- April 11: Recalled: Dodge Viper Door Handles Lose Their Bite
- April 9: Government No Help to 1.8 Million Chrysler and Dodge Minivan Owners
- March 11: Chrysler Alternator Lawsuit Says Owners Tired of Problems
- March 6: Chrysler Recalls 700,000 Minivans and SUVs To Replace Ignition Switches
- March 2: Dodge Recalls Charger and Challenger Over Risk of Fire
2002 Dodge Intrepid
Problems & Complaints
CarComplaints.com Notes: The Dodge Intrepid, Stratus & other Chrysler sedans are infamous for oil sludge problems with the 2.7L V6 engine. If someone offers to sell you a 2.7L V6 model, it's only worth the price of the scrap metal it's going to shortly turn into.
NOTE: Only the 2.7L V6 has the oil sludge problem. Our "Avoid like the Plague" designation is ONLY for models with the 2.7L V6 engine. All other available engines are very reliable with no major problems.
Even with regular maintenance, the oil sludge defect eventually destroys the 2.7L engine typically around 80,000-100,000 miles. The only true fix we know about is to put in the larger 3.2L engine, which has a great reputation.
This issue was never deemed a safety defect by the Feds, so there was no recall. In the end, Chrysler got away with FOUR YEARS worth of defective 2.7L V6 engines in their sedans.
Worst 2002 Intrepid Problems by Category
Click on a category below for details. Help?
- engine problems183NHTSA complaints: 164
- transmission problems43NHTSA complaints: 42
- cooling system problems20NHTSA complaints: 13
- electrical problems10NHTSA complaints: 11
- steering problems8NHTSA complaints: 12
- brakes problems7NHTSA complaints: 19
- AC / heater problems4NHTSA complaints: 2
- lights problems4NHTSA complaints: 5
- interior accessories problems3NHTSA complaints: 8
- body / paint problems2NHTSA complaints: 4
- windows / windshield problems2NHTSA complaints: 4
- exterior accessories problems1NHTSA complaints: 5
- suspension problemsNHTSA: 10
- seat belts / air bags problemsNHTSA: 9
- drivetrain problemsNHTSA: 6
- exhaust system problemsNHTSA: 6
- wheels / hubs problemsNHTSA: 4
- fuel system problemsNHTSA: 3
- miscellaneous problemsNHTSA: 2
A D V E R T I S E M E N T S
Stay Up to Date
Compare Dodge Intrepid Model Years
Curious how the 2002 Intrepid compares to other years?
Check out our Dodge Intrepid overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Intrepid.