. I put the vehicle in reverse & started to back up a few feet so I would have enough room to turn around. I heard a giant "clung" & thought "what the heck was that.."" I put the car back into drive and turned my wheels to the left to complete the maneuver. The car was in forward motion traveling 1-2 mph for appx. 3 seconds when suddenly the nose dipped down & tilted to the left. This brought the vehicle to an instant & abrupt stop. I looked over at my friend & she shrugged her shoulders like "what's going on"" I tried again to go forward but the car wouldn't move. My friend started honked her horn at me- put her hand up indicating "stop" & was shaking her head no no no... I put the car in park & got out to take a look. The right front wheel was normal but the one on the driver's side was completely sideways sitting at an appx. 45 degree angle. (instead of @12 it was like 8 O'clock)the left front "nose" of the vehicle was almost sitting on the ground. It was clear the vehicle could not be driven. Called for a tow truck. When it got there, the tow truck driver said that he has been towing for many years & he had never seen this happen- nor should it have ever happened. He expressed concern stating that had I been traveling at a high rate of speed (I.e., on the freeway) the vehicle would have undoubtedly flipped & rolled and I probably wouldn't be standing there talking to him... it took him quite some time to figure out how to pull the car up onto the car carrier (using the wench) without the wheel snapping off. He ended up using a sledge hammer & wedge to pound this "pizza pan" looking thing under the tire to slide on. It resembled one of those casters you place under the legs to move furniture on.

- Concord, CA, USA

Feb 012013

I was driving down the road with 2 of my kids.. I started to smell antifreeze going into my car, all of a sudden there was smoke bursting out of my car. We replaced the thermostat 3 different times with in 3 months, the radiator house burst. And no lights came on.. the oil pressure also dropped. Took it to shop to have it fixed, cracked head gaskets and blown motor, now we are with out a car.... sad because I will never buy another Dodge. We were also never notifies about the recall about the ball joints and paid cash for them to be replaced.

- Highland , MI, USA

Dec 122012

The contact owns a 2001 Dodge Durango. The contact stated that the front passenger's side tire was becoming prematurely worn due to defective tie rods. The vehicle was taken to a mechanic, who inspected the vehicle and advised that there was excessive wear in the upper and lower ball joints that had separated from the tie rod. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the issue, who stated there was a recall for the failure but the contact's the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 04V596000 (suspension). The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 124,127. Updated 3/13/13

- Oakdale, PA, USA

Nov 112011

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

Upper ball joints clunking noise over every bump.

- Twin Lakes, WI, USA

Mar 192007

The contact owns a 2001 Dodge Durango. An independent mechanic informed the contact that the upper ball joints and swing arms failed and needed to be replaced. The dealer replaced the upper ball joints according to NHTSA campaign id number 04V596000 (suspension:front:control arm:upper ball joint); however, it was discovered that the lower ball joints were also faulty. The failure mileage was 90,000 and current mileage was 130,000.

- Belmore, NY, USA

Jan 222008

My car was squeaking for a couple of weeks and then the wheel fell off and the repair shop had to fix the ball joint and said I needed the other side done too. 2 weeks later I had the other side fixed.

- Newark, DE, USA

May 272006

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

In the early morning hours of 5/27 the right front lower wheel bearing of my 2001 Dodge Durango suddenly separated without warning causing the wheel to come loose from the vehicle. The caused the Durango to veer to the right and crash into two parked cars. The wheel, axle, bearing, rack and pinion and associated parts are being replaced. Old part will be saved.

- Oakland, CA, USA

Sep 012000

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

I have been with this vehicle in the shop every time you turn around. Currently we were driving down the road and smoke came from the vents. It was a fire which they are still trying to find where the short is. Also the convertor for the air conditioner is bad and had to be replaced. Because of the short the battery was replaced two times because of the burning it up, the spring broke when I hit a bump and my daughters neck was wrenched. Every other day the vehicle won't start, the locks won't work after having them redone by clio Chrysler, the windows won't go up and down, the car has a bad steering rack which we reported to you quite some time ago (2 different dealerships evaluated and reported this), the ball joints were bad, the car creaks currently underneath as though it is going to fall in to pieces. The alternator had to be replaced, the sensors all were going bad at different times, so every other day the car won't run. The one cost us a mint in gasoline because the car would just drink the gas and shoot out black smoke. This is a 2000 vehicle from problems dating from day one of purchase. The vehicle.

- Clio, MI, USA

Sep 012004

The vehicle rear differential was replaced at 60000 miles because it made noise. While the rear differential was being replaced the dealer informed the consumer that both the upper and lower ball joints were bad. The consuemr requested reimbursement for the ball joints since they were recalled.

- Renton, WA, USA

Jan 012004

Durango 8-cyl

Complaint received via E-mail. My wife was driving when she heard a bizarre noise coming from the front wheel of the truck. She immediately started driving towards the dealership, but the wheel for unknown reason broke at the hub and separated from the truck, causing her to skid while making a left turn in the intersection. Fortunately, my wife and children were not injured.

- Trabuco, CA, USA

Apr 162004

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

Creaking, clicking noisy front end since 4/2004. Repaired on 4/16/2004 at flemington Dodge car & truck country. It is now 10/9/2004 and the same noises are starting again, very noisy. I am taking it back to the dealer again but this needs to be resolved with an appropriate final resolution. It costs me $151.90 to fix this each time and a car rental is required. Also, it has only been 3.5 months since the last time it was repaired for the same problem.

- Hockessin, DE, USA

Oct 012003

Problems with lower ball joints, shocks, lower control arms, etc. The front-end began to fail. The lower ball joints had degraded. The vehicle had to go back in for repairs due to the noise in the front-end, the repair shop assumed that the shocks were bad and replaced them which did not correct the noise. The lower control arms had to be replaced. The vehicle continued to experience problems. The consumer was informed that the upper control arms had to be replaced as well as the right side hub bearing. The window's plastic casing inside of the window completely broke in two pieces. The plastic was brittle. The consumer requested reimbursement for all the expenses incurred. The consumer also experienced unspecified problems with his 2000 Dodge Durango.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Feb 052004

Durango 4WD

I have a 2001 Dodge Durango. After seeing a report on the ball joints on tv I took my vehicle in to be checked. Good thing I did because the right ball joint was about to break and had to be replaced. The left ball joint has some wear but was not replaced at this time. There is a definite problem and it needs to be addressed.

- Elizabeth, CO, USA

Aug 232002

Durango 8-cyl

While driving at 40 mph, the consumer heard a clanking sound coming from the front end. The vehicle has been to the dealer three times for this problem. The consumer felt that the ball joints wore out. The dealer examined the vehicle, but could not diagnose what was causing the noise. The engine light had come on, the vacuum hose leaked, and there was a knocking noise in the rear compartment. It was later found that the rear door latch rattled due to internal damage.

- Lubbock, TX, USA

Mar 012004

When turning either direction the vehicle's front end produces a knocking noise. The cause has yet to be determined. Please provide additional information.

- Richmond, TX, USA