- July 15: Chrysler Recalls 442,000 Cars and SUVs Over Alternator Failures recalls | 6 days ago
- July 14: Chrysler Recalls 363,000 Dodge Journey SUVs recalls | 7 days ago
- June 19: Dodge Dart Transmission Lawsuit Won't Be Dismissed news | 32 days ago
- June 14: Chrysler Recalls Dodge Grand Caravans Over Airbag Problems recalls | 37 days ago
- May 7: Dodge Ram Emissions Lawsuit Should Be Dismissed, Chrysler Says news | 75 days ago
2000 Dodge Intrepid
CarComplaints.com Notes: The Dodge Intrepid, Stratus & other Chrysler sedans are infamous for oil sludge problems with the 2.7L V6 engine. If someone offers to sell you a 2.7L V6 model, it's only worth the price of the scrap metal it's going to shortly turn into.
NOTE: Only the 2.7L V6 has the oil sludge problem. Our "Avoid like the Plague" designation is ONLY for models with the 2.7L V6 engine. All other available engines are very reliable with no major problems.
Even with regular maintenance, the oil sludge defect eventually destroys the 2.7L engine typically around 80,000-100,000 miles. The only true fix we know about is to put in the larger 3.2L engine, which has a great reputation.
This issue was never deemed a safety defect by the Feds, so there was no recall. In the end, Chrysler got away with FOUR YEARS worth of defective 2.7L V6 engines in their sedans.
Worst 2000 Intrepid engine Problems
Click on a problem below to read more.
- oil sludge resulting in engine failure148
- engine knocking61
- engine failure46
- car stopped running, won't start22
- timing chain broke, destoyed engine20
- stalls randomly while driving14
- oil light blinks especially when idling12
- runs roughly, engine light is on12
- timing tensioner failed8
- head gasket failure7
- stalls when coming to a stop5
- timing chain broke3
- check engine light came on, bad coil2
- excessive oil consumption2
- one of the three computers died2
- squeaking noise, tensioner pulley is junk2
- won't start when cold2
- worn valve seals2
- 3.2L engine ticks for a few seconds on cold startup1
- check engine light is on, code 03051
- engine fire1
- lifters failed1
- mac tool left in head, broke a valve spring1
- starts shaking at about 3700-4000rpm1
- NHTSA: Engine And Engine Cooling: Engine438
- NHTSA: Engine And Engine Cooling251
- NHTSA: Engine And Engine Cooling: Engine: Gasoline45
- NHTSA: Engine And Engine Cooling: Engine: Gasoline: ...40
- NHTSA: Vehicle Speed Control5
- NHTSA: Vehicle Speed Control: Accelerator Pedal3
- NHTSA: Vehicle Speed Control: Cables1
- NHTSA: Vehicle Speed Control: Cruise Control1
- NHTSA: Vehicle Speed Control: Linkages1
Stay Up to Date
Compare Dodge Intrepid Model Years
Curious how the 2000 Intrepid compares to other years?
Check out our Dodge Intrepid overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Intrepid.