CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2002 has the well-known and documented problem with their dashboards falling to pieces, but it also has engine failure from oil sludge. That's a doube shot of awful in your morning coffee.

8.2

1. Dodge should recall the dashboard (safety issue) (274 reports)
  3. replace dashboard (94 reports)
  4. class action lawsuit against Dodge for inferior dashboards (15 reports)
  5. bought an aftermarket dash replacement (2 reports)
  6. dashboard, vents, radio replacement (1 reports)
2002 Dodge Ram 1500 accessories - interior problems

2002 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 12 of 25)

Feb 162006

Ram 1500 Sport 4.7L

I have owned my Dodge Ram Sport (2002) since 2003 and about 2 years after ownership I noticed that the speaker vent cover's started deteriorating. Shortly after that a hairline crack in the dash appeared and has progressively got worse, now it has reached about a 1/4" gap....it looks like s@#t. This should have been a recall issue. If anyone is interested in a class action suit please advise me.

- , West Palm Beach, FL, US Minor Outlying Islands

Apr 012009

Ram 1500 LS 314

I have been a Dodge person forever, but within the last couple of years they have completely shredded any pride I had about being a Dodge person. For the last 30 years and even further back there has always been one and most times two Dodges in my driveway, but never again. I have a 2002 Dodge 1500 truck and at around 60,000 miles the dashboard started cracking up, and I mean bad. With constant pressure on then, between me and the dealership, they finally paid for another. Over the past two years I have put two sets of ball joints on this truck and believe me that is not cheap. This truck as of now has 96,000 miles on it and it has been taken very good care of. When freshly washed looks as if just came off the showroom floor. I'm just totally dissatisfied with Dodge and their "Mexican" built trucks.

- , Zavalla, TX, USA

Oct 012010

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

click to see larger images

cracks in dashboard cracks in dashboard

Cracked dashboard due to defects in Dodge manufacturing. Should be replaced on their dime.

Update from Sep 8, 2011: After talking to Dodge customer service, I went to the dealer service department and they said that it wouldnt be covered. Nice job on backing your products. Not buying a Dodge ever again!

- , Chico, CA, USA

May 152008

Ram 1500 Sport 4.7L V8

At 85,000 miles I began to experience the dash board disease of the Dodge. at $1,800 to fix the problem I couldn't afford it and felt too that it should have been covered under warranty. Currently at 114,000 miles the dash board has fully fallen in. Dodge will never get another $30k from me or anyone in my family. My Uncle traded his Dodge Ram in when he saw what happened to mine and how I was treated. He said " the hell if they'll do that to me." He bought a Nissan Titan, no issues and a little envious over here.

- , Aliso Viejo, CA, USA

Sep 012010

Ram 1500 SE V8

the truck is in mint condition, except the dash. it looks horrible, cracked, with big holes, from where the plastic fell thru, I can here parts in the fan, and once it fell to the floor while driving, right by the peddle. very dangerous with the jagged edges. Plus it looks like crap....

- , Hudson, FL, USA

Nov 102010

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L V8

Dash split from window to front of dash. I have always taken good care of my truck and this problem just kills me. From rotors to new rear ends..... I'm done with Dodge!

- , Middletown, OH, USA

Aug 222004

Ram 1500

The biggest problem is the heat isn't working.IT IS WINTER!!! Mechanical problems in the cracked dash.

- , Robbins, NC, USA

Nov 032010

Ram 1500 LX 4.7L

Cracked dash, will cost me $350 for part only, not sure on installation. Called Dodge, they didn't care, just kept telling me how it was not a recall issue. Also had to replace my engine, radiator, water pump, thermostats, radiator caps, gas cap, and now the dash!

She's a beauty but I'll never buy Dodge again!

- , Round Rock, TX, US

Jan 102011

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L Diesel

my dash is just about to fall off in my lap it is beginning to look like a jigsaw puzzle with missing pieces it broke again today , cutting my hand as I tried to wipe it off with a dust cloth

- , Coy, AR, USA

Jul 082010

Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4X4

I'm one of many with this problem. It is apparent that this is a defective product (the dashboard must be from China), and Dodge will not do anything to correct the problem. This is my first and last Dodge!!!

- , Baltimore, MD, USA

Jan 012008

Ram 1500 SLT V8

The dash started with a hair line crack and did not think much of it. Took it to an auto body shop which informed me that Dodge had numerous problems with the dash cracking and that Dodge was doing nothing about it. They told me that it would be expensive to replace so I choose not to. There are many sharp edges so there is a safety issue.

- , Brooksville, FL, USA

Dec 012010

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L 8cyl

Dash has cracked all the way across in numerous places. It is an eyesore and needs to be recalled and fixed. Dodge needs to step up and fix a bad situation.

- , Cropwell, AL, USA

Jun 282008

Ram 1500 SLS 4.7L V8

My problem was first reported to Dodge and NHTSA in July 2008. At that time I was told by Dodge to contact my local dealer, but after reading other posts I felt they would not replace the dash under a defect warranty. As my dash has gotten worse I thought I would check online to see what Dodge has done and they have done NOTHING about these dashboards. As many other people have posted I will not buy another Chrysler/Dodge product. I feel we all are dreaming that our nightmare with Dodge will end. Doubt it.

- , Murrieta, CA, US

Dec 232010

Ram 1500 V8

Thought "hey we can just cover up the cracks. Now I see a lot of other have this problem. Now I am worried.

- , Lamont, FL, USA

Jul 062009

Ram 1500

click to see larger images

cracks in dashboard cracks in dashboard

Dodge step up to the issue and get this taken care of. This ruined me to buy another dodge especially if they don't get it taken care of. I was told by a dodge dealership that I did not keep the dash moist enough, more less telling me that I didn't clean it enough. What a crock of an excuse.

Everyday that I get in my truck and see this it just ruins my day.

Update from Mar 27, 2013: Cracks are getting worse and there are areas of the dashboard that are about ready to fall through.

- , Shawnee, KS, USA

Nov 192010

Ram 1500 Sport 5.9L

I bought thi thing new and paid for it then and there and have taken great care of it and to have a crack all the way across the dash on something as new as this starts messing up it is just not exceptable I love my Dodge products but if I can't count on the quaility of these things any more I will buy something else in the future.

- , Shelby, NC, USA

Apr 092009

Ram 1500 4.7L

Once one crack started more followed each month. Looks bad. Dodge needs to pay,if it falls in, dash could cause problems of safety.

- , Athens, OH, USA

Nov 022010

Ram 1500 4.7L

I keep my truck clean and make sure oil changed, transmission fluid changed and any other work that needs to be done. I don't abuse my truck and it makes me mad that the dash board has cracked. I have had other truck and kept them a long time and never have I had this problem.

- , Spanish Fort, AL, USA

Jul 052010

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L V8

When I bought the truck 4 years ago, the dash looked great. Within six months I started seeing small cracks appear around the area of the passenger air bag. The situation continued to worsen over time until I had my heater core replaced this summer. When they brought my truck to me, I was almost sick with how bad it looked. The grill that covered the defrost vents were nearly all gone. I don't even know how they were able to re-install the dash after the repair, it is in pieces.

- , Cleburne, TX, USA

Oct 012010

Ram 1500 5.9L

I can't believe an auto manufacturer the size of dodge would ignore a problem like this. After all the hard earned money people spend on these trucks and cars , you want them to hold up and have some resale value. What a f**king joke -_-

- , Bowling Green, KY, US