- September 15: Chrysler Recalls Cars and SUVs After 3 Deaths, 5 Injuries recalls | 10 days ago
- August 17: Woman Sues Over Jeep Grand Cherokee Gear Shift Design news | 39 days ago
- August 3: Anton Yelchin Wrongful Death Lawsuit Filed by Parents news | 53 days ago
- July 7: Chrysler Sebring and Dodge Stratus Recalled to Fix Sun Visors recalls | 80 days ago
- July 2: Chrysler Recalls 37,000 Vehicles Over Transmission Pumps recalls | 85 days ago
1999 Dodge Intrepid
CarComplaints.com Notes: The Dodge Intrepid, Stratus & other Chrysler sedans are infamous for oil sludge problems with the 2.7L V6 engine. If someone offers to sell you a 2.7L V6 model, it's only worth the price of the scrap metal it's going to shortly turn into.
NOTE: Only the 2.7L V6 has the oil sludge problem. Our "Avoid like the Plague" designation is ONLY for models with the 2.7L V6 engine. All other available engines are very reliable with no major problems.
Even with regular maintenance, the oil sludge defect eventually destroys the 2.7L engine typically around 80,000-100,000 miles. The only true fix we know about is to put in the larger 3.2L engine, which has a great reputation.
This issue was never deemed a safety defect by the Feds, so there was no recall. In the end, Chrysler got away with FOUR YEARS worth of defective 2.7L V6 engines in their sedans.
Worst 1999 Intrepid engine Problems
Click on a problem below to read more.
- oil sludge resulting in engine failure141
- timing chain broke and bent valves27
- oil light comes on w/ no lack of oil22
- ticking sound22
- engine stalls and won't restart for awhile17
- engine making grinding noise8
- oil leak8
- oil pump failed5
- engine discharges smoke from the tailpipe4
- problems starting4
- timing tensioner failed4
- engine light on3
- water pump blew into oil crank case3
- oil light on with engine hesistation2
- oil pan screw stripped2
- won't stay running2
- idler fell off of engine1
- not getting spark from all cylinders1
- shakes and stalls upon cold start1
- NHTSA: Engine And Engine Cooling: Engine380
- NHTSA: Engine And Engine Cooling187
- NHTSA: Engine And Engine Cooling: Engine: Gasoline84
- NHTSA: Engine And Engine Cooling: Engine: Gasoline: ...32
- NHTSA: Vehicle Speed Control19
- NHTSA: Engine4
- NHTSA: Vehicle Speed Control: Linkages4
- NHTSA: Vehicle Speed Control: Accelerator Pedal3
- NHTSA: Vehicle Speed Control: Cruise Control3
- NHTSA: Engine And Engine Cooling: Engine: Gasoline: ...1
- NHTSA: Vehicle Speed Control: Cables1
Stay Up to Date
Compare Dodge Intrepid Model Years
Curious how the 1999 Intrepid compares to other years?
Check out our Dodge Intrepid overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Intrepid.