Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The third generation Durango is plagued by a defective TIPM, particularily in the 2011 and 2012 model years.

TIPM, which stands for Totally Integrated Power Modules, is responsible for controlling and distributing power to all the vehicle’s electrical functions. So when your TIPM goes haywire, bad things start happening. Things like your water pump can stop working, your engine can stall out and your airbags can randomly deploy.

2011 Dodge Durango seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Dodge Durango:

2011 Dodge Durango Owner Comments

Jan 072016

While driving, the airbag warning light came on. I took the car to papa's Dodge in new britain, ct. After investigating for 3 days, they told me a wire in the A-pillar was compromised and that car's airbag system may not operate in the event of a crash. I was given two options for repair. The first was to order a new wiring harness that would put the repair cost close to $800. The second was to have the wires spliced and repaired with no guarantee for $450. I opted for the second option and the repair has held up now for a month. This is an obvious design flaw through no fault of my own that could put my family and I at risk in the event of a crash. These wires are compromised by simply opening and closing the door to enter the vehicle. When I contacted Chrysler about reimbursing me for the repair, I was given 4 free oil changes and told there was nothing else they could do.

- West Hartford, CT, USA

Apr 012015

Air bag icon displayed on dash. Dealer replaced air bag wiring harness under front driver seat. Said it got pinched by the seat" since then inverter power plug in back seat doesnt work now needs to be replaced. Tire sensor rear driver side displayed that it had no pressure and had to be replaced. Are these things connected electrically"

- Oak Run, CA, USA

Mar 162015

Durango 8-cyl

The air bag light goes off and on and also dings...very annoying. I see other complaints regarding this issue. Should be a recall!!!! I have only owned the vehicle 2 month and have had to replace the cluth fan on the A/C and the visor recall..not happy with Dodge so far. Wish I would have kept my GMC, I had no problems.

- Surpsrise, AZ, USA

Sep 132014

My airbag light kept flashing on and off then came on and has been on every since the seatbelt light doesn't work- and was told the airbag wont work in a crash until I get the part fixed and they are asking alot to fix it at dealership was wondering if it was on recall" anyone else having issues" only on my passenger side-.

- Longmont, CO, USA

Feb 112013

Durango 8-cyl

My airbag light has been coming on and off since I bought this SUV brand new. I have taken it back to the dealer they clear the code cause they said nothing was wrong. Well now it is on and wont go off, the dealer wont send me my records I have requested them through Chrysler Dodge 3 months ago. The dealer is saying I have never brought it in for that which is not true. They are refusing to fix the two open recalls they want me to drive 80 miles to get it fixed they keep saying there is a legal issue and there is no legal issue. Chrysler Dodge is believing everything they are saying with now proof. I have only this SUV for my family and now the airbags will not deploy if in a wreck and Chrysler has informed me they could deploy anytime. How is this safe"?" today I took it to a different auto place they hooked it up and got the code B1C29, low and behold went online I found 4 open complaints with the same problem, and the same service from Chrysler they are putting lives at risk. My 16 year old daughter drives my SUV and I have to worry about her cause no airbags, this is why I bought this SUV for the safety aspects. Please get them to fix this and the two open recalls. Your my last hope.

- Pine , AZ, USA

Mar 032014

Durango 6-cyl

While driving my vehicle at 45mph the airbag light came on and stayed on for several weeks. I talked to Dodge dealer and they said that they have had a couple of complaints about it, but there are no safety recalls or tsb's on this issue. It went off on its own and stayed off for about a month. Same speed different time of year, the airbag light came on and this time blinked and then came on solid intermittently for about another two weeks. Called Dodge again and they said there was still no recall or tsb for this issue. It is now September and it has once again decided that the airbag light wants to come on and stay solid. Had a service appointment with Dodge and they said that they would have to charge me for a diagnosis.

- Puyallup, WA, USA

Jul 102013

Airbag light came on and has stayed

- Washington, DC, USA

Jul 172009

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

Dodge Durango citadel 2011 intermittent air bag light comes on when driving, refer to ODI id number 10475864. Took truck to dealer 7/9/2011, corrective action hard wired connector C3 53 under seat, this did not correct problem. Took truck back to dealer 8/24/2011, corrective action B1C29 intermittent problem orc module internal failure and replaced orc module. This did not correct the problem. Tool truck back third time with same problem on 9/22/12, dealer diagnosis, loose connection at left side seat thorax squib B1C29 circuit open. Pulled codes. Loose connection in left side seat squib high resistance at the connector hard wired blue/black strip and green wires checked operation airbag light off at this time. Currently the light is off.

- Horton, AL, USA

Sep 092012

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Durango. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, he noticed that the air bag warning indicator was illuminated. The malfunction occurred sporadically. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer who advised that the failure was contributed to the air bag wiring harness. The component was ordered and the vehicle was scheduled for repairs when the part had become available. The manufacturer was notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 18,218.

- San Diego , CA, USA

Oct 112011

Durango 6-cyl

Driver lost control of 2011 Dodge Durango, traveling approximately 35-45 mph, and hit a tree head on. Vehicle purchased on 8/25/2011 new, and had approximately 5,000 miles on it at time of collision. Driver was wearing his seat belt. No air bags deployed. All emergency personnel, wrecker driver, body shop, and insurance claims adjuster indicated that there was no reason air bag should not have deployed, the crash definitely hit the sensors. Vehicle still being assessed, but is probably a total loss.

- Lancaster, SC, USA