CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2002 has the well-known and documented problem with their dashboards falling to pieces, but it also has engine failure from oil sludge. That's a doube shot of awful in your morning coffee.

8.2

1. Dodge should recall the dashboard (safety issue) (271 reports)
  3. replace dashboard (92 reports)
  4. class action lawsuit against Dodge for inferior dashboards (14 reports)
  5. bought an aftermarket dash replacement (2 reports)
  6. dashboard, vents, radio replacement (1 reports)
2002 Dodge Ram 1500 accessories - interior problems

2002 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 11 of 25)

Nov 012007

Ram 1500 Sport 5.9L

Dodge says they will not pick up the cost for replacement after I opened a case. I just opened another case for this issue because I have read that other people have been compensated. My dash is completely falling apart which will cause many other issues dealing with safety.

- , Brownstown, MI, USA

Nov 102009

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L V8

the dash sucks i really think dodge should have done a recall on this its not right you spend as much for truck as you would a house and they don't even offer any type of compensation dodge sucks in this aspect. i wont buy another dodge id rather buy a damn horse and buggy

- , Longview, TX, USA

Nov 022010

Ram 1500 SLT 5.2L

i HAVE ALWAYS BEEN A LOYAL DODGE OWNER. HAVING PURCHASED SEVERAL AND STILL CURRENTLY OWING 4. A 1993 TOWN AND COUNTRY VAN, 1993 DODGE RAM 1500 4X4, 1999 DODGE DURANGO 4X4, AND THE 2002 RAM 1500 QUAD CAB 4X4 WITH THE CRACKED DASH. I AM A PROFESSIONAL FIREMAN AND MY TRUCK IS ALWAYS CLEAN AND IN PERFECT MAINTANANCE. HOWEVER I HAVE TO LOOK AT THE CRACKED DASH ON THE PASENGER SIDE ABOVE THE AIRBAG AND GLOVE BOX EVERYTIME I CLIMB IN. I AM SO DISAPOINTED WITH DODGE FOR NOT DOING ANYTHING. THEY SHOULD AT THE VERY LEAST LOOK AT THE VEHICLES AND THE ONES THAT SHOW NO SIGN OF ABUSE OR MISUSE THEY SHOULD FIX... I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER DODGE TRUCK UNLESS THEY MAKE IT RIGHT ON THIS.

- , Republic, MO, USA

May 012009

Ram 1500 Sport 5.9L

Its sad that this beautiful truck has such poor quality parts.

- , Tucson, AZ, USA

Jun 302005

Ram 1500

The dashboard began cracking in 2005 and had continued to deteriorate to the point that it is now collapsing in and causing a variety of electrical and safety issues.

- , Sunrise, FL, USA

Jun 012010

Ram 1500 LS 5.9L

After reading the prior complaints I could copy and paste nearly any or all of them. Mine alos began as a small single crack near the windshield. In a short period ot time and probably related to the increasing heat this past spring and early summer they ran like wild fire. The dash is nothing but a cracked mess througout and actually bounces in areas from any unsmooth road surface.

The stereo performance is poor at best and if I could sing better would leave the stereo off. The heater/a/c blower is also now not working and I am convinced related to the deterioration of the dash. I have also seen pieces of black foam come out of the blower before it was not working right. This has occasionaly happened over about 2 or 3 years (perhas the beginning of it all). I have had two previous Dodge Rams (95 model and 90 models) and did not have types of issues. I have also kept the dashboard clear of anything such as papers, sun glasses, anything so this cannot be due to mistreating it. It has been kept clean like the rest of the truck.

I cannot believe that there is not a recall and especially given the number of nearly identical complaints just on this site alone!!!! I will definitely look at Ford and maybe even Chevy/GMC the next time I buy a truck. I have had mine for 9 years almost to date and driven a Ram now for 21 years straight but have to face the reality of another brand next! Shame on Dodge!

- , Hartselle, AL, US

Jun 012006

Ram 1500 4.7L V8

2002 Ram 1500 owner the same as the others. Dash started with small crack around 60K miles in 2006. Since then it has steadily disintegrated. Embarrassing and I apologize for Dodge, their quality, and the truck's appearance to everyone who rides with me. I would NEVER purchase another Dodge product based upon my experience with this issue and the ball joints (both upper and lower) again.

Update from Mar 25, 2013: The dash has completed disintegrated. Pieces have fallen into the ducting and a piece has become lodged in the mechanism that switches the air from the floor to the cabin. I have no ability to defrost my windshield so I never drive the truck when I think I might need the defroster to work. A very dangerous situation - if I get caught unprepared! I asked my Dodge dealer about replacing the dash and he told me that a replacement would come disintegrate like the original one - so it would be on me, and up to me. He also said it would cost at least $500 to remove what is left of my dash to find/fix the problem with the air control. I would never recommend, nor purchase another Dodge truck after this experience.

