CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2002 has the well-known and documented problem with their dashboards falling to pieces, but it also has engine failure from oil sludge. That's a doube shot of awful in your morning coffee.

8.2

1. Dodge should recall the dashboard (safety issue) (269 reports)
  3. replace dashboard (90 reports)
  4. class action lawsuit against Dodge for inferior dashboards (14 reports)
  5. bought an aftermarket dash replacement (2 reports)
  6. dashboard, vents, radio replacement (1 reports)
2002 Dodge Ram 1500 accessories - interior problems

2002 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 10 of 25)

Feb 152009

Ram 1500 4.7lV8

I had a customer bring in a 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 for a heater core.The dash was cracked badly and when I pulled it out to access the heater core it broke in even more places resulting in a nasty cut to myself and my son.I called Dodge and they offered a $100 discount on parts and labor at their local dealer to have it replaced.The price was about $1200 installed. I told them I was going to contact my lawyer and they just laughed, so I reported it to NHTSA instead and learned that if enough people will report the same thing they will force Chrysler Corporation to recall the defect.This is FYI to anyone out there who has or had one of the many model year Dodge Ram pickups with this problem to REPORT IT TO NHTSA so it will eventually be recalled as a safety issue.Just imagine what could happen to anyone,especially children,who was involved in a crash in one of these trucks with the defective dashboards.The cracks form what are essentially very sharp" knives" that will maim or, God forbid, KILL someone.If we all band together we can get this thing recalled for the safety of many people.Remember Jesus loves you unconditionally.............Have a blessed day....................

- , Glen, MS, USA

Dec 012010

Ram 1500 4.7L

Same ol story with Dodge service. No loyalty to its customers. You would think by now they would get it but obviously they do not. Every friend who owns the same pick up I do has the same issue with the cracked dash. Every one!!!!!!! This is not our problem. Dodge should recall this faulty piece. Not only the dash cracked, the driver and passenger window controls broke free from the doors, the A/C speed control unit was replaced twice, the cover to the ash tray fell off, and the sun glass holder cracked........all due to the Florida sun, Bullsh.**. I do not believe it. Built ram touch. Yeah right!!!!!

- , Safety Harbor, FL, USA

Aug 102009

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L

First off Dodge should be ashamed of this type of "quality" they put in trucks. Secondly after paying what I paid for this thing Dodge should just own up to this problem and do the right thing by fixing it at least once!!! Lastly, because of this type of problem and the lack of responsiblitly from Dodge, rest assured Dodge will never get any more of my dollars ever again!!!

- , Newnan, GA, USA

Dec 102010

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L V8

Diamler has known for a long time that the dash material they use in these trucks is inferior and they continued to use it anyway. There is no way to prevent it except to leave the truck parked in the garage forever. Dodge should be held legally liable and be mandated to replace every dash in every truck produced since '97-'98ish with a quality product. I have purchased my LAST Diamler vehicle.

- , Gilby, ND, USA

Feb 112009

Ram 1500 SLT V10

There needs to be a warranty for dodge dashboards because they're CRAP! There is no support under them to keep them from breaking. I know this because mine has a HUGE HOLE IN IT! step it up dodge and fix the problem and MY dash!

- , Stonecreek, OH, USA

May 182011

Ram 1500

I Heard That 5 Years After The DashBoard Starts To Crack But I Bought This Truck When It Came Out In 2002. One Owner To Tell You. After 9 Years It Barely Started To Crack Next To The Passenger AirBag . It All Depends Cause I Block It From The Sun. So I Belive That The Sun Toasts The DashBoard. So I Advice You To Block The DashBoard From The Sun.

- , Huntington Park, CA, USA

Jun 012011

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L

Hey go to safercar.gov and report all these issues to help get an investigation started for a recall!

- , Allen, TX, USA

Sep 012004

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L

I first started notice small cracks in the dash of my ram when it was still under warranty. But every dodge/chrysler dealership refused to do anything stating that it was the texas heat. very strange since i treated this vehicle even better than the other dodge vehicles we owned and none of them ever had a cracked dash even after years of texas sun! the dash has all but disintegrated now, and in area where it is thinner it has disintegrated. I have videotaped the progress waiting until I could afford a class action to help everyone with this issue. the time has come! Dodge you are on notice!

