CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2002 has the well-known and documented problem with their dashboards falling to pieces, but it also has engine failure from oil sludge. That's a doube shot of awful in your morning coffee.

8.2

1. Dodge should recall the dashboard (safety issue) (271 reports)
  3. replace dashboard (92 reports)
  4. class action lawsuit against Dodge for inferior dashboards (14 reports)
  5. bought an aftermarket dash replacement (2 reports)
  6. dashboard, vents, radio replacement (1 reports)
2002 Dodge Ram 1500 accessories - interior problems

2002 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 12 of 25)

Nov 032010

Ram 1500 LX 4.7L

Cracked dash, will cost me $350 for part only, not sure on installation. Called Dodge, they didn't care, just kept telling me how it was not a recall issue. Also had to replace my engine, radiator, water pump, thermostats, radiator caps, gas cap, and now the dash!

She's a beauty but I'll never buy Dodge again!

- , Round Rock, TX, US

Jan 102011

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L Diesel

my dash is just about to fall off in my lap it is beginning to look like a jigsaw puzzle with missing pieces it broke again today , cutting my hand as I tried to wipe it off with a dust cloth

- , Coy, AR, USA

Jul 082010

Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4X4

I'm one of many with this problem. It is apparent that this is a defective product (the dashboard must be from China), and Dodge will not do anything to correct the problem. This is my first and last Dodge!!!

- , Baltimore, MD, USA

Jan 012008

Ram 1500 SLT V8

The dash started with a hair line crack and did not think much of it. Took it to an auto body shop which informed me that Dodge had numerous problems with the dash cracking and that Dodge was doing nothing about it. They told me that it would be expensive to replace so I choose not to. There are many sharp edges so there is a safety issue.

- , Brooksville, FL, USA

Dec 012010

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L 8cyl

Dash has cracked all the way across in numerous places. It is an eyesore and needs to be recalled and fixed. Dodge needs to step up and fix a bad situation.

- , Cropwell, AL, USA

Jun 282008

Ram 1500 SLS 4.7L V8

My problem was first reported to Dodge and NHTSA in July 2008. At that time I was told by Dodge to contact my local dealer, but after reading other posts I felt they would not replace the dash under a defect warranty. As my dash has gotten worse I thought I would check online to see what Dodge has done and they have done NOTHING about these dashboards. As many other people have posted I will not buy another Chrysler/Dodge product. I feel we all are dreaming that our nightmare with Dodge will end. Doubt it.

- , Murrieta, CA, US

Dec 232010

Ram 1500 V8

Thought "hey we can just cover up the cracks. Now I see a lot of other have this problem. Now I am worried.

- , Lamont, FL, USA

Jul 062009

Ram 1500

click to see larger images

cracks in dashboard cracks in dashboard

Dodge step up to the issue and get this taken care of. This ruined me to buy another dodge especially if they don't get it taken care of. I was told by a dodge dealership that I did not keep the dash moist enough, more less telling me that I didn't clean it enough. What a crock of an excuse.

Everyday that I get in my truck and see this it just ruins my day.

Update from Mar 27, 2013: Cracks are getting worse and there are areas of the dashboard that are about ready to fall through.

- , Shawnee, KS, USA

Nov 192010

Ram 1500 Sport 5.9L

I bought thi thing new and paid for it then and there and have taken great care of it and to have a crack all the way across the dash on something as new as this starts messing up it is just not exceptable I love my Dodge products but if I can't count on the quaility of these things any more I will buy something else in the future.

- , Shelby, NC, USA

Apr 092009

Ram 1500 4.7L

Once one crack started more followed each month. Looks bad. Dodge needs to pay,if it falls in, dash could cause problems of safety.

- , Athens, OH, USA

Nov 022010

Ram 1500 4.7L

I keep my truck clean and make sure oil changed, transmission fluid changed and any other work that needs to be done. I don't abuse my truck and it makes me mad that the dash board has cracked. I have had other truck and kept them a long time and never have I had this problem.

- , Spanish Fort, AL, USA

Jul 052010

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L V8

When I bought the truck 4 years ago, the dash looked great. Within six months I started seeing small cracks appear around the area of the passenger air bag. The situation continued to worsen over time until I had my heater core replaced this summer. When they brought my truck to me, I was almost sick with how bad it looked. The grill that covered the defrost vents were nearly all gone. I don't even know how they were able to re-install the dash after the repair, it is in pieces.

