CarComplaints.com Notes: The second generation Durango was introduced in 2004 and instantly came under fire for, well, catching on fire.

The problems didn't stop there, however. Owners of the recalled vehicles complained about being treated unfairly and given take-it-or-leave-it low ball settlement offers. "They offered me $2000 under NADA retail as a settlement," said one owner, "and have been rude and hostile to deal with." Nothing says awesome service like treating your customers rudely after their cars have already caught on fire.

2005 Dodge Durango drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Dodge Durango:

2005 Dodge Durango Owner Comments (Page 3 of 6)

Jan 162015

Durango 8-cyl

My 2005 Dodge Durango will go into 4 wheel low with out warning and will shift into 4 wheel lock with out warning there is something goin on with the 2005 Dodge Durango I have read many forums with 500 people saying the same thing. Please make Dodge recall this as it is going to result in fatalities. A lot of people are changing the transfer case, transfer case motor and electrical and it keeps doing the same thing to make these vehicles unreliable and can cause death to my family and others as well please make Dodge recall the 4 wheel drive. Thank you

- Knoxville, TN, USA

Jan 052015

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

Transfer case motor engages while driving going from AWD to four wheel lo. This can potentially cause a very bad accident. 4wlo light flickers and transfer case motor engages even with vehicle shut off.

- Webster, NY, USA

Dec 242014

Durango

Was driving on the freeway. The service 4WD light started flashing, and the transmission shifted into 4lo by itself. All efforts to shift back out of 4lo failed. Had the vehicle towed. Service shop diagnosed transfer case as the problem, and replaced it. The problem persists. Vehicle continues to shift into 4lo by itself which impacts the ability to turn the vehicle.

- Orange, CA, USA

Sep 012014

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

While driving on the freeway, I noticed that my 4 lo warning light was flashing on my instrument panel. Once I came to a safe stop, I could hear what sounded like my 4 wheel drive actively trying to engage itself by making a clanking noise. Several days later, it did the same thing, only this time, it succeeded in shifting itself into 4 wheel drive but only for a brief period. Now it does this on a daily basis and will even do this in my garage with the keys out of the ignition. It will also do this when I use the key fob to unlock my doors. Please look into this as there are several other Durango owners who are experiencing the same issue. My worry is that it will find a way to shift itself into 4 lo while either my wife or myself are driving down the freeway. If that happens, it could be catastrophic. This is something that Dodge needs to recall to prevent any injuries or deaths. People have attempted to replace the transfer case, replace wiring, and several other fix attempts but to no avail. As a 16-year career firefighter, I am pleading with you to look into this.

- Moxee, WA, USA

Dec 242014

Durango

My 2005 Dodge Durango keeps locking up when I'm turning. When the vehicle is on or off it will start flashing 4lo. The vehicle shifts into lock all on it's own, then the svc 4WD light comes on. After a few minutes the light will go off and the transfer case will shift back to AWD. Sometimes when the vehicle is turned off you can hear the transfer shift back and forth from AWD to 4 lock.

- Davie, FL, USA

Nov 032014

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

My 2005 Dodge Durango switched from AWD to 4X4 while I was driving. Which almost made me loose control of the vehicle with family in the car, this was very scary and dangerous, thank god we weren't on the highway. Svc 4WD light is coming on, 4loc and 4lo flash and transfer case motor clicks while driving or just idling, sometimes clicks when I unlock the doors. Researched issue on the net and found several forums and discovered that this is happening to a lot of people, this needs to become a recall fast before someone gets hurt or worse. I currently pulled plug on transfer case motor and have it locked in AWD drive, hope this holds, but I paid for 4 wheel drive as did many other people. From what I've read this has been going on for years. Dodge needs to make this right. Thank you.