The electrical problems are now a safety concern and no one should have to risk their families driving your crap! It's is sad, I so loved Dodge, love the challenger, but will never spend a dime on any of your vehicles again! Anyone wanting to invest in a class action, let me know. We may have to go after the gov for ignoring this issue also.

- , Allen, TX, USA

Dec 012010

Ram 1500 3.7L

Hello,

I have a 2002 Dodge Ram 3.7 truck. I'm the second owner. I have taken care of my truck I have over 84,000 miles on it. Last December cracks started to appear in my dash which started off small by February of this year cracks had increased to over 14 cracks and leaving the front part totally loose. I spoke with Dodge customer service they gave me a case manager went back and forth with conversations took my truck to the dealership so they could take pictures and send it in. Well, the ending results was my warranty had expired and this was an warranty issue by Dodge. Dodge will not face it that the material they used is a piece of crap. Today May 21st 2011 I was cleaning my truck up and one of the vents fell in my hand so now I have a hole in my dash along with all of the cracks. I called Dodge again to let them know well the customer service rep. told me because of the mileage of my vehicle there was nothing they could do. After I explained myself what did mileage have to do with default material she just kept saying there was nothing they could do because of the mileage. I then ask to speak with a supervisor which he will call me on Monday since he was not in. It's a shame that the Federal Government bailed Dodge out but Dodge is not will not help their customers. I have taken very good care of my vehicle and worked my butt off when I was making those payments each month. I'm so tired of these dealerships taking advantage of people. Buy a vehicle from us and we will take good care of you. You are a valuable customer what a bunch of s%&t. They don't care if they did they would make this right for all the people who are going through this crap. It makes me ashamed to be a Dodge owner after this. I'm so sick of it. They need to make this right.

Pam Cumming, GA USA

- , Cumming, GA, USA

Mar 202011

Ram 1500 LX 5.9L

THESE PEOPLE NEED TO BUY DECENT QUALITY MATERIAL WHEN THE PRODUCE THESE TRUCKS, HOW CAN THEY EXPECT US TO BUY ANOTHER TRUCK FROM THEM IN THE FUTURE WHEN THEY HAVE THESE LOW GRADE QUALITY CONTROL SPECS.

- , El Campo, TX, USA

Oct 302005

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L V8

The date and mileage are approximations. The dash started cracking when we'd had the truck only a few years. There are now 5 cracks in it. We just had to have the "blend door" problem with the vents fixed, and the cracks are worse since they've taken out the dash to make that fix. We were annoyed that the dealer didn't call us to see if we wanted the dash replaced, although after reading about the problem, replacement doesn't seem like a permanent fix.

- , Fayetteville, NC, USA

Jun 272009

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

Well it happen to me to CRACKS all over the dashboard. when to the junk yard and got an other me for $165.00. after 6 months guess what? IT HAPPEN AGAIN! Its a pain in the butt to change the dashboard, took me 4hrs to do it even do I saw the guy take it off.

- , Oceanside, CA, USA

May 062011

cracks in dashboard cracks in dashboard cracks in dashboard

My dash has been falling apart since I bought the truck! A year or so ago my A/C on the passenger side did not work any more, just on the driver side it worked. Finally we took it in to get fixed since it was about to be summer and we have a newborn now. We took the truck in and they had to take the dash off to get to the A/C. Well when they started taking it apart it started crumbling! There was nothing anyone could do to stop it from crumbling! And we had to get the A/C fixed with having a newborn and a black truck in the desert! So we had to buy a new dash so they could fix the A/C! So we bought a dash that cost us over $600! Not only that but come to find out that the reason the passenger side A/C wasn't working was because there was plastic blocking it from the dash!! So not only did it cost us the $600 to replace the dash but also another $800 for the A/C work!!

- , Lancaster, CA, USA

Oct 012009

Ram 1500 ST 4.7L

click to see larger images

cracks in dashboard cracks in dashboard

I have heard that MOST 2002 dodge ram trucks have this problem yet dodge has not recalled these dashes. Their "FIX" is to purchase a replacement from dodge for around $500 not including installation. They want us to buy the same dash that is not worth a damn to fix the problem, so in a few years it will just crack again. I guess it will take someone getting killed or seriously injured before they recall these dashes.

