- February 19: Chrysler Recalls Dodge Charger and Chrysler 300 recalls | 0 days ago
- January 30: Daimler Vans USA Recalls Vans Over Takata Airbags recalls | 20 days ago
- January 8: Fiat Chrysler Recalls Trucks and SUVs to Fix Takata Airbags recalls | 42 days ago
- December 23: Chrysler Recalls Dodge Journey, Jeep Compass and Jeep Patriot SUVs recalls | 58 days ago
- December 21: Ram 1500 and Dodge Durango Rollaway Incidents Investigated investigations | 60 days ago
2001 Dodge Intrepid
Problems & Complaints
CarComplaints.com Notes: The Dodge Intrepid, Stratus & other Chrysler sedans are infamous for oil sludge problems with the 2.7L V6 engine. If someone offers to sell you a 2.7L V6 model, it's only worth the price of the scrap metal it's going to shortly turn into.
NOTE: Only the 2.7L V6 has the oil sludge problem. Our "Avoid like the Plague" designation is ONLY for models with the 2.7L V6 engine. All other available engines are very reliable with no major problems.
Even with regular maintenance, the oil sludge defect eventually destroys the 2.7L engine typically around 80,000-100,000 miles. The only true fix we know about is to put in the larger 3.2L engine, which has a great reputation.
This issue was never deemed a safety defect by the Feds, so there was no recall. In the end, Chrysler got away with FOUR YEARS worth of defective 2.7L V6 engines in their sedans.
Worst 2001 Intrepid Problems by Category
Click on a category below for details. Help?
- engine problems317NHTSA complaints: 510
- transmission problems24NHTSA complaints: 33
- electrical problems18NHTSA complaints: 12
- steering problems9NHTSA complaints: 39
- cooling system problems8NHTSA complaints: 16
- AC / heater problems6NHTSA complaints: 8
- interior accessories problems4NHTSA complaints: 12
- windows / windshield problems3NHTSA complaints: 7
- exterior accessories problems2NHTSA complaints: 5
- body / paint problems2NHTSA complaints: 6
- brakes problems2NHTSA complaints: 10
- seat belts / air bags problems2NHTSA complaints: 24
- exhaust system problems1NHTSA complaints: 12
- fuel system problems1NHTSA complaints: 5
- miscellaneous problems1NHTSA complaints: 2
- suspension problems1NHTSA complaints: 3
- lights problemsNHTSA: 9
- wheels / hubs problemsNHTSA: 2
- drivetrain problemsNHTSA: 1
- clutch problemsNHTSA: 1
Stay Up to Date
Compare Dodge Intrepid Model Years
Curious how the 2001 Intrepid compares to other years?
Check out our Dodge Intrepid overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Intrepid.