- July 27: Dodge Charger Under Investigation For Alternator Failure
- July 11: Chrysler Recalls 895,000 SUVs After Vanity Lights Catch Fire
- June 30: Chrysler Recalls 696,000 Vehicles for Defective Ignition Switches
- June 29: Investigation Opened Into 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 Drive Shafts
- June 18: Investigation Looks at MORE Ignition Problems in 700,000 Chrysler Vehicles
1999 Dodge Intrepid
Problems & Complaints
CarComplaints.com Notes: The Dodge Intrepid, Stratus & other Chrysler sedans are infamous for oil sludge problems with the 2.7L V6 engine. If someone offers to sell you a 2.7L V6 model, it's only worth the price of the scrap metal it's going to shortly turn into.
NOTE: Only the 2.7L V6 has the oil sludge problem. Our "Avoid like the Plague" designation is ONLY for models with the 2.7L V6 engine. All other available engines are very reliable with no major problems.
Even with regular maintenance, the oil sludge defect eventually destroys the 2.7L engine typically around 80,000-100,000 miles. The only true fix we know about is to put in the larger 3.2L engine, which has a great reputation.
This issue was never deemed a safety defect by the Feds, so there was no recall. In the end, Chrysler got away with FOUR YEARS worth of defective 2.7L V6 engines in their sedans.
Worst 1999 Intrepid Problems by Category
Click on a category below for details. Help?
- engine problems276NHTSA complaints: 717
- AC / heater problems27NHTSA complaints: 16
- transmission problems18NHTSA complaints: 87
- electrical problems8NHTSA complaints: 56
- suspension problems6NHTSA complaints: 21
- interior accessories problems5NHTSA complaints: 19
- lights problems5NHTSA complaints: 18
- windows / windshield problems5NHTSA complaints: 46
- brakes problems4NHTSA complaints: 36
- steering problems4NHTSA complaints: 59
- wheels / hubs problems3NHTSA complaints: 9
- exterior accessories problems2NHTSA complaints: 13
- body / paint problems2NHTSA complaints: 17
- cooling system problems2NHTSA complaints: 22
- fuel system problems2NHTSA complaints: 10
- seat belts / air bags problemsNHTSA: 42
- miscellaneous problemsNHTSA: 17
- exhaust system problemsNHTSA: 12
- drivetrain problemsNHTSA: 10
A D V E R T I S E M E N T S
Stay Up to Date
Compare Dodge Intrepid Model Years
Curious how the 1999 Intrepid compares to other years?
Check out our Dodge Intrepid overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Intrepid.