Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The third generation Durango is plagued by a defective TIPM, particularily in the 2011 and 2012 model years.

TIPM, which stands for Totally Integrated Power Modules, is responsible for controlling and distributing power to all the vehicle’s electrical functions. So when your TIPM goes haywire, bad things start happening. Things like your water pump can stop working, your engine can stall out and your airbags can randomly deploy.

2011 Dodge Durango engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Dodge Durango:

2011 Dodge Durango Owner Comments

Apr 152016

On an intermittent, but regular basis, the vehicle (2011 Dodge Durango) stalls when slowing into a turn or approaching a stoplight. Once the vehicle stalls, the steering column locks making it difficult to turn the vehicle. This has resulted in several close calls with other vehicles and even objects (curbs, light poles, etc.) I use this vehicle to Transport my children on a daily basis and am concerned for their safety as well as my own. We have taken the vehicle in to the dealership that it was purchased from (arrigo Dodge, Chrysler, Jeep Ram) in West palm beach fl. Eight (8) times for this same problem. They have replaced various parts, and even been able to recreate the problem once, however, every time we get the vehicle back, within a few days or weeks it stalls again. There have been several recalls on this particular vehicle, including one for the fuel pump relay within the tipm-7 and one for the 160 amp alternator, both of which can cause the vehicle to stall. I have included as many of the applicable service reports as the upload will allow. The dealership stated that they contacted Chrysler at one point, but did not receive any answers as to how to fix the problem.

- Lake Worth, FL, USA

Jan 072016

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Durango. The contact stated that while driving at 75 mph, a strange resistance was felt in the accelerator pedal while the oil warning light illuminated. The vehicle began to shake violently while an abnormal noise was heard. The contact stated that a fire was observed coming from under the front of the vehicle. The fire was extinguished by the fire department. A fire report was filed. No injuries were sustained. The vehicle was towed to a dealer where the failure was not determined. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 87,303.

- Alexandria, LA, USA

Jan 152016

I purchased my 2011 Dodge duango citadel in August 2015. On several occasions, both weeks and months apart, my hazard lights will randomly cut off and on just long enough for you to think you're crazy and second guess if you saw them. I eventually had to take my car to the Dodge dealership because the car was not turning over at the start and became inoperable. Once at the dealership, the manager determined that although my car reported to have already had the tipm replaced, it was actually not. The original tipm was still in the car, meaning that the carfax reporting that the tipm recall had been executed was false. After my tipm was replaced, my car operated fine until one day whilei was driving with my 2 year old in the car. I was coming up on a stop sign, and when I went to make a right hand turn my car stalled. All of the lights were on and the radio still functioned, but I lost complete power steering and my hazard lights would not work when I tried to cut them on to alert other drivers. I was able to put my car in park and restart it successfully. I took around 3 weeks before I was able to make an appt. For my car to be looked at. During this time my hazard lights sporadically came on from time to time, lasting no longer than a couple of seconds. Might I mention that when the car stalled my fcw off light and the adaptive cruise control symbol came on. After a thorough review at the Dodge dealership, I was informed that that there was no problem detected. I was told that all the connections were checked and that no trouble codes were coming up when running diagnostics. I left the dealersihp hoping my problem had been a fluke. Boy was I wrong! since then, my hazard lights have still been spiratically going off and has stalled again, this time while I was making a left hand turn onto my road with my 5 year old in the car. This is ridiculous!

- Blythewood, SC, USA

Aug 012014

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Durango. While operating the vehicle at various speeds, all the instrument panel indicators illuminated and the odometer stopped operating. While driving various speeds, the vehicle would suddenly decelerate without warning. The dealer stated that the tipm was faulty and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 60,000.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jul 172011

First incident the electrical components on dashboard where going haywire like if the truck was possessed. Windshield wipers where on and would not turn off. Truck would not move out of park when I pulled over. After about 5 mins it moved out of park but could not drive over 45 mph because truck would not shift into second gear, and all electrical is still going haywire! then in August of 2014 truck started to have problems again starting, then finally about 2 weeks ago I was taking my kids to school, it was still having problems starting I finally got it to start and stay on and was driving down the road with my four children and the truck just lost all power in the engine and shut off. I had to roll over to the right to get out of traffic. This happened while I was driving! after that the truck would struggle to start still and about 30seconds later would just lose all power again. So I had to have it towed to dealership, and was told it was the relay to fuel pump. But I think it's the tipm that is bad.

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Jul 252014

Durango 6-cyl

I have taking my truck to the dealership 3 times now and still have a starting issue. They replaced the win module and that did not work. They read some codes from it and did nothing. I was making a right hand turn from a light last week and I went to hit the gas and the SUV just stalled. Also the other day I was sitting in line at a drive through and it just went off. It is very hard to get it to start 95% of the time. It takes me 10 to 15 mins every morning to get it started.

- Harpers Ferry, WV, USA

Nov 112013

Durango 6-cyl

Vehicle would hesitate to start, after several tries it would start. On 11/11/13 when the cruise control was set it accelerated by itself. I was trying to start it on 11/12/13 and 11/13/13, when it finally started it accelerated to 4 1/2 RPM, so drove it to the dealership and I was told it was the tipm, which isnt available, but there are parts to correct the problem. One part would be available in 4 business days and the wiring part won't be available until 12/24/2013 estimated. This id such an inconvenience!

- Little Rock, AR, USA

Feb 082013

Durango 8-cyl

Vehicle stalled while turning off 4-lane and traffic began to come which had to stop until vehicle started again. Wipers, lights, and radio clock not functioning correctly, basically all electrical has not functioned correctly at one time or another. Vehicle will not start, also continuously cranks for10 seconds an shuts down, has also started an immediately died. Fan sound running under back seat, thought was possible tire going flat. Automatic start will not work at times. Going 55mph on highway and engine died. Very very dangerous vehicle to drive!!!!! part is supposed to be tipm total integrated power module, and be here in 2-3 days.

- Beckley, WV, USA

Oct 222012

Durango 8-cyl

Engine light comes on, fcw light comes on, RPM's run high and car accelerates on its own. Must ride the brake and be extremely careful when that happens as car tries to jump/accelerate on its own. Worry that this will cause accident. Car has been in and out of repair shop on three occasions and problem still not fixed. Dealer does not know what is wrong or how to fix. Have consulted corporate and put the word out to other dealers but to no avail. Just got car back again after dealer having for the entire day and problem started up again. Plan on writing to manufacturer and reporting car under lemon law.

- St Peters, MO, USA