CarComplaints.com Notes: The Dodge Intrepid, Stratus & other Chrysler sedans are infamous for oil sludge problems with the 2.7L V6 engine. If someone offers to sell you a 2.7L V6 model, it's only worth the price of the scrap metal it's going to shortly turn into.

NOTE: Only the 2.7L V6 has the oil sludge problem. Our "Avoid like the Plague" designation is ONLY for models with the 2.7L V6 engine. All other available engines are very reliable with no major problems.

Even with regular maintenance, the oil sludge defect eventually destroys the 2.7L engine typically around 80,000-100,000 miles. The only true fix we know about is to put in the larger 3.2L engine, which has a great reputation.

This issue was never deemed a safety defect by the Feds, so there was no recall. In the end, Chrysler got away with FOUR YEARS worth of defective 2.7L V6 engines in their sedans.

6.0

1. replace front brakes (1 reports)
  2. replace front rotors, calibers and brake pads (1 reports)
1999 Dodge Intrepid brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1999 Dodge Intrepid:

1999 Dodge Intrepid Owner Comments

Oct 242010

Intrepid ES 2.7L V6

Long List of repairs on 1999 Dodge Intrepid

Steering Shaking while driving and shaking worse when braking. Replaced Rotors, Calibers, and Brake Pads.

- , Hickory, NC, USA

Aug 042006

Intrepid

My steering wheel started shaking at about 20,000 miles. Dealer told me I needed new tires. I got two new front tires, then I was told I needed to turn the rotors and get new brakes. I had this fixed on my car. It continued to shake... dealer replaced idle arm to fix problem.... not very good trouble-shooting. The car has about 95,000 miles and I have had to rotate rotors about 3 times since then. I think car and service really suck at Dodge Chrysler. I have a neighbor who has a 97 F-150 who has done his brakes only one time.

- , Fort Worth, TX, USA