2006 Dodge Durango fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Dodge Durango:

2006 Dodge Durango Owner Comments (Page 5 of 7)

Jan 032013

Durango 8-cyl

I was filling my car and once it was filled the gas forcefully came back out of the tank and covered my coat pants and shoes. I am so angry, this has happened on other time that I completely filled my tank. The gas should not be coming back out of the tank. # 1 - I am now covered in gas, this is a huge safety issue, # gas is all over the side of my vehicle, huge safety issue, #3 gas is all over the ground at the service station, huge safety issue. This problem has been recalled in the 2005 Dodge Durango and I feel that my car is experiencing the same issues. I think that if Dodge does not want a law suit they would fix the problem.

- South Jordan, UT, USA

Dec 292012

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

I have owned this vehicle one week, filled the fuel tank twice and had the same issue on both fill ups. When the fuel tank is full and backs up to the nozzle to shut it off, the fuel does not shut off and sprays at least 2 pints of fuel on the vehicle and the nozzle and myself. This has happened at two different fuel stations.

- Chippewa Falls, WI, USA

Nov 172012

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

Refueling the gas pump shuts off and then a large amount of gas sprays out the tank all over the gas pump handle, and down the car. About 2 cups of gas spew out almost every time we fill up - even if pumping slowly. This is a new problem (had the car since new in 2006) and just started last month. This should be recalled or at least fixed as it is very dangerous for my family sitting in the car as I refill, and dangerous in many other ways!

- Lehi, UT, USA

Dec 222012

Gas shoots out of filler neck after filling with fuel..... updated 06117/16

- Auburn, CA, USA

Dec 262012

Durango 8-cyl

Like every one of this type vehicle from Chrysler every time you fuel up it shuts the pump off then spews a couple cups of gas back out onto who ever is there or onto the ground. I know you know about this and have done absolutely nothing about it. Why. You recalled a few in 2005 and in research on line you can see nothing good happened. It is time to fix it now.

- Headland, AL, USA

Dec 012008

Durango

Everytime myself or my wife fills up the gas tank, it will not shut off without spewing gas all over the place. We have monitored the recalls for this problem and have seen numerous testimonies to include video of the same issue. The statement released that it's because of operator negligence is completely false. It's to the point that we have to hold the handle at a slow fill speed in order to not lose fuel all over the ground. I have lost gallons worth of fuel not to negate the issue of safety for myself and family everytime the fuel dumps.

- Hill Afb, UT, USA

Dec 132012

Durango 8-cyl

I was pumping gas. It got to about 1.7 gallons and then the gas nozzle clicked and then gas shot out of my gas tank with my child standing beside the gas tank. If he was any closer it could've got in his eyes!

- Hampton, VA, USA

Oct 042010

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Durango. The contact stated the fuel spilled out of the tank whenever gasoline was added to its capacity. The fuel pump shut off, but fuel continued to spill out of the fuel tank. The contact had not taken the vehicle to the dealer to be inspected. The failure mileage was unknown. The current mileage was 61,000. Updated 2/4/13 the consumer stated the local Dodge dealer advised this was a known issue. The vehilce was repaired. Updated 02/20/2013

- Peoria, AZ, USA

Nov 062012

Durango 8-cyl

I have a 2006 Dodge Durango, when filling the fuel tank gas spews out of the filler neck when approaching full. I have researched this problem and have found that there was a recall on numerous Chrysler makes and models, indicating the problem is with a faulty inlet check valve in the fuel tank. Only certain specific VIN numbers are covered under the recall despite the fact that thousands of documented complaints have been recorded. Chrysler has denied that this is an ongoing manufacture defect, I assume to keep from having to spend potentially millions of dollars to correct the problem. This not only a fire hazard, but an environmental hazard a well. Please take the appropriate steps to require the Chrysler corporation to include any vehicles with this defect in an updated recall. Thank you

- Cygnet, OH, USA

Oct 122012

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

When I fuel my vehicle the fuel spills back onto me. If I stand away it goes onto the ground. When I contacted Dodge they stated the current recall does not include my vehicle. This will at some point cause a fire and seriously injure or kill the person filling the vehicle. Dodge has had an issue with this on model years 2005-2008 (which includes my vehicle year) from what I have found, but fails to correct the problem with my VIN.