- , Semmes, AL, USA

Sep 072010

Ram 1500 Sport 5.9L V8

cracks in dashboard cracks in dashboard cracks in dashboard

For the first several years, I kept this truck garaged most of the time at home. I moved to Florida in the summer of 2009 and it would not fit in the garage so it had to be parked outside. Within a year, the dash cracked in several places. I keep my vehicles in outstanding condition and take pride in them. If I had known about the problem with the Dodge dashes, I would have taken extra precautions such as windshield shades. This truck has been a good truck with very few maintenance costs. I don't like the fact that Dodge did not communicate the problem to me, even if it is not covered by any warranty. I typically keep vehicles 10 years and it is about time to replace this one. While a cracked dash on an 8 years old truck would not cause me not to consider that brand again, a manufacturer who is not responsive to known problems and who does not communicate known problems to its customers would. With the upheaval in the auto industry over the past couple of years, Dodge should be more oriented to customer satisfaction and support.

- , Jacksonville Beach, FL, USA

Sep 252009

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L V8

I CANT BELIVE THAT AN $800.00 DASHBOARD WOULD BREAK IN A 7 YR OLD TRUCK!!!! THIS IS F*CKIN BULLSHIT NOW I F*CKIN FEEL LIKE I CANT TOUCH NOT A MOTHER F*CKIN THING IN THIS TRUCK BECAUSE ITS LIABLE TO F*CKIN BREAK INTO F*CKIN LITTLE PIECES.... THIS WAS MY FIRST PURCHASE OF A RAM AND I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER F*CK PIECE OF SH*T DODGE HAS TO F*CKIN OFFER... ONCE AGAIN A CHEVY HAS PROVED YOU DODGE MAKERS CANT MAKE SOMETHING GOOD AND WORTH BUYING... FIRST AND LAST TIME I BUY ANYTHING DODGE HAS TO OFFER...THIS SHOULD BE A RECALL IT IS A SAFTEY ISSUE BECAUSE ONCE YOU PUT YOUR BODY WEIGHT ON THE DASHBOARD AS YOU WOULD IN ANY OTHER VEHICAL IT BREAKS INTO A THOUSAND PIECES AND IF AS YOU PUT YOUR WEIGHT ON IT AND IT BREAKS AT THE SAME TIME YOUR LIABLE TO GET YOUR HAND SLICED AND THAN WHAT A BIG LAWSUITE FOR DODGE AND THAN I BET YALL WILL RECALL IT BUT AT THE COST OF WHAT A PERSON LIFE.. THATS TO LATE DONT YOU THINK COME ON WERES YALLS F*CKIN BRAINNSSSSS....... F*CK DODGE ..... GO CHEVY....!!!

- , Fort Worth, Tx. Tarrant, USA

Nov 012007

Ram 1500 Sport 5.9L

Dodge says they will not pick up the cost for replacement after I opened a case. I just opened another case for this issue because I have read that other people have been compensated. My dash is completely falling apart which will cause many other issues dealing with safety.

- , Brownstown, MI, USA

Nov 102009

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L V8

the dash sucks i really think dodge should have done a recall on this its not right you spend as much for truck as you would a house and they don't even offer any type of compensation dodge sucks in this aspect. i wont buy another dodge id rather buy a damn horse and buggy

- , Longview, TX, USA

Nov 022010

Ram 1500 SLT 5.2L

i HAVE ALWAYS BEEN A LOYAL DODGE OWNER. HAVING PURCHASED SEVERAL AND STILL CURRENTLY OWING 4. A 1993 TOWN AND COUNTRY VAN, 1993 DODGE RAM 1500 4X4, 1999 DODGE DURANGO 4X4, AND THE 2002 RAM 1500 QUAD CAB 4X4 WITH THE CRACKED DASH. I AM A PROFESSIONAL FIREMAN AND MY TRUCK IS ALWAYS CLEAN AND IN PERFECT MAINTANANCE. HOWEVER I HAVE TO LOOK AT THE CRACKED DASH ON THE PASENGER SIDE ABOVE THE AIRBAG AND GLOVE BOX EVERYTIME I CLIMB IN. I AM SO DISAPOINTED WITH DODGE FOR NOT DOING ANYTHING. THEY SHOULD AT THE VERY LEAST LOOK AT THE VEHICLES AND THE ONES THAT SHOW NO SIGN OF ABUSE OR MISUSE THEY SHOULD FIX... I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER DODGE TRUCK UNLESS THEY MAKE IT RIGHT ON THIS.

- , Republic, MO, USA

May 012009

Ram 1500 Sport 5.9L

Its sad that this beautiful truck has such poor quality parts.

- , Tucson, AZ, USA