- Niantic, CT, USA

Dec 082014

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Durango. While driving approximately 35 mph, the four wheel drive indicator light switch illuminated and there was an abnormal noise coming from the vehicle. The failure occurred on several occasions. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 133,000. Updated 2/24/15 the dealer made repairs to the transfer case. However, he continued to experience problems. Updated 03/02/15

- Pinconning, MI, USA

Nov 012014

• 1,800,083 miles
As I went to work today, I noticed my truck was kicking when accelerating down the street. As I would come up to a complete stop, the truck would still keep on going. I have been hearing clicking when I open up the driver door, and on occasion on my daily commute to work, I was noticing the 4lo light blink. Well, today, I drove to work, and on the interstate, the 4lo light came on without blinking. A solid color. I started to see a lot of white smoke come from under the hood of the car, and from the bottom of the car as well. I pulled over to look at the vehicle and noticed that the truck was leaking all the tranny fluid. I was blocks from work, when I went back into the Durango and noticed that the extreme heat light had turned on in the dashboard. I waited about 30 minutes until I turned my truck back on, and begin to drive to work. It was still kicking and now it felt like the tranny was slipping. I finally made it to work. The truck was engulfed in smoke. I've noticed that when the 4lo lights start blinking, I have a hard time trying to turn the wheels left or right, and my wheels lock. This should be a transfer case recall... its a real big safety issue.

- Socorro, TX, USA

Jan 012014

Durango

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Durango. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 65 mph, the four wheel drive activated independently and the vehicle independently shifted between gears. The failure occurred on numerous occasions. The contact also stated that the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was able to restart. In addition, the A/C independently operated, the headlights and the instrument panel lights failed intermittently. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 92,000.

- Muncie, IN, USA

Aug 202014

Durango

My vehicle as well as many others that I've read have been having issues with the 4WD, this is a problem that should have a recall as to how many individuals have the same problems. Svc 4WD light comes on and then back off 4 lo light flashes when car is more so off/ but occasionally when on, makes a clicking noise, which what I could find and from others, is the transfer case changing occasionally when in reverse/drive the car either locks or acts as if the rear wheels are locked I do know there is no recall for these issues, but if you were to take the time to check into this, I feel you would also agree with everyone that this is a manufacturing/malfunction in possible the transfer case. I'm sure it doesn't matter, but I am a single mother of 3 and yes I know there are so many more just like me, but I cant afford to have take my vehicle in to be fixed especially when it should be a recall issue! please please look into this.

- Scottsbluff , NE, USA

Sep 192014

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

Problem started with "srv 4 wd" light on dash going on and going off at random while driving. Soon after this initial problem, with vehicle parked and ignition off,4 wheel drive attempts to engage and disengage. The engage/disengage process may occur 2 to 6 times. The sound of this engagement/disengagement is clearly audible. On one occasion the vehicle actually engaged four wheel drive but there was no light on the dash indicating the vehicle was in 4 wheel drive. After driving the vehicle approximately.5 miles, 4 wheel drive disengaged with a very loud shift noise. At this same time, the "4 lo" display light on the dash began to flicker. It now blinks as if the vehicle is attempting to engage "4 lo" while the vehicle is in motion and the selector set to all wheel drive. I am still able to engage and disengage four wheel drive using the selector switch on the dash manually as is the case with normal 4 wheel drive operation for this vehicle. At this point the vehicle has not switched from AWD to 4 wd while in motion at highway speed. I am aware however this is a situation which can occur during vehicle operation while experiencing these 4 wheel drive malfunctions.

- Cary, NC, USA

Jan 012014

Durango

The central timer module (ctm) or body computer as some call it went bad causing the 4 wheel drive to engage or disengage without warning. When the 4 wheel drive engages while driving it makes it nearly impossible to make tight turns and at low speeds you are unable to turn at all. The part also causes the wipers to randomly engage, the door locks to randomly engage or disengage, and more.

