- April 11: Chrysler Class-Action Lawsuit Targets Truck Tie-Rod Problems
- March 26: Chrysler Recalls Dodge Charger For Lifeless Low-Beam Headlights
- March 13: Feds Close Jeep Liberty Door Fires Investigation
- March 10: Chrysler Recalls 45,000 Vehicles to Update Software
- March 5: The 12 Worst Cars According to Consumer Reports
- March 3: Chrysler Sued Over Alleged 'False Park' Death
- February 14: Investigation Closed Into Chrysler Stalling Engines
- February 11: Why You Should Beware of Car Dealer Ads
2000 Dodge Intrepid
Problems & Complaints
CarComplaints.com Notes: The Dodge Intrepid, Stratus & other Chrysler sedans are infamous for oil sludge problems with the 2.7L V6 engine. If someone offers to sell you a 2.7L V6 model, it's only worth the price of the scrap metal it's going to shortly turn into.
NOTE: Only the 2.7L V6 has the oil sludge problem. Our "Avoid like the Plague" designation is ONLY for models with the 2.7L V6 engine. All other available engines are very reliable with no major problems.
Even with regular maintenance, the oil sludge defect eventually destroys the 2.7L engine typically around 80,000-100,000 miles. The only true fix we know about is to put in the larger 3.2L engine, which has a great reputation.
This issue was never deemed a safety defect by the Feds, so there was no recall. In the end, Chrysler got away with FOUR YEARS worth of defective 2.7L V6 engines in their sedans.
Worst 2000 Intrepid Problems by Category
Click on a category below for details. Want help understanding this graph?
- engine problems372NHTSA complaints: 785
- interior accessories problems25NHTSA complaints: 48
- electrical problems25NHTSA complaints: 32
- AC / heater problems16NHTSA complaints: 4
- transmission problems12NHTSA complaints: 31
- steering problems11NHTSA complaints: 83
- cooling system problems8NHTSA complaints: 12
- lights problems7NHTSA complaints: 15
- brakes problems4NHTSA complaints: 33
- suspension problems4NHTSA complaints: 18
- exterior accessories problems3NHTSA complaints: 31
- fuel system problems3NHTSA complaints: 8
- windows / windshield problems3NHTSA complaints: 21
- body / paint problems2NHTSA complaints: 13
- exhaust system problems2NHTSA complaints: 16
- seat belts / air bags problems2NHTSA complaints: 33
- miscellaneous problemsNHTSA: 10
- drivetrain problemsNHTSA: 9
- wheels / hubs problemsNHTSA: 7
A D V E R T I S E M E N T S
Stay Up to Date
Compare Dodge Intrepid Model Years
Curious how the 2000 Intrepid compares to other years?
Check out our Dodge Intrepid overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Intrepid.