2006 Dodge Durango electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Dodge Durango:

2006 Dodge Durango Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Nov 012013

Durango 8-cyl

Transmission shifts by itself into 4WD. This happens while driving, and when the car is sitting unattended, with the ignition off. The transfer case makes an audible noise, then the wheels become very hard to turn while driving. This could easily result in a loss of control of the vehicle.

- Prescott Valley, AZ, USA

Nov 272012

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Durango. The contact stated that the instrument panel lighting would flash intermittently. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis where the technician stated that the front control module would need to be replaced. Additionally, the contact stated that while driving approximately 10 mph when the RPM reading increased and the vehicle became hesitant upon acceleration. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 100,000.

- Rosedale, MD, USA

Jan 012012

Durango 8-cyl

When fueling up gasoline will shoot out all over the ground & vehicle. I now have rust starting. There are many others that have this problem too so why is there not a recall" I would think the epa would make Dodge make this a mandatory recall. Luckily when I had the vehicle in at the dealership for all the electrical issues that they will not acknowledge is their responsibility to fix; the dealer did say he could order the part to fix that. It would be covered at no cost to me. Then why wasn't it recalled if they knew about this problem? interesting"! I am thinking that I may never buy a Dodge again. I am sure the electrical issues are their responsibility too. Please help!

- Robinson, KS, USA

Aug 132013

Durango 8-cyl

This is the third time this has happened while I was driving. The air bag lights will come on & off while driving. (both the passenger & driver sides lights seemed to alternate.) this time also the 4 wheel lock light blinked on & off during the 50 mile trip going 70 mph. When I turned on my wipers there was a chime/ding. Once when I rolled down the window the wipers came one. Another trip two months ago when the airbag light was acting up & I turned on my blinker to change lanes the wipers came on. I also just realized that the door locks no longer unlock when I turn the vehicle off. I have to manually do it now. Also it used to automatically lock the doors when I put the vehicle in drive and that has been acting up periodically. The icing on the cake was yesterday when I went to pull into a parking spot and the vehicle completely shut off and all the warning lights on the dash illuminated, I just took it to briggs Dodge in topeka, ks and they cannot duplicate these issues and show nothing when they hooked it up. They told me that Dodge has a "star case" on file and that states that drivers are causing these problems to occur. (I totally disagree& think this is a cop out) they are telling me I generate too much static electricity! I find this very hard to believe. I am very discouraged and frustrated. I guess when someone is killed in an accident from one of these failing, then maybe they will own up to the problems and fix them.

- Robinson, KS, USA

Jul 192013

Durango 8-cyl

I have an 06 Durango with out the chip key, I stick my key into the ignition to start it but it won't turn as if it's the wrong key or the steering wheel lock is enabled. It happened more twice a day over the last week it happens after every third time I turn on my truck but with a little giggling of the key and steering wheel it went. Then last night at 6:30am I stop by moms house to get me a coffee on my way home.. get back to my truck and the key just wouldn't turn my ignition... nothing worked, giggle the key or reefing on the steering wheel... finally after a little over an hour of trying I finally managed to turn the ignition after jamming the key in there pretty hard a few times... anyways I managed to get home since I was still bout half hour away at the time..

- Stockton, CA, USA

Nov 102012

Durango 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Durango. The contact stated that the engine warning light illuminated. The instrument panel lighting also illuminated while the engine was shut off and the vehicle was unoccupied. The fuel and temperature gauge reading began fluctuating, the horn began to sound independently and the exterior lighting illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis. The technician reset the check engine light but the light continued to illuminate. The technician stated that the power train module would have to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired but the failure continued after the replacement of the part. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 72,000.