- Cedar City, UT, USA

Nov 012010

Durango

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Durango. The contact stated that after refueling the vehicle, fuel would spill back out from the filler neck. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis where the contact was advised that the fuel tank needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not contacted. The failure mileage was approximately 70,000. The current mileage was approximately 103,000.

- North Brunswick, NJ, USA

Mar 312006

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

The fuel tank spits out about a quart of gas when refilling tank. This has happened every time I have refilled since I bought the vehicle in March 2006. I have resorted to filling only 3/4 full for the last few years since my dealer will not fix the problem. I have addressed the problem to the lyndsey Chrysler Dodge dealer in St roberts, mo several times but no recalls have been issued for the 2006 Durango.

- Waynesville, MO, USA

Nov 022012

Durango 8-cyl

I just bought a 2006 Dodge Durango on 11/2/2012 and went to the gas station to fill it up and it over flowed about a 1/4 of a tank of gas on the ground and down the side of the truck. I first thought maybe I didn't have it all the way in the gas tank. But then I gassed up again on the 10th of November 2012 and it did it again. I am really upset about this issue. Dodge should have a recall on this. If something happens to any of my family we will be suing Dodge!!!!! I am surprised no one has been hurt yet. This is dangerous!!! I love my truck but hate that there isn't anything being done about this issue!!!

- Ingleside, IL, USA

Oct 062012

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

While fueling the car at the gas station I keep continuing to have back-flow of gas propelling out of the fill spout when filling up. It is happening every-time and I think this is not a safe thing to have gas coming flying back out and getting over the ground & myself. This is a real safety hazard. I have found there is a lot of issues with the 2005 models which have a recall and now the 2006-2008 models have a service bulletin if manufactured after Feb 20006 & are having the same problem. My vehicle VIN is not covered but has the same exact problem.

- Clinton, IA, USA

Jul 062012

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

When I try to fill up my fuel tank, when the pump stops, gas is expelled out of my tank and spills all over the car and ground. The fuel is expelled with some force.

- Bridgewater, NJ, USA

Nov 052012

Durango 8-cyl

Fuel spit back. As many others have stated this should be a safety issue not to mention an environmental one. How can this be a user problem when it is clearly a malfunction of parts probably the same as the 2005 recall. I am sending an email to Chrysler and the epa see who comes back first.

- Marana, AZ, USA

May 252012

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

Fuel spit back while refueling from fuel filler tube has happened at several different locations and times.

- Dunmore, PA, USA

Jun 172009

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

Whenever I put gas in the tank, it comes back out when it reaches full. It sprays and splashes out onto the vehicle and ground. I avoid this now by filling the tank very slowly for the last couple of gallons and trying to listen for any gas that may be coming back out at me. It still comes out sometimes. Either way, this isn't right.

- Lock Haven, PA, USA

Jul 012011

Durango

Since July of 2011 and every gas station stop since then my wife and I avoid filling up our tank, as this vehicle does not stop flow of gas at any pump when it reaches full. Instead it gurgles up and spray fuel back at the person filling tank (me usually), down side of vehicle and of course all over the ground. After reviewing other reports, it is apparent there are major and consistent issues of this type for the 2006 Durango and recalls for same issue, only for 2005 model. Since then everytime we fill up, it is a guessing game how close, and I run back and forth from pump handle to interior gas gauge, back to pump handle and so on. I'm sure it's amusing to everyone else that doesn't own this Chrysler product.

- Cape Coral, FL, USA

May 102010

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

2006 Dodge Durango. Whenever you put fuel in the car, the fuel overflows spilling and spraying out a substantial amount of fuel on the person and the ground. This does this every time when filling up the car. I am the original owner of the car and this creates safety concerns. Dodge issued a recall on 2005 models recall id#78716 for the same issue, but hasn't addressed the issues with any of the 2006 and 2007's.

- Lee's Summit, MO, USA