- June 28: Chrysler Electronic Gear Shifters Cause Nearly 700 Complaints news | 1 days ago
- June 26: Chrysler Electronic Gear Shifter Focus of Lawsuit news | 3 days ago
- June 21: Jeep Electronic Gear Shifter Focus of Anton Yelchin's Death news | 8 days ago
- June 7: Sports Car Crash-Test Ratings All Over the Place news | 22 days ago
- June 3: Chrysler Recalls Vans, SUVs and Trucks in 4 Recalls recalls | 26 days ago
2001 Dodge Intrepid
CarComplaints.com Notes: The Dodge Intrepid, Stratus & other Chrysler sedans are infamous for oil sludge problems with the 2.7L V6 engine. If someone offers to sell you a 2.7L V6 model, it's only worth the price of the scrap metal it's going to shortly turn into.
NOTE: Only the 2.7L V6 has the oil sludge problem. Our "Avoid like the Plague" designation is ONLY for models with the 2.7L V6 engine. All other available engines are very reliable with no major problems.
Even with regular maintenance, the oil sludge defect eventually destroys the 2.7L engine typically around 80,000-100,000 miles. The only true fix we know about is to put in the larger 3.2L engine, which has a great reputation.
This issue was never deemed a safety defect by the Feds, so there was no recall. In the end, Chrysler got away with FOUR YEARS worth of defective 2.7L V6 engines in their sedans.
Worst 2001 Intrepid engine Problems
Click on a problem below to read more.
- oil sludge resulting in engine failure149
- knocking noise from engine28
- engine blew up25
- oil light comes on when idling24
- engine destroyed due to timing chain break17
- engine light is on17
- coolant leak resulting in engine failure12
- engine failure10
- timing chain damaged6
- oil pump failure5
- water pump failed inside the engine5
- timing chain about to break4
- cam sensor failure3
- engine misses3
- timing chain guides and tensionisors worn out2
- burning excessive oil1
- high idle1
- rear main oil seal leak1
- threads in the oil pan stripped1
- NHTSA: Engine And Engine Cooling: Engine301
- NHTSA: Engine And Engine Cooling161
- NHTSA: Engine And Engine Cooling: Engine: Gasoline22
- NHTSA: Engine And Engine Cooling: Engine: Gasoline: ...16
- NHTSA: Vehicle Speed Control7
- NHTSA: Engine3
Stay Up to Date
Compare Dodge Intrepid Model Years
Curious how the 2001 Intrepid compares to other years?
Check out our Dodge Intrepid overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Intrepid.