CarComplaints.com Notes: The second generation Durango was introduced in 2004 and instantly came under fire for, well, catching on fire.

The problems didn't stop there, however. Owners of the recalled vehicles complained about being treated unfairly and given take-it-or-leave-it low ball settlement offers. "They offered me $2000 under NADA retail as a settlement," said one owner, "and have been rude and hostile to deal with." Nothing says awesome service like treating your customers rudely after their cars have caught on fire.

Have we mentioned all the reports of complete engine failure due to oil sludge?

2004 Dodge Durango engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Dodge Durango:

2004 Dodge Durango Owner Comments (Page 6 of 15)

Apr 142009

Durango 8-cyl

My truck all of a sudden stop working with no warning. It only has 119,000 miles on it and it wont start. I would like to know if its apart of the recall.

- Benton Harbor, MI, USA

Jul 082014

Durango 8-cyl

Hemi 5.7 engine failure drove vehicle on Monday 7/7/2014), park vehicle overnight, went to start the vehicle on Tuesday (7/8/2014) vehicle would not start. Will not turn over, mechanic indicates the vehicle will require a new engine, approximate replacement cost is $4,500 - $4,600.

- St. Clair, MI, USA

May 142014

Durango 8-cyl

I changed the oil in my Durango on May 3 2014. The SUV then sat in the driveway for two weeks, during which it rained almost every day. I went to start the SUV it started fine then I heard a knock then a loud tapping. The engine has sinced locked up and is a paper weight now. This SUV was a daily driver and the two weeks was the longest that it has ever sat without being driven. Until this issue I've had no problem with this SUV. I've since read hundreds of similar cases on this model SUV. What recourse do we have because I'm still making car payments.

- North Little Rock, AR, USA

Jun 202014

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

Driving to a vacation destination, on the highway at around 65mph. Engine started to shake very badly and make a clacking noise. I thought at first it may be a flat, but the vehicle did not lose control. I made it to the side of the road. I was able to get towed back to my local shop who advised the engine was not repairable. I searched for this issue and found www.carcomplaints.com/Dodge/Durango/2004/engine/engine_failure.shtml it seems this is a known issue and Dodge has failed to correct it.

- Barrington, NH, USA

Jun 302014

Durango 8-cyl

Exited from freeway, car stated to shake. Took it to a local Dodge dealership in bridgton Maine. They have informed me there is a hole in the engine block and cannot be repaired. Have checked the web for any similar issues. Found 100 of complaints for low mileage 2004 Dodge Durangos with the same issue. Apparently water enters the engine from the outside and rusts a hole in the iron block, thus leaking oil. www.carcomplaints.com/Dodge/Durango/2004/engine/engine_failure.shtml when these engines seize on a highway result will be deadly. They should be recalled.

- North Reading, MA, USA

Jun 102014

Durango 8-cyl

Engine blown!!!! sent to machine shop had it rebuilt lasted 4 months !!! 6500,00 out of my pocket I bought the car for 26,000 cash in 2004. Now I don't have a transportation.I run a fleet maintenance shop and service the truck regularly. Chrysler is doing nothing about it no recall!!! vehicle is at my shop don't want to do nothing with it cause with my luck if I junk it they will come out with a recall : (. pissedcause all I read about is 5.7 hemi problems!! they got there money!!!

- Staten Island , NY, USA

Jun 042014

Durango 8-cyl

While my wife was starting the Dodge Durango this afternoon, a big clunking noise sounded and it continued on as if someone was throwing rocks underneath my engine. Turns out that a rod had been broken inside my engine. After looking for a new engine on the internet, I am finding out that there are several complaints about this happening to a lot of other people. Why is this not being investigated? I am now part of a long list of dissatisfied customer. I will never buy Dodge again and will recommend to anyone else to stay away.

- North Platte, NE, USA

May 012014

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Dodge Durango. The contact stated that the windshield cowl covering was defective and the seal was replaced; however, water was able to penetrate into the engine which required it to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure and current mileage were 17,000. Updated 4/30/15 updated 05/05/15

- New Orleans , LA, USA

May 182014

Durango 8-cyl

Apparently this is a problem that Dodge has been aware of since 2004. The design of the vehicle allows rain water to be directed down the front windshield and into the engine compartment where it is then sucked through the intake manifold causing the pistons to hydro-lock. In turn the piston rods bend and/or break causing the engine to blow up. This happened to my vehicle when I started it on May 18, 2014. There were pieces of my engine block on the driveway. Thankfully I wasn't driving at the time or I could have had a serious accident.

- Brentwood, NH, USA

May 182014

Durango

The contact owns a 2004 Dodge Durango. When the contact started the vehicle, the engine stalled. The dealer stated that the two engine rods fractured due to hydrolock. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was 144,000.

