CarComplaints.com Notes: The Dodge Intrepid, Stratus & other Chrysler sedans are infamous for oil sludge problems with the 2.7L V6 engine. If someone offers to sell you a 2.7L V6 model, it's only worth the price of the scrap metal it's going to shortly turn into.

NOTE: Only the 2.7L V6 has the oil sludge problem. Our "Avoid like the Plague" designation is ONLY for models with the 2.7L V6 engine. All other available engines are very reliable with no major problems.

Even with regular maintenance, the oil sludge defect eventually destroys the 2.7L engine typically around 80,000-100,000 miles. The only true fix we know about is to put in the larger 3.2L engine, which has a great reputation.

This issue was never deemed a safety defect by the Feds, so there was no recall. In the end, Chrysler got away with FOUR YEARS worth of defective 2.7L V6 engines in their sedans.

4.0

2001 Dodge Intrepid steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Dodge Intrepid:

2001 Dodge Intrepid Owner Comments

Jun 082009

Intrepid SE 2.7L

I recently purchased a 2001 Dodge Intrepid. I got it for a good price and after seeing this website I can see why the dealer was so willing to come down on price for me to purchase this nightmare of a car. I have been driving this car to and from work for a couple months and to my surprise I get into my car to go to work and I go to put my car in reverse to leave and I almost have to hang on my dashboard to switch gears. I took the car to a local dodge dealer and they checked out the car and basically told me there is a problem but they couldn't tell me what the problem is. I have tried other garages and the same answers. I need some help with this cause it is no fun driving my car this way. If anyone has anything I could use towards helping me fiqure out this problem I would be much appreciated.

- , Galesville, WI, USA