- August 12: Daimler Recalls Sprinter 2500 and 3500 Vans Over Takata Airbags recalls | 7 days ago
- July 22: Chrysler Recalls Dodge Challengers That May Roll Away recalls | 28 days ago
- July 15: Chrysler Recalls 442,000 Cars and SUVs Over Alternator Failures recalls | 35 days ago
- July 14: Chrysler Recalls 363,000 Dodge Journey SUVs recalls | 36 days ago
- June 19: Dodge Dart Transmission Lawsuit Won't Be Dismissed news | 61 days ago
2001 Dodge Intrepid
CarComplaints.com Notes: The Dodge Intrepid, Stratus & other Chrysler sedans are infamous for oil sludge problems with the 2.7L V6 engine. If someone offers to sell you a 2.7L V6 model, it's only worth the price of the scrap metal it's going to shortly turn into.
NOTE: Only the 2.7L V6 has the oil sludge problem. Our "Avoid like the Plague" designation is ONLY for models with the 2.7L V6 engine. All other available engines are very reliable with no major problems.
Even with regular maintenance, the oil sludge defect eventually destroys the 2.7L engine typically around 80,000-100,000 miles. The only true fix we know about is to put in the larger 3.2L engine, which has a great reputation.
This issue was never deemed a safety defect by the Feds, so there was no recall. In the end, Chrysler got away with FOUR YEARS worth of defective 2.7L V6 engines in their sedans.
Worst 2001 Intrepid engine Problems
Click on a problem below to read more.
- oil sludge resulting in engine failure149
- knocking noise from engine28
- engine blew up25
- oil light comes on when idling24
- engine light is on19
- engine destroyed due to timing chain break17
- coolant leak resulting in engine failure12
- engine failure10
- timing chain damaged6
- oil pump failure5
- water pump failed inside the engine5
- timing chain about to break4
- cam sensor failure3
- engine misses3
- burning excessive oil2
- timing chain guides and tensionisors worn out2
- high idle1
- rear main oil seal leak1
- threads in the oil pan stripped1
- NHTSA: Engine And Engine Cooling: Engine301
- NHTSA: Engine And Engine Cooling161
- NHTSA: Engine And Engine Cooling: Engine: Gasoline22
- NHTSA: Engine And Engine Cooling: Engine: Gasoline: ...16
- NHTSA: Vehicle Speed Control7
- NHTSA: Engine3
Stay Up to Date
Compare Dodge Intrepid Model Years
Curious how the 2001 Intrepid compares to other years?
Check out our Dodge Intrepid overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Intrepid.