- Brentwood, NH, USA

Oct 212013

Durango

I had driven my vehicle on Saturday, hauling a load of hay, without incident, then parked the car. Monday morning I went out to drive kids to school, the engine turned over and started making a loud noise, immediately I turned it off and called a mechanic. I had the vehicle towed to his shop that day, where he found a perfect circle hole in the side about the size of a 50 cent piece. I've since replaced the engine, then the oil pump, and the head gaskets, and the oil pan, now the battery...

- Marion, OH, USA

May 172014

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

Just bought vehicle from a used car dealer in NJ. On drive home to pa, vehicle made a loud rattling noise, debris came out from around truck. Engine turned off in the middle of a busy road. Lots of smoke coming out from under the hood and from the passenger vents. Engine oil poured out of the engine onto the ground. Vehicle had to be towed home. Instrument cluster gauges were within normal readings. No check engine or oil lights on. Vehicle coolant temps in normal range on the gauge. In process of talking with vehicle's place of purchase to find out how to get this engine fixed/replaced.

- Alburtis, PA, USA

May 112014

Durango

The contact owns a 2004 Dodge Durango. The contact stated that while making a right turn at 25 mph, the steering wheel seized and the engine warning light illuminated. The failure occurred on five separate occasions. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage and the current mileage was unknown.

- Fayetteville, NC, USA

May 082014

Durango 8-cyl

5.7L hemi. Started it up at home and clanging started just like that from the engine without any previous warning. Shut it off and checked around and found pieces of the engine block on the ground. Crawled under it and there is a hole in the block just about the oil pan lip.

- Kempner, TX, USA

May 072014

Durango

The contact owns a 2004 Dodge Durango. The contact stated that while driving approximately 35 mph, the engine stalled and the electronic throttle control warning lamp illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer who stated that the engine needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of this failure. The failure and current mileage was 112,000. The VIN was not available.

- Bethalto, IL, USA

Feb 062013

Durango

The contact owns a 2004 Dodge Durango. The contact stated that while driving approximately 55 mph, smoke was seen coming from the front end of the vehicle as the check engine warning light illuminated. The vehicle was towed to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the water pump and the radiator needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The vehicle was repaired on two occasions but the failure recurred. The approximate failure mileage was 150,000 and the current mileage was 162,000.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

May 012014

Durango

Every time I drive in the rain the engine stall and make a abrupt stop. I have numerous service done by the Dodge dealer and many amount of money spent on trying to correct this major problem. In good weather the SUV drive great it's only when it rain when this happens. This a major safety hazard especially when your on a major highway and cars are driving at high speed behind you and your car stop. Is the Dodge company waiting for people to die in order to correct this problem. I'm the original owner of this vehicle and always had the maintenance service done

- Westampton, NJ, USA

Apr 272014

Durango 8-cyl

While driving at approximately 35 mph, the engine produced a loud thud followed by a pronouced tapping noise. Was able guide the vehicle off the road. Vehicle was towed to local garage where the engine was proclaimed "dead" - appears to have thrown a rod. Vehicle was well cared for with dealer oil changes every 3K miles. No indication of a problem prior to this incident. Chrysler / Dodge unwilling to provide any assistance or information.

- Herndon, VA, USA

Apr 182014

Durango 8-cyl

Moisture entered into the cylinders via that air intake manifold due to a water seal design defect in the area of the windshield wiper arms. When the vehicle is parked, rain water coming down the front windshield will flow directly under the cowl and onto the engine block. This water intrusion causes undue stress on the pistons, rods, and crankshaft eventually causing a rod to break and puncture the engine block. If this happens at highway speeds, the results could be deadly. The other known scenario is after the car is parked for a period of time (exposed to rain), the cylinder will fill with water, causing a hydro-lock condition and the vehicle will not start. The engine usually is found to also have a bent or fractured rod at this point. This is a known problem by Dodge / Chrysler and they refuse to do anything about it. See the numerous complaints on edmunds.com blogs and on youtube regarding this topic.

- Edmonds, WA, USA

May 152013

Durango 8-cyl

2004 Dodge Durango limited, 5.7L hemi, purchased on 5/15/13. Extended warranty purchased with vehicle at time of sale. Vehicle has been returned for service five times to date for same root issue. In under one year, only approximately 2600 miles have been driven due to lack of reliability and service related problems. In this case, the root problem is known to the service department and is not unique to this specific vehicle, but rather a known issue with this year, make and model. Chrysler is unable to provide direction or any technical support to assist the service department with solving the issue. It has been clearly acknowledged by the dealership service department, as well as Chrysler directly, that this matter involves a manufacturing defect that has not been corrected and was never issued as a recall. Most recently, I was notified that engine damage had been repaired and the vehicle was ready to be picked up. In the same conversation, however, I was advised that the cause of the damage, being the defect that allows water to enter the engine compartment during heavy rain or car washes, was not rectified. This issue is clearly unresolved and the safety of my family and other motorists could be in jeopardy if catastrophic engine failure were to occur. Chrysler has opted to ignore this frequently reported issue and simply push those who complain away.

- Maple Shade, NJ, USA