- February 28: Fiat Chrysler Recalls 467,000 SUVs To Fix Engine Stall
- December 31: Dodge Recalls Dart Aero To Fix Tire Pressure Monitoring System
- December 29: Lawsuit Filed Over Allegedly Defective Clutch Safety Interlock Switches
- December 29: Older Dodge Trucks Recalled After Reported Fatality
- December 25: Dodge Recalls Challenger To Repair Instrument Clusters
2001 Dodge Intrepid
CarComplaints.com Notes: The Dodge Intrepid, Stratus & other Chrysler sedans are infamous for oil sludge problems with the 2.7L V6 engine. If someone offers to sell you a 2.7L V6 model, it's only worth the price of the scrap metal it's going to shortly turn into.
NOTE: Only the 2.7L V6 has the oil sludge problem. Our "Avoid like the Plague" designation is ONLY for models with the 2.7L V6 engine. All other available engines are very reliable with no major problems.
Even with regular maintenance, the oil sludge defect eventually destroys the 2.7L engine typically around 80,000-100,000 miles. The only true fix we know about is to put in the larger 3.2L engine, which has a great reputation.
This issue was never deemed a safety defect by the Feds, so there was no recall. In the end, Chrysler got away with FOUR YEARS worth of defective 2.7L V6 engines in their sedans.
Worst 2001 Intrepid engine Problems
Click on a problem below to read more.
- oil sludge resulting in engine failure149
- knocking noise from engine28
- engine blew up24
- oil light comes on when idling24
- engine destroyed due to timing chain break17
- engine light is on17
- coolant leak resulting in engine failure12
- engine failure10
- timing chain damaged6
- water pump failed inside the engine5
- timing chain about to break4
- cam sensor failure3
- engine misses3
- intermittent oil pump failure3
- oil pump failure2
- timing chain guides and tensionisors worn out2
- burning excessive oil1
- high idle1
- rear main oil seal leak1
- threads in the oil pan stripped1
- NHTSA: Engine And Engine Cooling: Engine301
- NHTSA: Engine And Engine Cooling161
- NHTSA: Engine And Engine Cooling: Engine: Gasoline22
- NHTSA: Engine And Engine Cooling: Engine: Gasoline: ...16
- NHTSA: Vehicle Speed Control7
- NHTSA: Engine3
Stay Up to Date
Compare Dodge Intrepid Model Years
Curious how the 2001 Intrepid compares to other years?
Check out our Dodge Intrepid overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Intrepid.