- , Cleburne, TX, USA

Oct 012010

Ram 1500 5.9L

I can't believe an auto manufacturer the size of dodge would ignore a problem like this. After all the hard earned money people spend on these trucks and cars , you want them to hold up and have some resale value. What a f**king joke -_-

- , Bowling Green, KY, US

Mar 102010

Ram 1500 SEL

click to see larger images

cracks in dashboard cracks in dashboard cracks in dashboard cracks in dashboard cracks in dashboard cracks in dashboard

try to pull up and cracked dash board and it cut me, cost is to much to replace afraid this problem might damage electronics and damage defroster vents and the looks are very intimadating and don't what other problems could arise.

Update from Nov 17, 2010: it is a 3500 not a 1500

Update from Aug 21, 2011: I now have two big holes in my dash one is about 8x10 inches and the other is about 7x9 inches its is time that Dodge step up and omit that they put faulty dash in these trucks, come be the company that you should be and make right.

- , Montevallo, AL, USA

Jul 152007

Ram 1500

dash is now in five sections and is a real pain. there are pieces falling off and dodge needs to take care of this situation or next time i will be forced to buy a japanese truck to keep it together.

- , Johnson City, TN, USA

Apr 122006

Ram 1500 SLE 4.7L

Dash Boards definitely should last longer than than it takes to pay the car off in 4 years. This is a shame. The dash board has gaping cracks in it that are impossible to fix. I've given up all hope to fix and a replacement costs way too much so I have hid this ugly situation by covering with a Dashmat. This is only temporary though. Someday soon the whole dash mat will probably fall into the instrument panel...

Then I'll take the dashmat off and ride around for the whole world to see the CRAPPY materials that DODGE uses in it cars. That will speak volumes all by itself and should lead people to buy more of their trucks....NOT!

- , Tampa, FL, USA

May 202004

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

I really like my truck ecept for the dashboard coming apart like it has. Dodge needs to recall these dashboards and have the problem fixed. I know serval people with Dodge Truks and have this same problem. At this present time I do not know if I will buy another Dodge or not, because the dashboard all to pieces in my truck.

- , Coldwater, MS, USA

Jun 012007

Ram 1500 SLT 4.6

I bought this truck in 07, with one crack. I though it wasn't too bad, and I could fix it myself. WRONG! Soon after, there were multiple cracks, and it seemed like there was a new one every time I went over a bump or hit a pothole. I am very partial to Dodges, seeing how I used to work for them, but if this continues, I will take my business elsewhere. I cant afford $400 to put in a new dash, even if I do the work myself!!

- , Indian Head, MD, USA

Oct 182010

Ram 1500 LT 4.7L

dodge has issues, if they want to be consider american made they need to back there product. Its no wonder american autos are losing sales. I am from th generation who lived breathed and died for the american auto industry.

- , Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Jun 012008

Ram 1500 SRT

The dash (very top next to the windhshield) on my 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 began cracking with less than 50,000 miles and around the 4-5 year mark. Between 50-60,000, the entire top portioin of the dash cracked into pieces and fell behind the dash and into the a/c vents. I purchased a new top cover from an auto replacement parts company online for over $100 but it is a non-stock item and does not fit well. Now, the next section is cracked in half...i wonder how much this will cost me. maybe I should just sell this POS and buy a Tundra!

WHAT A POS!! I CANNOT BELIEVE I SPENT SO MUCH MONEY ON A TRUCK WITH POS PARTS. Not to mention, I have been screwed at the dealer twice!! I agreed to 7.1% financing and a month later i learned they submitted it at 7.3%- BASTARDS!!. Then i go to have one of the door mirrors fixed. The mechanic told me he would do it free if I got additional services. I agreed..LATER TO FIND OUT IT WAS A WARRANTY ITEM THEY WERE REQUIRED TO FIX FOR FREE. BASTARDS! I AM SO DONE WITH DODGE IT IS NOT EVEN FUNNY! HEY DODGE CEO RALPH GILLES - FU!

- , Port Saint Lucie, FL, US