CarComplaints.com Notes: The second generation Durango was introduced in 2004 and instantly came under fire for, well, catching on fire.

The problems didn't stop there, however. Owners of the recalled vehicles complained about being treated unfairly and given take-it-or-leave-it low ball settlement offers. "They offered me $2000 under NADA retail as a settlement," said one owner, "and have been rude and hostile to deal with." Nothing says awesome service like treating your customers rudely after their cars have caught on fire.

Have we mentioned all the reports of complete engine failure due to oil sludge?

2004 Dodge Durango engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Dodge Durango:

2004 Dodge Durango Owner Comments (Page 15 of 15)

May 212012

Durango

Paid extra to get the 5.7 hemi that is supposed to last forever right, well now 3500 later we are finally getting a new motor put in it, I believe that Dodge should be held responsible for this issue. Went out to start it one morning and sounded like a gun shot, shot a rod clean through the oil pan, but worst part is it was still running, still will run, just sounds horrible. Really think we should be reimbursed for the new engine.

- Newport, AR, USA

Sep 192012

Durango 8-cyl

We were driving the car and suddenly it started making this loud noise under the hood and shook. I pulled over and turned off the car. I checked to see if the oil was ok and it was. There wasn't any leaking fluids. The vehicle was towed to our home and sits in the drive. Any attempt to start it causes violent shaking loud noise. It struggles to idle and dies.

- New Braunfels, TX, USA

Sep 092012

Durango 8-cyl

Auto drove properly previous day, started the engine at 6pm and it sounded like rocks in the engine. A puddle of oil was visible underneath the parked SUV. Car has been properly cared for, no warning lights on the dashboard ie: Oil, engine light - just loud clanking and not drivable. Edmunds and other auto information complaints are exactly like ours. This issue has been fixed in the 05 models but not in the 04. It rained a little earlier in the day and this video shows what is transpiring in the 04 models: Hydrolock= broken rods www.youtube.com/watch?V=I_thrvtmlx4 Chrysler needs to answer the hundreds of complaints that are documented. We cannot afford a new family car. Thank you for your time and I hope that you help us find a solution and hold them accountable.

- Homer City, PA, USA

Jul 032012

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

I pulled into the middle of an intersection at taylor road and sr 256 in reynoldsburg, oh and what sounded like an explosion was a rod that shot through the oil pan into the side of the engine block causing the car to stop moving while in traffic.

- Reynoldsburg, OH, USA

Nov 302009

Durango

My 2004 Dodge Durango has stalled on me 6 times now without 'any warning', it simply shuts off and I have no control over the vehicle. The first two times it happened, we dismissed as some weird 'fluke', as the two times were about a year apart, so we never thought much about it. When it happened for the third time we realized something was most definitely wrong. We were shocked to see how many people were having the same problem, when we began to research the problem on line. Right after it happened the 3rd time, we took it in to our local mechanic; who indicated that it might be part of a faulty cluster problem that had been recalled. They replaced the cluster, and I felt so much better and safer. Approximately 4 months later, it happened again! I sent an email to the service department of the dealership to tell them what I experienced, after several unanswered emails and 4 months later, I decided that I needed to go in person. Just this weekend, before I went; it happened again as I was entering the freeway. I am scared to death to drive this Durango anywhere but on the side streets now. I had a child in my car when this occurred this past weekend, and they were very scared. Each time it has occurred has been at a slow rate of speed and always making a right turn. It is extremely frightening to lose complete control of your vehicle, and it is only matter of time before someone is going to die or cause a horrible accident when this shut down occurs. Why is Chrysler/Dodge not being made to address this problem? I was shocked to see still more complaints about this problem, the most recent was June 12, 2012 however these concerns are dating back to 2005! what needs to happen before this situation can be addressed and dealt with appropriately. This is not a small problem, this is a problem with potentially life threatening consequences, and no one is doing anything about it.

- Yucca Valley, CA, USA

Jun 152012

Durango

The contact owns a 2004 Dodge Durango. The contact stated that the vehicle emitted a loud banging noise upon start up. An independent mechanic examined the vehicle and advised that an engine rod was fractured. The vehicle was not taken to have the failure diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 123,000.

- Florissant, MO, USA

Jun 082012

Durango

The contact owns a 2004 Dodge Durango. The contact stated that while attempting to start the vehicle, the vehicle emitted a loud noise and failed to start. The contact also stated that the engine was destroyed because water came down the windshield and entered the engine. The water was able to reach the engine because the gaskets on the intake manifold were defective. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, who stated that a hydro-lock occurred when the engine was started and water was sucked in. The VIN was unavailable. The vehicle was not able to be driven. The failure and current mileages were 90,000.

- Pickens, SC, USA

Mar 152011

Durango

My 2004 Durango limited equipped with the hemi 5.7 liter engine developed a ticking sound and and failed while merging onto a highway fortunately I was able to avoid a accident. I later found out that this a frequent problem that occurs with the 5.7 hemi engine in this model year, how come nothing has been done to rectify this. The engine is a costly repair that Chrysler doesn't want to acknowledge.

- Secaucus, NJ, USA

May 082012

Durango

I was approx 1/10 of a mile down our local road when I heard a sudden explosion under the car. It sounded as if the tire blew. I immediately started pulling over but I continued to hear a rumble from the car. Upon inspection, I noticed there was oil running down the front passenger tire. The mechanic has confirmed a thrown rod through the engine block. No previous warnings of issues with the 122,000 mile engine. Car has been regularly maintained (but not at a Dodge dealer). Now I'm faced with a $6,000 bill to replace an engine that should have lasted another 100,000 miles. As I researched this on the internet I found that this has happened to numerous other owners of this model engine (5.7 L hemi 2004 Dodge Durango limited). No recall has been made on this engine although it is evident that this is a common, costly, dangerous manufacturing defect with their engine.

- Sanford, NC, USA