- May 29: Seven SUVs Confront The Small Overlap Crash Test
- May 5: Flames Still Shooting From Jeep and Dodge Headliners
- April 11: Recalled: Dodge Viper Door Handles Lose Their Bite
- April 9: Government No Help to 1.8 Million Chrysler and Dodge Minivan Owners
- March 11: Chrysler Alternator Lawsuit Says Owners Tired of Problems
2001 Dodge Intrepid
CarComplaints.com Notes: The Dodge Intrepid, Stratus & other Chrysler sedans are infamous for oil sludge problems with the 2.7L V6 engine. If someone offers to sell you a 2.7L V6 model, it's only worth the price of the scrap metal it's going to shortly turn into.
NOTE: Only the 2.7L V6 has the oil sludge problem. Our "Avoid like the Plague" designation is ONLY for models with the 2.7L V6 engine. All other available engines are very reliable with no major problems.
Even with regular maintenance, the oil sludge defect eventually destroys the 2.7L engine typically around 80,000-100,000 miles. The only true fix we know about is to put in the larger 3.2L engine, which has a great reputation.
This issue was never deemed a safety defect by the Feds, so there was no recall. In the end, Chrysler got away with FOUR YEARS worth of defective 2.7L V6 engines in their sedans.
Worst 2001 Intrepid engine Problems
Click on a problem below to read more.
- oil sludge resulting in engine failure149
- knocking noise from engine28
- engine blew up24
- oil light comes on when idling24
- engine destroyed due to timing chain break17
- engine light is on17
- coolant leak resulting in engine failure12
- engine failure10
- timing chain damaged6
- water pump failed inside the engine5
- timing chain about to break4
- cam sensor failure3
- engine misses3
- intermittent oil pump failure3
- oil pump failure2
- timing chain guides and tensionisors worn out2
- burning excessive oil1
- high idle1
- rear main oil seal leak1
- threads in the oil pan stripped1
- NHTSA: Engine And Engine Cooling: Engine291
- NHTSA: Engine And Engine Cooling151
- NHTSA: Engine And Engine Cooling: Engine: Gasoline22
- NHTSA: Engine And Engine Cooling: Engine: Gasoline: ...16
- NHTSA: Vehicle Speed Control6
Stay Up to Date
Compare Dodge Intrepid Model Years
Curious how the 2001 Intrepid compares to other years?
Check out our Dodge Intrepid overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Intrepid.