- , Buford, GA, USA

Dec 022010

Ram 1500

Pieces of the dash are falling down and getting into the engine compartment and causing problems!

- , Clarksville, TN, USA

Jan 012006

Ram 1500 SLT V8

I am very dissatisfied with the cracking dashboard as much as we took care to treat it Armour all, window shield, shade, the fact that the dash did not hold up. I have a 1977 ford pickup and the dash is in perfect condition. my 2006 Lincoln mark lt is also in great condition. I feel dodge should do something for the many of us that are having this problem, You don't pay $20K for a truck and then be quoted $1400.00 to replace the dash by local dodge dealer. Please Dodge be accountable for your products.

- , Hobbs, NM, USA

Jul 012007

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L V8

Same complaint as everyone else I've spoken to. Dodge refuses to fix the problem or recall the product for replacement.

- , Kerrville, TX, USA

Nov 012010

Ram 1500 318

Developed an obvious and open crack right in front of the steering wheel.

- , Winnie, TX, USA

May 032010

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L V8

I finally paid off the truck, within months the dashboard started to crack. That was about a year ago. The crack has gotten larger and is starting to open up. I had planned to drive this truck for years. Now the Toyota, Tundra is starting to look good. One thing for sure my next truck will NOT be a Ram.

- , Salt Lake City, UT, USA

Feb 112011

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L V8

My dodge ram 1500 was taken in for heater repair, they cracked the dash and since then when I barely touched the vents they disintegrated and fell inside. Not sure how this will affect the heater and air conditioning.

- , Downey, CA, US

Feb 162006

Ram 1500 Sport 4.7L

I have owned my Dodge Ram Sport (2002) since 2003 and about 2 years after ownership I noticed that the speaker vent cover's started deteriorating. Shortly after that a hairline crack in the dash appeared and has progressively got worse, now it has reached about a 1/4" gap....it looks like s@#t. This should have been a recall issue. If anyone is interested in a class action suit please advise me.

- , West Palm Beach, FL, US Minor Outlying Islands

Apr 012009

Ram 1500 LS 314

I have been a Dodge person forever, but within the last couple of years they have completely shredded any pride I had about being a Dodge person. For the last 30 years and even further back there has always been one and most times two Dodges in my driveway, but never again. I have a 2002 Dodge 1500 truck and at around 60,000 miles the dashboard started cracking up, and I mean bad. With constant pressure on then, between me and the dealership, they finally paid for another. Over the past two years I have put two sets of ball joints on this truck and believe me that is not cheap. This truck as of now has 96,000 miles on it and it has been taken very good care of. When freshly washed looks as if just came off the showroom floor. I'm just totally dissatisfied with Dodge and their "Mexican" built trucks.

- , Zavalla, TX, USA

Oct 012010

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

click to see larger images

cracks in dashboard cracks in dashboard

Cracked dashboard due to defects in Dodge manufacturing. Should be replaced on their dime.

Update from Sep 8, 2011: After talking to Dodge customer service, I went to the dealer service department and they said that it wouldnt be covered. Nice job on backing your products. Not buying a Dodge ever again!

- , Chico, CA, USA

May 152008

Ram 1500 Sport 4.7L V8

At 85,000 miles I began to experience the dash board disease of the Dodge. at $1,800 to fix the problem I couldn't afford it and felt too that it should have been covered under warranty. Currently at 114,000 miles the dash board has fully fallen in. Dodge will never get another $30k from me or anyone in my family. My Uncle traded his Dodge Ram in when he saw what happened to mine and how I was treated. He said " the hell if they'll do that to me." He bought a Nissan Titan, no issues and a little envious over here.

- , Aliso Viejo, CA, USA

Sep 012010

Ram 1500 SE V8

the truck is in mint condition, except the dash. it looks horrible, cracked, with big holes, from where the plastic fell thru, I can here parts in the fan, and once it fell to the floor while driving, right by the peddle. very dangerous with the jagged edges. Plus it looks like crap....

- , Hudson, FL, USA

Nov 102010

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L V8

Dash split from window to front of dash. I have always taken good care of my truck and this problem just kills me. From rotors to new rear ends..... I'm done with Dodge!

- , Middletown, OH, USA

Aug 222004

Ram 1500

The biggest problem is the heat isn't working.IT IS WINTER!!! Mechanical problems in the cracked dash.

- , Robbins, NC, USA