- Willmar, MN, USA

Aug 252014

Durango

My 2005 Dodge Durango shifts back and forth between 4WD and AWD randomly. The 4WD light will come on and the vehicle shifts into lock without warning, making driving difficult and backups jumpy and jerky. It will shift back and run properly, but does not stay functioning long. There is a 'drag' feeling to the vehicle when it slips into 4WD. This has made driving the Durango a concern and nearly tripled the amount of gas used for similar mileage. I am concerned that this could be a real safety issue. It goes into 4WD-lo and the tires lock up. If this were to happen at 70 mph, this could cause a spin out. When stopped at a light waiting to turn left the car occasionally 'shifts' without notice and then it is difficult to make the turn. When expecting the car to move properly on a busy road, this ''sluggish' response is a serious problem. Pulling out with plenty of time to turn before the light changes isn't a guarantee that you will actually make the turn before the light turns red. I want to be able to trust my vehicle, which I used to be able to do. I have read numerous accounts online about this same problem occurring for other 2005 Durango owners. Clearly, this is not an isolated incident unique to my vehicle. I have also seen reports that people having this same issue are also having remote door lock issues, which makes me wonder if there is also an electrical issue with the vehicle.

- Clinton Township, MI, USA

Sep 212014

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

The car shift to 4lo by itself.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Aug 012014

Durango

Vehicle goes in and out of 4 wheel drive on its own. Clicking noise under vehicle when using key fob to lock and unlock vehicle. Does not always occur. Is in 4 wheel drive more than not these days.

- Kenner, LA, USA

Aug 162014

Durango 8-cyl

Engine will without warning lurch forward. It will also completely shut down making steering and braking extremely difficult. This vehicle had no codes showing and repair shop can't replicate the problem this lurching of the vehicle has occurred almost daily. And has completely shut down twice. I drive with two kids in the car and this is extremely dangerous. Their are several complaints with the exact same problem.

- Temecula, CA, USA

Aug 292014

Durango

My 2005 Dodge Durango has an issue with the transfer case. When using the key fob to unlock the doors, the transfer case will switch from AWD to 4WD hi on its on. Also while driving the service 4WD light will appear and it will switch to 4WD hi and if going around a turn. My wheels have locked up causing me to slide and almost hitting another vehicles. I believe this is unsafe and have been many complaints. How many more of these have to happen and ends up taking someones life. I would like to see this issue resolved.

- Martinsburg , WV, USA

Mar 272014

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

This vehicle clicks into 4 wheel drive randomly and won't come out. The vehicle was being driven at 55mph when it kicked out of gear and quit. It sounded as if the transfer case dropped out of the vehicle and driver felt as if going to go through the front windshield. The 4X4 kicks in and out, and won't steer. Driving is difficult and vehicle barely moves. When called Chrysler they don't know what it is and suggest trying multiple different things but nothing is guaranteed, and will cost thousands of dollars to fix more than the cost of the vehicle. While vehicle is not turned on but key is in hand you can hear the actuating motor clicking in and out. Very difficult to drive and when vehicle stalls won't start back up. A safety hazard on the highway, and apparently there are numerous complaints of the same kind. This needs to be addressed by Chrysler.

- Manlius, NY, USA

Aug 012014

Durango 8-cyl

Having 3 major issues that can be life threatening..1) driving at any speed sometimes vehicle will completely shut off leaving me on the highway at 60mph no power steering 2) filling gas tank up no matter if I go slow will always spit lots of gas back out of the neck 3) 4X4 is engaging by itself. I can park it turn motor off and you can hear it going into 4X4 without me being in the vehicle or touching the 4X4 knob. This has cause me issue steering when it decides to go into 4X4 mode by itself. I need to know if their is current complaints about the above issues and how can I get them fix without me paying.

- Brunswick, MD, USA

Jun 042012

Durango 8-cyl

When I'm driving in traffic (approx 30-45 mph) or stopped at a light, my vehicle randomly shuts off. There's no indication this will happen. No lights flash or anything. The truck simply stops. I take it to mechanics and they say they can't identify the problem--but they recognize there's a problem. I'm fearful for the safety of my family in the vehicle and/or anyone we encounter when this happens. It's nearly impossible to steer the vehicle out of traffic, and the steering locks up as well. I've had the cooling system flushed, transmission replaced to no avail. Is there a recall on this thing?! there sure should be! I'm sure someone has died by now due to this malfunction.

- Columbia, SC, USA