8.0

2002 Dodge Durango engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Dodge Durango:

2002 Dodge Durango Owner Comments

Nov 112010

Durango SLT 4.7L

this is the first time it happened have had an on going problem and no one can fix it.

- , St Petersburg, FL, USA

Nov 172010

Durango

I own a 2002 dodge durango and the other day I was driving down the street with my baby and the car suddenly stopped while I was turning in the middle of traffic, almost got hit. The steering wheel completely locked up and I ran off the road. A few mins later the car started and I managed to make it home, I thought that it was bad gas. The next day I took my baby to the doc, once we left the clinic the gas gauge showed that I was on empty and it wouldn't start up. I thought that maybe I ran out of gas somehow. While waiting for someone to come get us out of the cold, I finally turned the ignition and it started, the gas hand shot up to half full. The next day the car wouldn't start at all, I looked at the odometer and instead of showing the mileage, it showed "no bus", I called Dodge and they told me that no bus means that I need a new computer system placed in my vehicle. I've researched the problem "no bus" and it shows a series of problems, a fuse problem, a connector or wiring problem, ignition problem, and a parking brake problem. I don't have $2000 for a new computer system and can't afford another vehicle. Any suggestions?

- , Horn Lake, MS, USA

Jun 242010

Durango

While driving it will have momentary surges where the dash lights will go out, the radio blanks out and you'll have what feels like someone hitting the brakes real hard and then stepping off. Haven't experienced car completely dying yet but been close a couple of times. No consistency on when, how, or where it happens - completely random. It's been in 4 times to check and so far nothing. All wiring has been tracked, etc. They tried to tell me it was the after market alarm (which has been installed for 3+ years) was causing the problem so the last time it was in I had them unhool the alarm. Started happening again yesterday. Other thing that seems to be pattern is I take it in, it's ok for a few days and then after about a week the whole thing starts over again.

- , Eugene, OR, USA

Apr 142010

Durango SLT 5.8L V8

my truck i love but lately i have had massive problems with it dying. it does not give any codes out what so ever . when it dies it restarts with no problem my gauges to go haywire for a minute till i turn it off then restart the truck it has only gotten worse cause now it chuggs also it dies all the time and it restarts please help i love my truck.. i have been told to fix the ignition switch, pick up coil, and the crank shaft position sensor they are all expensive parts but i would like to have some ones imput that has had similar problems and they have an a-1 vehicle again

- , Indianapolis, IN, USA

Mar 152008

Durango SLT V8

waiting to get killed!!! this damn truck is always shutting off while driving down the road. No one knows what the problem is or where to start. parts cost to much to go fishing to fix. Dodge needs to do something!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- , Dinwiddie, VA, USA

Mar 252009

Durango 4.7L

My Dodge Durango 4.7 just started stalling for no reason. When I try to restart it, the fuel pump doesn't even work so of coarse it doesn't start at first. AFTER waiting a while I again try to start it and hear the fuel pump when I turn the key so I know it's going to start and it does for a a few minutes but then stalls again. I replaced the fuel pump because I thought that was the problem but it still stalls. I also replaced the the crank sensor but still no luck. HELP ME ANYONE!!! I will never buy a Dodge again.

- , Winter Haven, FL, USA

Mar 082009

Durango SLT 5.9L

Going down the road at 70 and it started missing then completely quit. A few minutes later started up again thought it was bad gas but so far the dealer in Alamogordo NM (Jack Key) can't figure the problem. Looks like it could be the PCM from the feedback I've been reading here. Do NOT buy a Durango this truck has been one problem after another since I bought it new with numerous recalls new electric fan, new switches for the windows, transmission problems and now a engine management problem of some kind. Oh, also a rear diff problem which cost 1900 to fix. All started after it was just paid off, what a peice of crap.............The dealer and his staff are idiots and don't have a much of a reputation in the little town of Alamogordo or Las Cruces NM

- , Alamogordo, NM, USA

Feb 082009

Durango 4.7L

I thought it was transmission, family friend said it would not move if that was the case, so he said it looked as if the power steering pump was going bad, because when i would right turn tight the truck would hesitate or turn off, like it was not getting something please help with suggestions.

- , Morrisville, NC, USA