2006 Dodge Durango fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Dodge Durango:

2006 Dodge Durango Owner Comments (Page 2 of 7)

Nov 022015

Durango

Each time I fill up my gas tank when the pump kicks off gas spills out of the tank onto the ground. Dodge says they are aware of the problem but because my vehicle is listed as "restricted" in their data base they cant tell me exactly what restricted means only that it may have been classified as a total loss at some point. I purchased the vehicle used but had no issues registering it or insuring it in NJ. Dodge says there is a lifetime warranty on this problem but because it is not a recall they refuse to make the repair for me because of my vehicles "restricted" status so I guess if I am refueling and gas spills out and catches the place on fire Dodge wont care I would like to file a complaint this should be a recall and not just a warranty issue there is a significant chance of someone getting severely burned or killed if this spill happens near an ignition source. Please advise me of my next course of action.

- West Milford, NJ, USA

Oct 052010

Durango

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Durango. While refueling the vehicle, fuel ejected out of the tank. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 69,000.

- Phil Campbell, AL, USA

Sep 132015

Durango

As I braked to park the Durango, the engine abruptly stalled. Not sure why it stalled, but I know there was a problem with the 2004-2005 Durangos where the engine would stall during sharp turns while braking.

- Camp Hill, PA, USA

Jul 182015

Durango

When I fill the gas tank, the pump does not automatically shut off and gasoline spews all over the place. I just purchased this car less than a week ago and have had it happen every time I fill it up.

- California, KY, USA

May 212015

Durango

When I took my vehicle in for a recall I was informed that the right manifold studs were broken and the repair was going to cost $765. I took the vehicle into my regular mechanic to determine if I was being informed correctly. He advised that the Chrysler dealer ship did not remove the heat shield to verify that this was actually the issue. The mechanic mentioned he could determine this by looking at the fasteners of the heat shield. The mechanic said that this happens a lot to Chrysler products. He said that is why they did not need to remove the heat shield. When the studs are broken it allow the exhaust system to leak. My question is if this is a regular problem with Chrysler why is there not a recall. I called Chrysler to see what they would do about paying for a repair for a constant issue. They said there has not been many problems of this nature. Can this be investigated by having Chrysler mail out S survey to actually determine if this is a material defect in their studs?

- Cumming, GA, USA

Apr 022012

Durango

This Durango had spewed gas during fill up ever since purchased 11/2006, so I just tried to be careful when filling. April 2012, I had some rust fixed around the rear wheel area on the gas tank side. Did not really think too much about it at the time. 1/29/14 I had an inlet check valve replaced at the dealership due to notification from Chrysler and they said this could be a safety issue. Thought then that this defect is probably what caused my rust issue but I had had that fixed so did not think anything about it....until it started to rust again in the same area. This is a without a doubt caused by the faulty inlet check valve. I believe Chrysler intentionally did not notify their clients until the 100,000 mile rust warranty was up. They will not stand behind the resulting damage from the faulty inlet check valve.

- Dekalb, MO, USA

May 012015

Durango

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Durango. While operating the vehicle, the power train erroneously switched to the 4 wheel drive low position and the traction control and 4 wheel drive sensor lights illuminated. While stuck in the 4 wheel drive position, the vehicle became very difficult to steer and failed to accelerate normally. When refueling the vehicle, fuel would spew out of the filler neck. The cause of the failures was not diagnosed. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 135,000.

- Allenstown, NH, USA

Nov 142013

Durango

When I fill up my gas tank, the gas does not stop flowing when the tank is full. The indicator does not work, therefore gas spills out onto the ground every time I fill up the tank.

- New Orleans, LA, USA

Apr 192015

Durango 8-cyl

I went to fuel up my car, when it reached full, fuel started spitting out of the tank. It has done this on numerous occasions.

- Boyd, TX, USA

Apr 022013

Durango

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Durango. The contact stated that the fuel tank was defective and fuel spilled onto the ground when the fuel tank was filled to capacity. The failure was experienced several times. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 1,000.

- Camas , WA, USA

Jan 022015

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

I am constantly having to watch as I fill my tank on this car, because their is no way of knowing when the gas will spill out onto my car. The constant overflow has effected the paint near the gas tank as well as run under the body of this car. This is an issue which no one wants to address but I hope soon it will be resolved. It is a hazard to the owner and those who are near us when we attempt to fill our car.

