Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The third generation Durango is plagued by a defective TIPM, particularily in the 2011 and 2012 model years.

TIPM, which stands for Totally Integrated Power Modules, is responsible for controlling and distributing power to all the vehicle’s electrical functions. So when your TIPM goes haywire, bad things start happening. Things like your water pump can stop working, your engine can stall out and your airbags can randomly deploy.

2011 Dodge Durango steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Dodge Durango:

2011 Dodge Durango Owner Comments

Jun 292016

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Durango. While driving 15 mph, the air conditioning blew hot air and the instrument panel lighting went haywire. The vehicle started to lose power and acceleration. The contact pulled over, and turned off and restarted the vehicle. To ensure that the vehicle was fine, the contact depressed the accelerator pedal to allow the engine to rev. Afterwards, the contact was able to drive the vehicle without failure and there were no warning lights illuminated. However, after driving a few miles longer, the power steering and power brakes failed. Shortly after, the vehicle lost all power. The vehicle was towed to the contact's home where it had not been able to start. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 80,000.

- Cowansville, PA, USA

Apr 092016

While on the highway I a check battery light appeared on my dash, I planned on checking into it at the upcoming gas station which was about 3 miles away, as I approached the offramp to the gas station all kinds of check engine lights and ABS and you name it started showing in my dash followed by the wipers and next thing you know the car dies out. Lucky for me there was no vehicle in front of me because I could not steer or brake because it was very hard or locked, I managed to pull over just before the gas station and sensed the smell of burned wire, I noticed I was not completely off the road so I tried putting vehicle in neutral but it was locked in park, also my key was stuck in the ignition. Local mechanic changed the battery first and still had the check battery light on so he reccomended a new alternator as well which I bought immediately, $900 later here I sit with new alternator and baterry but still the same problem with vehicle stalling and check battery light on. Dealer says my vehicle is not in the P60 recall even though I have/had the same 160 amp alternator as the recalled vehicles. This is a serious issue which can become deadly if not fixed asap. Im sure of one thing, never in my life will me or my family buy a Dodge again.

- Wildomar, CA, USA

Mar 112016

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Durango. While driving 40 mph, the instrument panel lights illuminated on and off. The vehicle hesitated to accelerate and, when making left and right turns, the steering seized. The contact coasted over to a main road. The vehicle was towed to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the alternator failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 57,045.

- Hobe Sound, FL, USA

Jan 152016

I purchased my 2011 Dodge duango citadel in August 2015. On several occasions, both weeks and months apart, my hazard lights will randomly cut off and on just long enough for you to think you're crazy and second guess if you saw them. I eventually had to take my car to the Dodge dealership because the car was not turning over at the start and became inoperable. Once at the dealership, the manager determined that although my car reported to have already had the tipm replaced, it was actually not. The original tipm was still in the car, meaning that the carfax reporting that the tipm recall had been executed was false. After my tipm was replaced, my car operated fine until one day whilei was driving with my 2 year old in the car. I was coming up on a stop sign, and when I went to make a right hand turn my car stalled. All of the lights were on and the radio still functioned, but I lost complete power steering and my hazard lights would not work when I tried to cut them on to alert other drivers. I was able to put my car in park and restart it successfully. I took around 3 weeks before I was able to make an appt. For my car to be looked at. During this time my hazard lights sporadically came on from time to time, lasting no longer than a couple of seconds. Might I mention that when the car stalled my fcw off light and the adaptive cruise control symbol came on. After a thorough review at the Dodge dealership, I was informed that that there was no problem detected. I was told that all the connections were checked and that no trouble codes were coming up when running diagnostics. I left the dealersihp hoping my problem had been a fluke. Boy was I wrong! since then, my hazard lights have still been spiratically going off and has stalled again, this time while I was making a left hand turn onto my road with my 5 year old in the car. This is ridiculous!