- Saugus, MA, USA

Jun 012013

Durango 8-cyl

The dash board lights/ warning lights go off and on, and the odometer and RPM gauges bounce from zero to like 5000 RPM while driving. The ac and radio and dvd and navigation all shut off and on also while driving. I took it to crown motors on June 21 and had a diagnostic tests ran and nothing came up all was fine. They told me to bring it back in when it did it and to leave it run when I go inside to let them know. I took back down there on June 24 as it was doing it all again. They immediately took it back to the shop and stated you definitely have something wrong. They told after an hour that they could only get the reading up to the ECM and anything after that it is not showing up that it is dead. They called the lead engineer at Dodge to try and find a solution. I talked to them on June 25 and still no answer. They told me they had to put $10 in gas and was going to charge that to me as they lost the signal to diagnostic sue to turning the vehicle off. They drove around four different times to try and reestablish the problem and has not happened. I called them today June 27,2013 and told I could come and pick up the vehicle as they can not get the vehicle to do the problems again to reestablish the connections. They also said if it happens again to just bring it back over so they can reestablish the connection for the problems. I know that there has been recalls for the electrical system on these vehicles. They dealer told they were all closed out and my vehicle was not one of them. Still have not resolve the problems with my 2006 Durango. I do not feel comfortable driving my family around in it due to a possible fire like some have had or the engine shutting off going down the highway.

- Bonne Terre, MO, USA

May 292013

My vehicle says svc 4WD then goes into 4lo & 4lock without me touching it. It locks up & switches on its own while im driving. Switches into 4WD while it is parked & the truck is off. When U use the unlock remote it switches it also. I don't know what is causing this & the mechanic says no codes show up even when the svc 4WD light is on.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Dec 212012

As I was exiting a highway, my 2006 Dodge Durango suddenly stalled out. The engine light came on after it stalled. I lost control of steering and was unable to brake. I nearly crashed into the car in front of me, and was barely able to turn the steering wheel enough to run into the curb to stop my vehicle! I was not able to re-start it and had to be towed. While waiting for police to arrive, I was nearly rear-ended multiple times. It was towed to a shop and the mechanic was able to start it up with no problem the next morning. He checked everything, and ran all diagnostic tests - all came back showing no problems. There is clearly a problem - and there are man, many, many complaints about it all over the internet. If I had been on the highway when this happened, I could have been in a very serious accident and could have been killed, or killed someone else, since I lost complete control of the vehicle and was unable to steer or brake. Is it going to take a fatality before this is recalled and fixed"????" I am scared to death to drive it now!

- Manchester, NH, USA

Jan 012012

I first noticed a problem when leaving work by simply unlocking my 06 Durango (all wheel drive/ 4 wheel drive) with the key fob the transfer case control motor starts shifting the truck in and out from AWD to 4WD and I haven't even opened the door!! as the weeks pass it does this several more times but what is more unnerving is that as I am driving at hwy speeds, 60 to 70 mph, or any speed really, my "4 wheel low" light on the dash will start to flicker as if it is trying to shift into 4 wheel low un-commanded. After searching several forums I find this to be a common chronic electrical problem with Durangos and a huge safety risk. Please understand that max speed for a 4 wheel drive vehicle that is in 4 wheel low is about 10 to 15 mph, the gear ratio is extremely low and intended for maximum traction when off road. If this vehicle shifts into 4 wheel low at 70 mph all 4 wheels will come to a stop and the driver will most likely loose total control. At that speed this is a dangerous combination. I have read of this happening to Durangos with serious damage and huge expense for the owner. This very scenario happened to a co-workers wife with his kids in their 06 Durango, luckily she was only traveling at about 30 to 35 mph and no accident occurred. Now my key fob wont even open the door, it acts as if its dead or broken. I have to use the key to unlock the truck manually which sets off the alarm every time I unlock the door. The same electrical problem I started with is tied to the 4 wheel drive electrically, another common chronic problem. My local Dodge dealer denies having any knowledge of this problem or a fix and from what I have read Dodge denies it as well. Is it going to take a family's death from one of these vehicles for Dodge to own up to this and recognize they have a very wide spread problem over several years manufacturing!

