Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The second generation Durango was introduced in 2004 and instantly came under fire for, well, catching on fire.

The problems didn't stop there, however. Owners of the recalled vehicles complained about being treated unfairly and given take-it-or-leave-it low ball settlement offers. "They offered me $2000 under NADA retail as a settlement," said one owner, "and have been rude and hostile to deal with." Nothing says awesome service like treating your customers rudely after their cars have caught on fire.

Have we mentioned all the reports of complete engine failure due to oil sludge?

2. replace engine (1 reports)
  3. replace springs (1 reports)
  4. replaced the egr valve (1 reports)
2004 Dodge Durango engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Dodge Durango:

2004 Dodge Durango Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Jan 092008

Durango started "stalling out". I checked the oil - it was fine. Correct level, and looked clean. Replaced the battery (just in case), and had an oil change. Stalling continued. Off and on through numerous months. The "idiot" lite never came on, but I kept checking the oil, because it just didn't seem like a starter, alternator, or battery issue, and I couldn't think what else it would be other than engine failure.

- , Plantation, FL, USA

Mar 082008

Durango SLT V8 Hemi

It started with just a jerking around when I took my foot off the gas to slow down and coast. Then every once in a while it would shut off when I went to slow down. Now it is shutting off at least 3-5 times a day and I only drive 5 miles to work. It has left me sitting in intersections, on busy streets turning in somewhere and in parking lots. Yesterday I was almost rear-ended because it shut off. It is to the point now that I don't get any warning like a jerking. It was only doing when I was going under 30mph but now it is doing on highways with speeds of 70mph. If there is anyone out there that has had this problem and has any idea what it would be please contact me. We have had it to 3 different garages and they all say that every thing is running fine. One of these was a friend of mine and we drove while he had his machine hooked up to our computer and it still said everything was fine even after it shut off.

Please help me.

Very frustrated

- , Reedsville, PA, USA

Aug 122007

Durango SLT 4.7L

while trying to make a u turn to get to a parking spot because the car was overheating the car stalled twice. nearly got hit by other cars because the stalls were so sudden.

- , Irvington, NY, USA

Nov 262007

Durango SLT Limited 5.7L V8

the vehicle just stalled in very heavy traffic and would not start again. It was a very scary situation and I no longer feel safe in this vehicle!

- , Milledgeville, GA, USA

Aug 302007

Durango SLT 4.7L

car stalled in heavy traffic while turning at low rate of speed.

- , Irvington, NY, USA

Jan 292007

Durango 5.7 V8

Engine shut off at all rates of speed without warning I DO NOT FEEL SAFE BEHIND THE WHEEL

- , Egg Harbor Township, NJ, USA