2006 Dodge Durango fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Dodge Durango:

2006 Dodge Durango Owner Comments (Page 4 of 7)

Apr 042012

Durango 8-cyl

At every fuel fill up regardless of the gas station, the fuel pump shuts off and fuel spills all over the ground and down the side of the truck.

- Elwood, IL, USA

Mar 282013

Durango 8-cyl

I recently purchased a 2006 Durango with some rust bubbles below the gasoline fill up door. On research of this issue I found 372 complaints regarding the fuel/propulsion system - spitting out gasoline when being filled at a gas station out of 553 total complaints via NHTSA. I have only had my vehicle a week and have not yet filled the tank. Now very leery of filling the tank for fear of being covered with gasoline, polluting the environment, causing an explosion, injuring/killing nearby innocent bystanders, including myself. In the case of a potentially dangerous situation such as this, there is liability as with any safety hazard. Besides the numerous complaints, there are videos on popular sites demonstrating the gas spit back yet there are no investigations reported regarding this complaint and only 2 service bulletins regarding this complaint. It makes me sick to think that I or some other Durango owner could accidentally cause a mass fatality at a gas station if some unsuspecting person uses their cell phone or lights up. What about the health of the person pumping the gas" last I heard gasoline showers are very toxic. Why is there no investigation on this concern"

- Ligonier, PA, USA

Sep 232008

Durango 8-cyl

When fuelling at a gas station, gas overflows when the tank is full (when the gas pump clicks off). This happens every time I try to fill the tank. Gas overflows onto side of vehicle and onto pavement at gas station. Fuel spill hazard is extremely dangerous. Gas stations are starting to warn me that I cannot cause a fuel spill. Dodge claims they have not heard of this problem. Recall urgently needed before major catastrophe.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Dec 052011

Durango 8-cyl

I bought my Durango "used" from the dealership and the first time I filled the tank up, gas went everywhere. I thought it was the gas station but the time after that, when I filled up- I did it slowly and it still overfilled and spilled everywhere. Now, I can't fill my tank full as I am afraid of a fire and also don't like wasting money on expensive gas that isn't going into my tank so I only fill it about half full every time. This is a headache no matter how you put it. However, I have read and seen many reviews of many other 2006 Durangos with the same issue. Wondering if there's a recall?

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Nov 012012

Durango 8-cyl

Every gas fill my 2006 Dodge Durango spits back a lot of gas. I have tried different gas stations and the problem is constant whereever I go. Help!

- The Villages, FL, USA

Mar 042013

Durango

When filling up the vehicle with fuel the pumps do not shut off when it is full and the gasoline spills outside of the vehicle, sometimes violently. This happens almost every time I fill the vehicle and is extremely dangerous! luckily the first time I was inside of the gas station when it happened and it shot out everywhere and soaked a 3-4 foot radius from the gas tank. This last time I filled up it sprayed a fine mist everywhere and it spilled all down the side of the vehicle.

- Simi Valley, CA, USA

Feb 262013

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

After filling fuel tank a lot of fuel sprays out of top of filler neck and spills down the side of the vehicle. Sometimes it sprays out a few feet away and can get all over you. It happens every time the tank is filled up. There is a recall for this exact problem with the 2005 model but not one for the 2006 model.

- Nicholasville, KY, USA

Sep 122012

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

Each time I fuel, once the tank is full, it spews/gurgles a large amount of fuel back out of the filler neck. It happens at every kind of pump, and it happens whether I use the auto shut off or if I control the flow and slow it to a trickle. It still happens once the tank gets close to full. Each time I fuel, I spill at least 1-3 quarts of fuel onto the ground. This is very harmful to the enviornment, a waste of my money, and a safety issue. I have owned many new and old vehicles, and never in my life, have I experienced a problem fueling my car. This is a known problem from Dodge, because they recalled the 2005 Durango for this very problem. So why fix the 2005's and not the 2006"??"

- Valdez, AK, USA

Feb 192013

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

After gas pump shut off automatically, a large amount of gas came out of the filler port soaking me. This is the first time this happened.