- Blythewood, SC, USA

Mar 182015

The very first time was when I was slowing down from about 50mph at a corner in order to take a right hand turn, about halfway through the 90 corner I feel that the steering has stiffened. Looking down, I see that the tachometer now reads 0, and the engine has died. I cannot simply slip it into neutral and then restart it because of the car has a keyless pushbutton and the start button only works with the drive in park. I then have to armstrong it through the rest of the corner. As I finish up the turn to where I can safely stop and restart, I then push the brakes only to find that they are now totally stiff because there is now no vacuum left to assist. I end up costing to a stop. The car always restarts without any problem. This problem has persisted and has happened at least 20 times since. It is always is when slowing down from anywhere from 60 to 30 mph and beginning to take a right turn. I have never seen this happen when doing a left, but there are not to many chances to duplicate this scenario doing a left. We had the one recall for the fuel pump done so that should not be it. We have complained about this to numerous Dodge dealers and they have done nothing. One service writer said that he knew of the problem, knew that the fuel pump recall was not fixing it and that there was going to be another recall to fix the problem. When this happens unexpectedly as you are going 25 mph in a traffic roundabout, it is all you can do to try to steer through the rest of the traffic circle, only to find that your power brakes are failed as you try to stop to restart. This is a very serious defect that needs immediate attention, someone is going to be killed with this happening, either the occupants of the car, or the public. We also have a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee and it is doing the exact same thing, but more because it is driven more.

- Hudson, WI, USA

Mar 012013

Durango 8-cyl

At random times the engine will just shut down and I have no power steering at all. It has happened over 15 times now generally when I come to a full stop and also when I am taking a right hand turn at slow speeds.

- Syracuse, NY, USA

Jun 202013

Durango 6-cyl

Right front strut has started to leak oil. Possible fire hazard due to vicinity of the brake. After speaking with service advisor at dealership he stated this is the 3rd strut he seen replaced for leakage.

- Meridian, ID, USA

May 072012

Durango 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Durango. The contact stated when the vehicle reached 70 mph the front end began to shake. During a road force balance test the dealer stated the failure was a characteristic of the vehicle. An independent mechanic performed an alignment which reduced the shaking, but did not correct the problem. The contact stated the problem was due to the all wheel drive feature. The failure mileage was 10,000 and the current mileage was 22,000.

- Hagerstown , MD, USA

Oct 062011

Traded in 2005 town and country in Nov 2010 to 2010 town and country numerous problems also had major brake issues nearly causing accident at four way interchange. Traded it in taking neg.equity to 2011 Durango in Oct 2011 it has numerous issue including up and down idle bulbs blowing when washed thru auto wash ac probs. Power steering begining whine noise had brakes repaired hard shifting computer flashed dealer cant figure out problems called corporation waiting for reply.

- Alexandria, KY, USA

Dec 122011

Durango 6-cyl

When ignition on, sitting in vehicle listening to fm radio station, overhead rear electric hatch button was pressed and hatch opened. Just after opening rear hatch, passenger door was opened. Immediately after door opened, radio and dome light shut off for 2 seconds and came back on to 530am. A few seconds later, smelled electrical smoke. Minute or two later, saw glowing wire under floor carpet between firewall and front passenger seat. Eventually turned into fire totaling vehicle. In the period approx. 2 months to this, power steering went out for 3-5 seconds 3 times and radio went off for 2-3 seconds about 5 times. Vehicle completely stock, all services performed by dealership.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Nov 262011

The frontend of my 2011 Dodge Durango shakes at 45 mph and increases in strength with an increase in speed"?why" this is not a one time / short time thing it has been doing it for a while. I need to know what to do to fix it!!

- Dugway, UT, USA

Nov 172010

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Durango. While traveling 35 mph, the contact noticed that the instrument panel and radio failed. Moments later, the power steering also failed. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The current and the failure mileages were 9,000.

- Covington, KY, USA

Aug 022011

Durango 8-cyl

While driving my 2011 Dodge Durango, the steering wheel started shaking violently and pulling the vehicle to the right causing me to momentarily lose control of the vehicle and almost crashing into a parked vehicle. I have had this unsafe issue with the steering wheel shaking since the vehicle was purchased back on 6/10/11 with the dealership and Dodge not able to diagnose and fix the issue. Having a case with Chrysler/Dodge since back in June, they have now told me that this is a normal characteristic of the vehicle. Haven driven 3 other 2011 Durangos, 2 also exhibited the steering wheel shake while 1 did not which shows this is not a characteristic of the vehicle but instead a possible defect that needs to be investigated to determine the problem and to fix it.

- Westbury, NY, USA