- June 16: Chrysler Recalls Trucks With Drive Shafts That Could Break
- June 14: Dodge Ram Headlight Problems Lead to Recall
- June 12: Chrysler Recalls Dodge Dart After Reports of Engines Stalling
- May 13: Chrysler 300C, Dodge Charger and Dodge Magnum Under Investigation
- May 12: Chrysler Recalls Over 300,000 Vehicles Over Safety Concerns
- April 30: Dodge Viper Focus of Federal Investigation After Crash Reports
- April 13: Chrysler Recalls 213,000 Vehicles, 10 Different Models
- March 27: Dodge Challenger Recalled For Being a Fire Trap
2002 Dodge Intrepid
Problems & Complaints
CarComplaints.com Notes: The Dodge Intrepid, Stratus & other Chrysler sedans are infamous for oil sludge problems with the 2.7L V6 engine. If someone offers to sell you a 2.7L V6 model, it's only worth the price of the scrap metal it's going to shortly turn into.
NOTE: Only the 2.7L V6 has the oil sludge problem. Our "Avoid like the Plague" designation is ONLY for models with the 2.7L V6 engine. All other available engines are very reliable with no major problems.
Even with regular maintenance, the oil sludge defect eventually destroys the 2.7L engine typically around 80,000-100,000 miles. The only true fix we know about is to put in the larger 3.2L engine, which has a great reputation.
This issue was never deemed a safety defect by the Feds, so there was no recall. In the end, Chrysler got away with FOUR YEARS worth of defective 2.7L V6 engines in their sedans.
Worst 2002 Intrepid Problems by Category
Click on a category below for details. Want help understanding this graph?
- engine problems177NHTSA complaints: 196
- transmission problems40NHTSA complaints: 50
- cooling system problems15NHTSA complaints: 17
- electrical problems10NHTSA complaints: 14
- brakes problems7NHTSA complaints: 20
- steering problems7NHTSA complaints: 14
- AC / heater problems3NHTSA complaints: 2
- interior accessories problems2NHTSA complaints: 9
- body / paint problems2NHTSA complaints: 4
- lights problems2NHTSA complaints: 5
- windows / windshield problems2NHTSA complaints: 5
- seat belts / air bags problemsNHTSA: 11
- suspension problemsNHTSA: 10
- drivetrain problemsNHTSA: 9
- fuel system problemsNHTSA: 7
- exhaust system problemsNHTSA: 6
- exterior accessories problemsNHTSA: 5
- wheels / hubs problemsNHTSA: 5
- miscellaneous problemsNHTSA: 2
A D V E R T I S E M E N T S
Stay Up to Date
Compare Dodge Intrepid Model Years
Curious how the 2002 Intrepid compares to other years?
Check out our Dodge Intrepid overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Intrepid.