- Kennebunk, ME, USA

Jan 012011

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

When filling the gas tank the fuel splashes and pours out all over me and the vehicle. The paint on the vehicle that is exposed to the fuel has begun to bubble and rust. If the inconvenience and hazard of the spill isn't enough the loss of fuel at today's high prices is an injustice that needs to be addressed. Please help us! we paid a lot for our vehicle and now it looks like crap! Dodge should care more about it customers!

- Erie, PA, USA

Jul 092012

Durango

When the gas tank is full, the Dodge Durango spits gasoline out and spills it all over the vehicle, the ground, and anyone who happens to be near the pump. This has happened from day one of ownership of the vehicle and happens each and every time the vehicle is fueled. Drenching a motor vehicle operator in gasoline every time they fill the gas tank is caustic to the individual and dangerous to those breathing the fumes inside the vehicle.

- Tremonton, UT, USA

Dec 072012

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

Every time that I attempt to fill the gas tank, gasoline sprays out of the tank all over me. This was never a problem until the vehicle hit 60,000 miles. The problem started a few months ago and happens every time that I try to fill the tank up. The only solution is to limit the amount of gasoline that I put into the tank. There is approximately a quart or more of gas that sprays everywhere. I am going to contact the dealership tomorrow to see what type of remediation is available. This is a major safety and environmental hazard. We are supposed to be limiting gasoline emissions, so I am fairly certain that gasoline spraying all over the person pumping the gas as well as over the ground is a hazard. I have researched this online and see that more that just the 2005 is affected. I think that the Dodge dealerships should have to check each Durango from 2005 until when the problem was corrected. If any are affected, they should have to fix those that are a problem.

- Greencastle, PA, USA

Feb 012013

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

When filling with gas to capacity fuel sprays out of the gas tank all over the car, the ground and me. Obvious safety and environmental hazard.

- Norfolk, VA, USA

Jan 032011

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

During refueling the pump handle will click off then a second later a rush of gasoline will spew out of the fill inlet. This happens every time the tank is filled to full.

- Skiatook, OK, USA

Nov 062012

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

Fill the gas tank and when stopped filling a large amount of gas backflows out of tank onto the ground and person pumping gas! this is a major hazard both for the person and the environment. Took to Dodge dealer and they said this has happened a lot and only way to fix is to replace gas tank which is very expensive. Called Dodge and they refuse to cooperate saying they never heard of this problem before must be the way I pump gas! this has happened everytime I fill gas. Very annoying and hazardous!!

- North Conway, NH, USA

May 162010

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

Safety and environmental hazard. When fueling the vehicle and the fuel nozzle stops filling, a large amount of gasoline forcefully spews from the tank filler neck. Spraying on the person fueling, spilling fuel on the ground, and on the vehicle. At first it was annoying. Now I feel it has become a safety hazard and also an environmental hazard. I am not describing a small burp of gasoline, but a large amount, at least a cup of fuel. I no longer can fill the tank, I have to stop short to prevent the attendant from being drenched with gas and gas being spilled on the ground.

- Eugene, OR, USA

Mar 012007

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

Every time fill up gas tank it spills over. Not on recall list.

- Dalton, GA, USA

Dec 152011

Durango

When pumping gas, the fuel tank spills gas all over the car & ground. It doesn't stop when the pump kicks off. Gas pours on ground, my shoes & clothes. This happens every time I get gas.

- Saint Louis, MO, USA

Jun 152011

Durango 8-cyl

Gas spits out forcefully when fueling, leaving gas all over the floor, along the side of the vehicle, and on my clothes/shoes. It happens every time unless I stop fueling before the tank fills up. Makes it tough to go on long trips because I can never have a full tank of gas. This has continued for over a year.

- Laredo, TX, USA

Jan 012009

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

Fuel splashes back from the fuel filler tube every time I fill the tank, if left to auto shut-off, resulting in splash-back on the person filling the tank, and fuel spilling on the ground.

- Lakewood, CO, USA