- Purcellville, VA, USA

Jan 012015

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

This vehicle had a fuel overflow problem. Chrysler has a lifetime warranty on fixing this. The problem is that the gas that was continuously overflowing on fill-up has caused the vehicle to rust under the gas tank. Chrysler is saying this is not covered. Also on the lift gate under the silver piece above the handle there is rust forming from dripping on each side of this silver piece. I believe this is a manufacture defect, but Chrysler is saying none of this is covered.

- Blackwell , MO, USA

Sep 012013

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

Everytime I fill up or come close to filling up the gas will come shooting out of the tank. It gets all over me, the vehicle and the ground. It can shoot as far as 4 or 5 feet away from the vehicle. I have stopped putting more than 1/2 a tank at a time in it but it is a huge inconvenience to have to stop for gas so much.

- Arlington, TX, USA

Mar 252009

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

When gas tank gets full, gas spills out of the tank all ovdr car and person standing there. You have to fill tank very slowly. Car is rusting below gas cap from all the gas that has spilled there.

- Frisco, TX, USA

Feb 012015

Durango

Every time I get gas the pump clicks off as full, then a bunch of gas comes gushing out and gets all over the car/ground/me. It has been happening for several years and it is not only a fire hazard, but also an environmental hazard.

- Aurora, CO, USA

Oct 162014

Durango 8-cyl

This is definitely a public safety hazard. I bought my used Dodge Durango last October 2014. Every time I fill my gas tank up, the gas pump shuts off from a full tank of gas on my vehicle, then the gas comes gushing back out of the fuel neck of the Durango's gas tank. There has been recalls on previous years but none on 2006. There are multiple people filing complaints but no recalls? this causes damage to the automobile paint, clothes, people and the environment. However, most concerning is the safety hazard of a potential fire or explosion from the overflowed gas and fumes happening around multiple cars, people and gas pumps at gas stations when 2006 Dodge Durango owners fill up their vehicles. This is not a problem caused by any owner. This is a mechanical defect in the Dodge Durango filler tube valve in the gas tanks. Please help to get this problem corrected by the Dodge company.

- Wallace, NC, USA

Jan 012013

Durango

I bought my Dodge Durango used in 2010 and everytime I fill my gas tank up and the gas pump shuts off from a full tank, the gas comes gushing out of the fuel neck. There has been recalls on previous years but none on 2006. Doesn't make any sense. There are multiple people filing complaints but no recalls" this causes damage to paint, clothes, people standing in the way without the knowledge it happens. Does it take an actual injury or fire before something is done" its ridiculous and something needs to be done!!! I don't have the money to fix it and it is clearly a defect from the factory. Hopefully something is done so Dodge owners can continue to love the cars they bought.

- Lawton, OK, USA

Mar 132012

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

I purchased this 2006 Durango used in 2012.from day 1, it has spewed fuel out when filling up. I have been soaked on a few occasions, and have had fuel sprayed in my eyes. I have seen prior years being recalled for the same reason, but not this model year. Please do something about this.

- Carthage, MO, USA

Jan 012014

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

Every time I fill up, once the gas pump clicks off, gas spews from the fuel fill area.

- Rocky River , OH, USA

Nov 042014

Durango 8-cyl

After buying the vehicle in 2009, it began shutting off when I decelerated for stops or turns. No engine light warning. In 2009, took it to the dealership 4 times. No help. Issues have continued. Took to dealership in 2010 3-4 times for same issue. Seems to shut off more in winter than summer but is very random. In 2011, more exploratory work was completed at dealership. Is there a lemon law? in 2012, I had someone else tinker on it. Still no assistance. The issues are less annoying now and becoming dangerous as it now shuts off at any time, at any speed, in any weather. I've tried new brakes, couple of new batteries, new computer chip, complete visual overall with computer assistance at dealership. Once when check engine light came on, O'reily's computer said that the sensor box had moisture in it. Dealership found no such evidence. All maintenance like oil changes are up-to-date. In 2013 in addition to the shutting off, there is a bumping when the brakes are applied and no one can contribute that issue to anything either! no help. Scared to drive but no $$ get a new one. I feel abandoned with a lemon.

- North Augusta, SC, USA