- Horn Lake, MS, USA

Jun 162012

Durango 8-cyl

We were driving our 2006 Dodge Durango for about 5 minutes when all of a sudden the dash board lights started flashing. My husband was able to veer off the road on a side street and coast down into a parking lot. By this point the car was completely unresponsive. Smoke started to come out of the vehicle vents on the dashboard. We thought maybe a part broke at first. My husband opened the hood and there was no visible fires and not a lot of smoke. Smoke started coming more and more quickly out of the vents. We got our 3 children out of the car. By this point smoke was billowing out. My husband ran into a building and called for help. The business gave us a fire extinguisher and called the fire department. As my husband ran back to the Durango flames he saw the dashboard start to collapse. Next thing we knew flames were flying up the front window. He used the fire extinguisher on it. The fireman arrived and helped make sure the fire was completely out.

- Longwood, FL, USA

Jul 012011

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

While using my left turn signal, my right blinkers came on. While using my right turn signal, my left blinkers came on. This has happened several times within the past year. More recently, my wipers would work intermittently. Also, sometimes my blinkers don't work at all.

- Pittsford, NY, USA

Jun 012012

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

Right turn work in rear, but not in the front, left side work opposite, head light left work on low, but not on high, right work opposite, fog lights do not work.

- Beloit, WI, USA

Jan 052011

Turn signal switch malfunctions when it is cold and wet out. Will indicate right turn when turning left and vise versa, high beam also malfunctions and will sometimes turn on washer fluid, wiper function also not working right when others fail. Seems to be when it is wet and below freezing temperatures. Similar complaints all over internet.

- Clarion, PA, USA

Dec 222011

Durango 8-cyl

Upon turning into parking lot of local store, car shut down and system locked up. No power steering and no engine light came on. Was able to steer car to parking space, stop and restart vehicle. This is the second occurrence in 2 weeks. Same scenario, going slow in parking lot and vehicle shuts down. Another problem has come up now when after I start the vehicle in the morning, it surges from 1000 RPM to 2000 back and forth for about 10-15 seconds. My questions for the Durango makers is when will their be a total recall on these SUV's?

- Pensacola, FL, USA

Nov 222011

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Durango. The contact stated that the interior lights were inoperative, making it difficult to see any of the instrument panel readings at night. The vehicle was repaired under the recall associated with NHTSA campaign id number 07V092000 (electrical system: Instrument panel), but the failure recurred. The dealer was notified and was in the process of repairing the vehicle at the expense of the contact. The manufacturer was also notified, but denied any assistance with the repairs. The failure mileage was 119,000 and the current mileage was 120,000.

- St. James, NY, USA

Jun 012011

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

2006 Dodge Durango with multifunction switch issues. The windshield wipers work only on a slow intermittent speed. Only the right turn signal works, and will activate when the turn signal lever is pushed to make a left turn (the right signal only will blink). This switch was also replaced in 2008 because of the same problem. There was 40,000 miles on the vehicle at that point. There is now 75,000 miles.

- Blairsville, PA, USA

Jul 222011

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Durango. The contact stated while driving approximately 30 mph down hill the brakes were depressed and smoke emitted from the brakes and smelled as if they were on fire. The contact was forced to drive onto the emergency lane. The check engine and air bag lights began to illuminate intermittently. The contact was concerned that there was no air bag in the vehicle. The brakes were currently making a grinding noise. The vehicle was taken to the dealer repeatedly where they continued to turn the warning lights off; however, the manufacturer was not notified. The dealer took the vehicle to another dealership for diagnostic testing and advised the contact that the catalytic converter failed and she would be responsible for half of the repair cost. The failures occurred immediately after she purchased the vehicle. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 2 and the current mileage was 91,000.

- Mt Washington, WA, USA

May 282011

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

We have a 2006 Dodge Durango and we have several issues with it. The instrument cluster stopped working along with the radio, A/C, wipers, windows and everything in the interior. The instrument cluster was fixed during a recall. We called Chrysler and they told us that it was fixed once for the recall and they would not replace it again. The dealership want to replace the cluster again to fix the issue, but I'm concerned about it happening again while my wife and children are on the road again with no lights!!!!

- Bunnlevel, NC, USA

May 282011

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

We have a 2006 Dodge Durango. When you turn the key to the on position the vehicle would start by itself without going to the start position. This happens every time you do this. The dealership replace the ignition switch which cost us $300.

- Bunnlevle, NC, USA